RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-03, 04:48 PM
Coollexus2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please tell me what you think

I am trying to decide which suv i should get. My choices are the Lexus RX330, Volvo XC90, and the Acura MDX. My requirements are that it has to handle well in the snow and I only really need seating for 2 people. Please give me your oppinions on these 3 suvs. Which one do you think will handle best in the snow and will have the most luxury features? Your oppinions will help me to make a decision. Thank You

Last edited by Coollexus2; 03-29-03 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-29-03, 07:55 PM
eyebike
Driver

The RX330 of course. All 3 should do pretty well in snow. The MDX is front wheel drive and goes into awd as needed. Lexus is awd all the time. Can't remember how the volvo is. MDX also the widest of the 3. Comparable in speed (0-60) to RX. MDX handles okay, but IMO felt like I was driving my minivan. The new RX will handle better, especially model with performance package. It's also smaller and 500 lbs lighter, so will feel a bit more nimble.

The volvo is the heaviest and also the slowest. Wt is about 4600 lbs, MDX 4450, RX 4000. I've seen 0-60 times of 8.6-9.3 depending on the engine. RX is 7.8 with awd. Quality wise, Volvos havent been all that reliable, whereas Lexus has outstanding record in that department. Acura's are very reliable too.
Old 03-29-03, 08:12 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I really like the MDX, never had any experiences with an XC90. However, I think the XC90 looks good and is very safe. However, I have always felt that the RX is the perfect choice among what you are looking if you don't need a third-row seat (or the extra cargo capacity).

The RX330 is well above the others in terms of luxury and amenities.
Old 03-29-03, 09:14 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by LexRX
The RX330 is well above the others in terms of luxury and amenities.
I have to agree...I was completely impressed by the quality of the RX330 at the Lexus test drive event. Although I'm just not too crazy about the rear design, the interior is fantastic.

The MDX is a fine vehicle, but lacks the refinement of the new RX and some goodies like HID's. The Volvo leaves me underwhelmed, the interior (expecially the dash layout) is not in the same league as the RX330.
Old 03-30-03, 12:24 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree w/ the previous post. i test drove the XC90 as well before picking up my new RX330, and without sounding too harsh, nice try, Volvo . . .

i think it's a great first pass at an SUV by Volvo, and it's won some acclaim since its debut, but that was *before* the RX330 was introduced. the interior leaves A LOT to be desired. the materials are just not on the same level as Lexus. and the "wow" factor is non-existent if you've previously owned or driven a Lexus. the one i test drove was the "turbo" AWD w/ some kind of basic package, but no nav, 3rd row seats, upgraded sound or DVD. not to mention other goodies like power lift gate, telescoping wheel, etc. and it was already more than $42k. what a joke! the salesman was completely lost for words when i told him about the new RX and the starting price to fully loaded price.

i imagine the XC90 will no longer be in hot demand or selling for MSRP once the RX330 becomes readily attainable.
Old 03-30-03, 06:07 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you to eliminate the Volvo from your list.

Here in Mexico City, one of the worst, if not the worst place, to have your car and drive it, the Volvo dealership will not let anyone take the XC90 above about 40 mph equivalent. In fact, no high speed turns, slamming on the brakes. Instead, they force you to do a Sunday picnic drive. Privately, I heard from both the Land Rover dealership and the Lincoln dealership (both of course owned by Ford), that the Volvo just cannot handle the pressure that other SUVs can do with regard to handling. The XC90s are selling horribly down here. In fact, they have had two returns of the vehicle at that very dealership in the last month due to customer dissatisfaction with the handling.
Old 03-30-03, 07:06 AM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

Well, we were choosing between the 330, XC90, X5, and yes, even the MB e-class at one point! Believe it or not (if my memory serves) the e-class had exactly the same rear seat space and about 1 ft^2 less cargo room than the X5.

Anyway, we've got two kids to accomodate (2 yrs & 6 mos.) and had always assumed that we'd go for an X5 since we liked the 5 series platform so much. However the backseat is a little on the tight side so we opened our parameters a bit and looked at the, at that time, newly introduced e-class. We eventually nixed the sedan as "too nice" and headed for an SUV - wanted the combo of 'luxury' and capacity.

Strictly from the marketing, we put off our decision to buy an X5 and wait for the XC90. Even put a deposit on an XC before driving or seeing it in person - after driving and finally seeing the 'graphite' interior - well, it just didn't make the cut. Yes, the drive was very car-like however my memory is that, for me, it was a little too mushy. Including the steering. I really don't mind the exterior too much. And, while my wife has done more of the research than I have, the Volvo 'safety machine' is probably a little overrated - or maybe I should say - other manufacturers are not as far behind as they might like you to believe. In addition to all the above, Volvo just doesn't seem to have their act together on the XC. I mean, they were late to deliver (not because of sinking ships either) and still are not keeping up with the orders they have, I swear to God they stuck the ugliest wood trim they could find in there as an afterthought, you still can not get a factory installed RSES, and right now, the dealers are getting such a premium - the thing is at least 5K overpriced for what you get IMO.

Luckily Lexus decided to release the info on the 330 when they did b/c I feel it is the best combo of 'luxury' and space. I guess I should also mention here that I wan't interested necessarily in going to an 8 cylinder engine - trying to do my social duty I guess. The 330's got more space than the X5, less than the XC but I think the difference is negligible - the third row for us was not really going to help us very much given the age of our kids and how long we expect to have the car. The 330 is definitely more technilogically advanced than the current X5 and it's a very close second in the 'luxury' dept.

I finally got to drive a 330 last night - although the salesman wouldn't let us drive alone and the drive was short, I did enjoy the drive. I was afraid the "Lexus Trademark" buttery smooth drive would be too smooth but with the 18" wheels and standard suspension I was happy with the stiffness. Could I stand more? Probably, but it's not serious enough for me to give up the other goodies just to get the air susp. Body roll was about the worst thing I noticed on my drive however don't forget that my memory is freshest with the 330.

I'll have to admit that the newly sloping roofline gives the appearance of less room in the cargo area than the 300 but I couldn't compare them side by side - maybe later.

I was definitely NOT used to the backup camera - it was a little weird. I can see where the C pillar could cause a problem but I felt with proper mirror position and familiarity with the camera that possibly could be eliminated.

Those are my $.02 - I'll write more if I think of anything. Good luck!