RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Throwing money at my problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 03:59 PM
snydertalo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Throwing money at my problems...

I've had an odd chirping for the last nine months (post here with video of noise further down page: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ing-noise.html). I bought a car stethoscope but have realized I have no idea how to use it. In short, I am no further now than I was six months ago with my original post. 120K is around the corner, I do not know what the original owner replaced and figure I should just start swapping out parts for reliability.

I have the following questions or parts I plan on replacing:

- Belt | Probably replace, though it seems tight and the ribbing seems fine. I figure if I have everything out and have to remove the old one, I might as well spend $15 - $25 and not have to worry about it.

- Belt Tensioner | It only makes the sound at idle. One person had the same noise and it was the tensioner.

- Idler | Another person had the same sound, it was the idler (FML). It just sucks that there are two of them. Does anyone know if they are the same part? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...d-it-29526.png)

- Water pump | Another person (Seriously FML) had the same noise and it was their water pump. The only symptom I have that it could be the WP is the noise. There is no dried coolant on it, wet coolant on it, or loss of fluid in the cooling system.

- Thermostat | While I'm there....

- Radiator drain **** | In case I break the other one. I've broken too many of them to not have the part on hand.

Is there anything else anyone can suggest?

Also, the prices I got for all of the above are (before shipping or tax):
- All Lexus/Toyota = 398
- All ACDELCO = 317
- All Dayco = 268

How much better worse is ACDELCO or DAYCO than Toyota OEM?

*all work will be done myself in a stall with a lift.
Old 07-02-15, 04:36 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What year is your Lexus RX? You might want to look up the work done at Lexus by the prior owner. If you register at the Lexus Drivers website the entire service history, warranty and recall work of your car will be there. You need the VIN to complete the registration.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 07-02-15, 11:39 PM
snydertalo
Driver

It is a 2007 FWD. The maintenance record from 60K - 106K is blank. Currently at 118k.
Old 07-03-15, 06:31 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

if you are referring to accessory belts and not the timing belt. Dayco/AcDelco parts are ok.
If it is the timing belt and associated pulleys and water pump. Toyota OEM or AISIN parts.
Toyota OEM for the thermostat only.
Old 07-03-15, 07:15 AM
Rainbird

He has a 2007 RX350 and it has a timing chain instead of a belt. Since there is no maintenance record after 60K miles I would change the water pump and the spark plugs that are scheduled for replacement at 120K miles. Also check the condition of brakes and replace the fluid.

Last edited by Rainbird; 07-03-15 at 04:06 PM. Reason: edited info
Old 07-03-15, 10:48 AM
snydertalo
Driver

Originally Posted by Rainbird
He has a 2007 RX350 and it has a timing chain instead of a belt. Since there is no maintenance record after 60K miles I would change the water pump and the spark plugs that are scheduled for replacement at 120K miles. Also check the condition of brakes and replace the fluid.
Use Toyota Long Life World Standard transmission fluid only.
I thought that we were not supposed to change the transmission fluid at all. I can't provide a link, I just remember reading it.
Old 07-03-15, 11:50 AM
snydertalo
Driver

I just noticed that it only chirps when in drive. It goes away in park.

Also, it makes no noise when the belt is removed.

Last edited by snydertalo; 07-03-15 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-03-15, 03:58 PM
Rainbird

Originally Posted by snydertalo
I thought that we were not supposed to change the transmission fluid at all. I can't provide a link, I just remember reading it.
Sorry typing ahead of my brain. I should have said - Toyota Long Life Coolant. The WS Transmission fluid is listed by Lexus as lifetime. (although many customers don't believe that).
Old 07-06-15, 09:28 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys have to much time on your hands...
Old 07-08-15, 07:10 AM
snydertalo
Driver

Default Water Pump Pulley

Has anyone replaced the waterpump pulley (16173-31010) or just the water pump (16100-09441)
Old 07-08-15, 07:24 AM
Rainbird

DIY Water Pump

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ater-pump.html
Old 07-08-15, 09:11 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The chirping is likely just a pulley. Especially if it doesn't do it when the belt is removed.
Old 07-08-15, 08:25 PM
snydertalo
Driver

Originally Posted by Rainbird
I am not sure how this helps...

Originally Posted by Neucorp - OP from above link
I chose not to replace any pulley's - just the pump, related o-rings, and the thermostat.
I'll ask again and then rephrase

Originally Posted by Me
Has anyone replaced the waterpump pulley (16173-31010) or just the water pump (16100-09441)
Are people concerned about their water pump pulley's reliability when they replace the water pump?
Old 07-08-15, 08:28 PM
snydertalo
Driver

Originally Posted by jakenbake
The chirping is likely just a pulley. Especially if it doesn't do it when the belt is removed.
That's what I think it is, but I don't know which one. I've tried the water bottle test and squirted the different pulleys but heard no difference. I figure I will replace the three most likely (tensioner and 2 idlers). I also tried the mechanic's stethoscope and cannot tell what is what.

While I'm in there, since I don't know how old it is I feel like I should replace the water pump.
Old 07-09-15, 01:43 PM
rxpx40
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your power steering pump is down and to the rear of the engine compartment as it is on The Wife's '04 RX330, then you might try to snug that up a tad. Her car had a short squeal at startup. I tightened the %$ out of the alternator thinking that was the problem. Discovered the PS pump belt was loose. :Facepalm:

Quick Reply: Throwing money at my problems...