Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX400h - Error C1203, VSC & ABS lights on after replacing battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 09:05 AM
bennecc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation RX400h - Error C1203, VSC & ABS lights on after replacing battery

Last week I took my wife's 2007 RX400h into the shop because the triangular maintenance required warning light was on. A short while after I dropped the car off the technician called me and said that the 12v battery was dead and needed to be replaced.

At that time he told me that he thought chances were 60/40 that replacing the battery and resetting the lights would solve the problem.

After replacing the battery he called me back and said that replacing the battery did not solve the problem and that something was wrong with the ABS system and to replace it would be about $3k.

The error codes he is getting are C1203 and 3 other related codes: C1345, C1210, & C1336.

Now in addition to the maintenance required light, the ABS, BRAKE, Slip Indicator, and Brake System Warning lights are on. The display reads Check VSC system and check AWD. So my understanding is that the ABS, traction control, and AWD are all disabled.

I've read how using some code readers can cause similar issues. I have followed the instructions to use a jump wire in the OBD reader to clear and perform Zero Point Calibration, but that didn't help. Neither did disconnecting the battery and ABS related fuses.

Maybe I am just in denial, but I am finding it hard to believe that the problem is with the ABS system....what are the chances that it would fail at the same time the battery is dying and providing low voltage? It seems much more likely that it is something to do with the battery being replaced that is causing the problem.

For what its worth, the shop I took the car to was not a dealer but is a shop that only works on honda/acura/toyota/lexus.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I take it in to the dealer for another opinion?
Old 06-07-15, 01:20 PM
bennecc
Driver School Candidate

Bueller? anyone?
Old 10-17-15, 07:48 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bennecc
Bueller? anyone?
Did you ever solve this problem?

I took my car into get an alignment and all the lights came on during the alignment.

The tech connected the OBD2 equipment to the car during the alignment. He tried about 4 times in 4 different days to fix the problem but couldn't. Sent me to his buddy at the Toyota dealer where they told me my ECU and brake actuator is fried and the cost to fix is $3100.

The alignment shop isn't claiming responsibility.

Kind of stuck at this point right now.
Old 10-17-15, 08:44 AM
maximizese
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I experienced something similar when my wife's 12V battery died. I noticed all the motorized components were working much slower than usual one day. She drove it around for the day and told me the VSC System Check warning came on and went away. The very next day, the car wouldn't "Ready" for her. I grabbed my multimeter and drew
Old 01-29-16, 05:44 AM
mjanton
Driver School Candidate

benecc or joedaddy1

The same thing happened to me after an alignment at Firestone in 2015. Did you figure out how to fix? How did you resolve? I have a case open with firestone but they are waiting for a year for Lexus to call them back. Thanks..
Old 01-30-16, 04:31 PM
Steven976
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This VSC and ABS lights came on when usually battery died. The computer stuck... what happened? your service guy put the battery in to your car and he did not tied the battery down, than he start the engine. Not sure why he did that, so before your computer can do the test the battery is disconnected and your system check is fault.

what you can do? )) take your car in the garage or any place where is at list 50F. the computer do different test under 50. than disconnect the battery. Wait at list 1 hour. Usually RX computers reset after 35 min. Not all! Some european once is takes over 1 hour because the alarm system. Then connect the battery. DO NOT TURN ENGINE ON! wait at list 20 min. than lock and unlock few times. then unlock and start. wait at list 5 min. than if you still have a code you can take it off with OBD reader. This usually work for all lexus rx if not send me your win and i will look it up. Have fun))
The following users liked this post:
Robles (12-22-17)
Old 07-18-16, 07:02 PM
porsche998
Driver School Candidate

Default vsc and abs lights are on

still all the signs are on after doing all the stuff
Old 07-21-16, 09:48 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I wonder if the ABS or Brake actuator is at fault. Google and Toyota prius shows this as sometimes fix. There is a enhanced warranty program at Lexus for the brake actuator....Some of the lights you have are listed in that failure. Maybe a call to Lexus and diagnostic is in order.
Old 07-22-16, 12:09 PM
topspin678
Driver School Candidate

There is an extended warranty for this, Call Lexus. Joedaddy suggested that to me.
Check out this link.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...extension.html
Old 05-23-17, 08:41 PM
aucht
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem after bleeding the brakes! code C1241 and C1341 C1342 C1343 C1344, I reset all the code using Teachstream and it never come back!
Old 10-26-17, 09:33 PM
MACJO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bennecc
Last week I took my wife's 2007 RX400h into the shop because the triangular maintenance required warning light was on. A short while after I dropped the car off the technician called me and said that the 12v battery was dead and needed to be replaced.

At that time he told me that he thought chances were 60/40 that replacing the battery and resetting the lights would solve the problem.

After replacing the battery he called me back and said that replacing the battery did not solve the problem and that something was wrong with the ABS system and to replace it would be about $3k.

The error codes he is getting are C1203 and 3 other related codes: C1345, C1210, & C1336.

Now in addition to the maintenance required light, the ABS, BRAKE, Slip Indicator, and Brake System Warning lights are on. The display reads Check VSC system and check AWD. So my understanding is that the ABS, traction control, and AWD are all disabled.

I've read how using some code readers can cause similar issues. I have followed the instructions to use a jump wire in the OBD reader to clear and perform Zero Point Calibration, but that didn't help. Neither did disconnecting the battery and ABS related fuses.

Maybe I am just in denial, but I am finding it hard to believe that the problem is with the ABS system....what are the chances that it would fail at the same time the battery is dying and providing low voltage? It seems much more likely that it is something to do with the battery being replaced that is causing the problem.

For what its worth, the shop I took the car to was not a dealer but is a shop that only works on honda/acura/toyota/lexus.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I take it in to the dealer for another opinion?
I am having the same issue after replacing the rear brakes. I hear prolonged clicking of the brake actuator assembly after I park and exit the car. How was this issue resolved for you?
Old 10-28-17, 10:31 PM
MACJO
Driver School Candidate

Default Abs assembly and electrical issues

I took my 2006 Rx400h to the Mission Viejo dealer due to a number of warning lights that lit up 3 days ago: MASTER WARNING LIGHT, BRAKE WARNING LIGHT, ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED BRAKE WARNING, ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM, SLIP INDICATOR AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND MESSAGE: CHECK VSC SYSTEM. Yesterday I stopped by AutoZone and ran the OBD device which only listed: P0174 Mass Air Flow Sensor. I had not changed my air filter in about 20000 miles so I replaced it enroute to the Lexus dealer and inspected the Mass Air Flow Sensor which was dirty. A Toyota parts clerk recommended I just use the CLR cleaner before replacing the sensor. The Lexus dealer had me wait 3 hours while the technician spent an hour going over my car looking for problems and then told me he would need to do 3 more hours of diagnostic testing to ensure the Brake Actuator Assembly was the problem. He also claimed that he pulled up 6 other codes that he could not be sure were due to the Brake Actuator Assembly which clicks loudly for a prolonged period when starting or exiting the car and constantly when the brake peddle is depressed. This same vehicle lost power on the freeway with loss of electronic braking, power and power steering 3 years ago due to a faulty hybrid system part. This was an extremely dangerous event in morning rush hour freeway traffic at 65 mph. I am disgusted with the Lexus product and customer support. They were unable to fix the hybrid system despite a safety recall for lack of parts til the car had to be towed in to the dealer and nearly cause a major freeway accident. They have known about the brake actuator assembly problem since 2009 and will do what ever possible to avoid fixing the vehicle. The dash board cracking replacement is 2-3 years behind with a large wait list. Very poorly quality and customer support. Hopefully the new class action suit regarding the dash boards will also occur with the brake actuator assembly issue.
Attached Thumbnails RX400h - Error C1203, VSC & ABS lights on after replacing battery-img_3988.jpg   RX400h - Error C1203, VSC & ABS lights on after replacing battery-img_3987.jpg  
Old 11-24-17, 06:15 PM
Crickets
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey folks,

I had a similar issue as "aucht" after bleeding the rear brakes on a 2007 RX 400h last week. I siphoned out brake fluid in the reservoir to a level below the "low brake fluid" sensor but above the outlet that feeds brake fluid to the ABS actuator. At some point brake fluid stopped flowing from either of the rear bleeder valves and a bunch of lights came on: brake, VSC, ABS and the dreaded triangle with the "!" at its center. I thought the worse had happened - figured I messed up the actuator itself.

Strangely enough all 4 brakes still operated so I figured the braking system was still operating normally. I scanned the system with my Autel AL619 OBDII + ABS/SRS scanner to find 18 different codes ranging from "low brake fluid" to "loss of communication." the former was likely a consequence of the brake fluid dipping below the low brake fluid sensor while the loss of communication might have been caused by the battery I disconnected to attempt to clear the lights. I erased the alarms using the ABS/SRS function on the Autel (no DTC codes were displayed so nothing to clear on that end). It's been 3 days now and no ABS/VSC/Brake lights on just yet. I'll continue monitoring and report back the results within a couple of weeks or so.
Old 11-27-17, 02:01 AM
bankbank
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MACJO
I took my 2006 Rx400h to the Mission Viejo dealer due to a number of warning lights that lit up 3 days ago: MASTER WARNING LIGHT, BRAKE WARNING LIGHT, ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED BRAKE WARNING, ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM, SLIP INDICATOR AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND MESSAGE: CHECK VSC SYSTEM. Yesterday I stopped by AutoZone and ran the OBD device which only listed: P0174 Mass Air Flow Sensor. I had not changed my air filter in about 20000 miles so I replaced it enroute to the Lexus dealer and inspected the Mass Air Flow Sensor which was dirty. A Toyota parts clerk recommended I just use the CLR cleaner before replacing the sensor. The Lexus dealer had me wait 3 hours while the technician spent an hour going over my car looking for problems and then told me he would need to do 3 more hours of diagnostic testing to ensure the Brake Actuator Assembly was the problem. He also claimed that he pulled up 6 other codes that he could not be sure were due to the Brake Actuator Assembly which clicks loudly for a prolonged period when starting or exiting the car and constantly when the brake peddle is depressed. This same vehicle lost power on the freeway with loss of electronic braking, power and power steering 3 years ago due to a faulty hybrid system part. This was an extremely dangerous event in morning rush hour freeway traffic at 65 mph. I am disgusted with the Lexus product and customer support. They were unable to fix the hybrid system despite a safety recall for lack of parts til the car had to be towed in to the dealer and nearly cause a major freeway accident. They have known about the brake actuator assembly problem since 2009 and will do what ever possible to avoid fixing the vehicle. The dash board cracking replacement is 2-3 years behind with a large wait list. Very poorly quality and customer support. Hopefully the new class action suit regarding the dash boards will also occur with the brake actuator assembly issue.
@Macjo

I have similar experiences with you lately on my Rx400h. You noted that the you lost power on the freeway due to a faulty hybrid system part.. Did you find out what part it was? I have the exact same issue... Only that it happens to me under hard acceleration when the car/engine/battery is not fully warmed up. For example if I just start up the car and a couple minutes later I floor the throttle to go from 20-70, suddenly I will get a loss of power, steering, brakes and christmas lights on the dashboard (check vsc, check hybrid system, etc..)

Now here is the funny bit. Once I park my car to the side of the road, I would turn off the engine, lock the car (using the remote) and turn it on again... do this for 4-5 times, and then everything goes back to normal.. I don't know what the heck it is, and other than that the car drives fine. Btw, my car has only around 65000 miles on her.
Old 03-26-18, 02:59 PM
KlausM
Driver School Candidate

After replacing parking brake cable (2 weeks ago) on my 2006 rx400h I've got bunch of lights (vsc, abs, "triangle thing" and couple of others.
Tried to clear it with my no-name OBDII thing, didn't succeed. Didn't want to see Lexus guys, $$$$$$$$$
Then couple of days ago I bought a 07/2017 Techstream Diagnostic Toyota TIS Software V12.20.024 for Mini VCI J2534 on eBay
JUST $7.99
Installed it on my laptop, then used a USB cable I have had from before, did the health check and cleared everything
Hope it works for you too

Quick Reply: RX400h - Error C1203, VSC & ABS lights on after replacing battery