RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Trailer wiring

Old 05-26-15, 01:45 PM
BonesD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer wiring

I have read some of the posts about installing trailer wiring. I have a 2008 rx350 the detailed instructions on removing the rear interior are great. So I have found the factory plug/harness for the trailer lights. I have never been a fan of BUTT or Scotch block connectors and hate to cut the original harness.
Is there a harness from Lexus to complete the hook up?
Is the module I see mentioned a requirement?
I only want to do this once so if I have to spend some bucks to do it properly I will. I am just interested in a typical 4 wire set up. That's all the factory harness is providing.
Also do the transmissions have a oil cooler installed on a basic RX or should that be considered as well?

Suggestions or part numbers will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 05-26-15, 03:44 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be able to search all of these questions as they have been discussed A LOT!

But to answer your questions. You can see if there is a transmission cooler by looking though the front bumper near the driver's side fog light. The transmission cooler is part of a tow package. If you have the cooler the car is rated up to 3500 lbs for towing. Without the cooler the car is rated up to 2500 lbs.

If you have the connector in the trunk, then you can buy the wiring harness from Lexus instead of doing any splicing and you won't need a module. If you order the OEM hitch, it comes with the wiring harness.

The first generation Highlander uses the same hitch and is considerably less expensive than ordering from Lexus.
Old 05-26-15, 05:34 PM
BonesD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. Many of the posts respond to parts of the question at hand and ignore the rest. Along with opinions it is at times hard to harvest the information someone might be searching for without going through hundreds of posts and wording the searches in different ways in an attempt to get the complete answer.
Good to know that Lexus offers a harness and for some reason does not necessitate the module that many say is required.
The towing capacities information is greatly appreciated Unfortunately in the search for gas mileage etc. Lexus has covered up the bottom of the engine compartment and again from above there is no view of the bottom of the radiator or possible oil cooler.
So I am still looking for a bit of guidance.
Thank you
Old 05-26-15, 05:59 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If your RX already has the module installed then you are good to go with the Lexus pigtail harness. If you don't already have the module, you will need it to go along with the pigtail. As JakenBake mentioned, some RXs have the towing prep package that includes the module.
Old 08-03-15, 08:07 PM
checkerj
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If any of you have the tow package option on your RX330 and ever wondered if a cheaper wiring harness existed other than the Lexus/Toyota pre-made harness, here's a link that might help:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9137155