RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cant justify new 330

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-03, 05:41 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cant justify new 330

I have an o1 RX, It is fully loaded with every option including nav. I bought if for tax, title, out the door for 37k. I have 74k miles on it with zero problems. Still runs and rides like brand new. I still have the original michelin ltx tires on it. If I was to replace it with a new 330 it would about 45k. That is a big price jump. Yes, it might be overall better but my god, is it that much better. Just giving my opinion, what are your opinions.
Old 03-31-03, 09:51 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyo: It's just human nature, we all want the newest toys Sounds like your RX is running great. Wait a a year or two...by then you'll likely be able to get the RX330 near at a substantial discount. And in the unlikely event the new RX330 has any bugs (like the '98 and some '99 GS's), they'll be worked out by then. IMO, it's not worth paying the premium price for the new RX.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 04-01-03 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-31-03, 10:46 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the options are higher priced for the 330, with a fully loaded one coming in @ GX entry-level prices. I, for one, always want the newest body design for my ride; but that's just me. I say go for it if that's what you want. Do you REALLY need all the options? I always comment to my friends that people should buy the top-of-the-line for their specific model; but I'm starting to realize that to some people, they don't need all the bells & whistles. Maybe just the bells!

When first pricing the 330 I wanted, it came out to $45K!?! I want to spend UNDER $40K. If Lexus.com package prices are correct, and I can get the options I want together, my 330 should come out to low/mid $39K. 2WD (beautiful weather in Hawaii!), w/ Premium Pack, +HID's, wood/leather wheel, 18" rims. I don't need the power rear door, so why not save $400 and skip the Premium Plus pack? Nav is not offered, or needed in Hawaii, so the $6K pack is out the door anyway.

Bottom line, the higher price is worth it!
Old 04-01-03, 03:40 PM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im sticking with my 00 RX300. The new 330 looks good outside but the interior is no improvment. Am I wrong on this?

Old 04-01-03, 05:09 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Just my humble opinion - One week update

IMHO, the interior is the biggest improvement in the 330. The exterior styling is more aggressive looking, but the overall look (shape/color of lights, grill, hood, etc.) and size bears a lot of resemblance to the first generation, which I really liked.

After having an '01 RX for about a year and a half, the biggest change I noticed as soon as I sat in the 330 (before buying it) was the interior. The materials are incredible, on par w/ most of the other Lexus lineup. For instance, the door paneling is in stitched leather, instead of that cheap vinyl or other material they used to have. That out-of-place elastic pouch behind the driver and passenger seat is now replaced by a beautiful flush leather backing. The dash and console area use a tough textured leather (similar to BMW) instead of the old synthetic leather look from the old generation. Although the alum console was a bit much to look at when I first saw it, it has really grown on me in the last week of owning the car. Very sporty. I think they must have tried doing all wood, but it probably looked too gawdy and too over-done, since the area to be covered is quite big. It's controversial, yes, but it's one of those things - either you love it or hate it.

About the engine noise, yes, it is noisier than the 300, but really only at acceleration. I think the cruising volume is much reduced in the new 330, and the more aerodynamic design reduces wind noise by at least 50%. So overall, your total noise level has been reduced from 300 to 330. The extra 5th gear in the 330 gives the car a lower rpm at higher speeds, which greatly reduces engine noises and road noise on the highway at speeds 50mph and up. And yes, engine noise altogether is not very Lexus-like, but as someone else mentioned, the new RX is trying to get away from soccer mom image and into more sporty territory. As a woman, I prefer quiet also, but the better cruising engine volume is more than enough to compensate for a stronger sounding throttle at acceleration.

I LOVED the "old" RX - what a fun car to drive and very practical for all purposes. Even now, it still beats out its main competitors - Acura MDX, Volvo XC90, MB ML350, etc.

But . . . I'm a gadget freak and a "lazy" driver, so I had to get the new toys! (esp the power lift gate and the Nav system) Honestly, yes, it was quite a bit of money to spend (I never thought I'd pay sticker for any car in my life), but the enhancements are hard to give up. But part of the price I'm paying is the "newness" of the model. I am aware of that, but it's been fun owning a car that gets looks here and there! So far, I haven't seen any on the road in my area - what a hoot! It's like owning a Ferrari - well, not really, but you get the picture!!
Old 04-01-03, 05:45 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I need to clarify myself, I think the 330 is most likely the best suv out there for the money. I cant believe with my car personality that I have not put an order in for a new one. My wife is the sole driver of our RX, I drive it maybe once a week. Everytime I get in it I just cant believe how well this car is holding up. We had a very early 99 Rx, it was a rattle trap compared to this one. As long as my wife is happy, I'm happy. My play car is a 2002 BMW M3 convertible, so car expenses have kinda jumped for me. My dailey driver is a 1987 Toyota 4runner. That thing just wont die.