RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Suspension strut mystery

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-15, 12:42 PM
dworak
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension strut mystery

Hello!

It's time to replace suspension struts on my 2005 RX330. I've ordered 4 OEM struts from a Lexus dealership. When I received my order I discovered that the right rear strut differs from the other struts. 3 struts came in identical new Toyota/Lexus boxes. They are manufactured by Tokico and have the proper color barcodes. Right rear strut (part number I'd ordered: 48530-A9200 or 48530-49295 or 48530-0E010) came in an old and pretty worn Toyota (not Toyota/Lexus) box. It is manufactured by KYB. Comparing two rear struts I realized that the shocks are very different in terms of stiffness. KYB is probably designed for a heavier vehicle. Shape differs too. Also KYB strut does not come with orange protection cap. First I thought the strut was put there by mistake. But the dealer told me it's not a mistake. I checked the numbers on the strut. White (not colored as on other 3 struts) paper label with barcode says TXD4 48530-48140. Number engraved on the strut: A0943-14863 SJ22W KYB. According to KYB database this strut replaces Toyota parts with numbers 4853048190, 4853048200, 4853048240, 4853049405, 4853049415, 4853049545, A094314863 and is designed for Toyota Highlander FWD and Lexus RX400h FWD. Several online databases show that this strut is not suitable for Lexus RX330. I tried to contact KYB headquarters, but have not hear from them since then.

I ended up returning the part and ordered it from a different dealer. I was extremely surprised when I received the replacement: it was exactly the same strut, which also came in old and very worn Toyota box.

After that I checked with 4 different dealers located in 3 different states. They all have exactly the same box in stock with exactly the same strut inside the box. They all say it's the right part and they are not going to ship me a different version. They usually also stock the left mate, which always comes in a new untouched Toyota/Lexus box and manufactured by Tokico. They refuse to explain why struts are different. I contacted Lexus Customer Satisfaction and they told me they can't be of any help: parts is dealer responsibility, period.

So, at this point I don't see how I can get 2 identical OEM rear struts. It looks like Lexus warehouses want to get rid of a bunch of old struts manufactured by KYB for Highlander/Hybrid RX. Looking at these very worn Toyota boxes with multiple holes I can suggest they receive a lot of returns.

Does anybody know what's going on? Is there any way to get identical OEM shocks at all? Has anybody encountered the same problem? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-15, 05:23 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered aftermarket struts. They were identical. The old struts I removed were identical kyb struts. I don't think I would put two different struts on the rear. especially if they have different stiffnesses.
Old 06-01-15, 12:07 AM
dworak
Driver School Candidate

I was able to figure out the number of Tokico replacement, which is exactly the same part that I am expecting to buy from Lexus (and cannot so far): B3392. However, I can't find it online. Can anybody recommend me a Tokico dealer that can sell everything from Tokico catalogue?
Old 07-06-15, 02:11 PM
dworak
Driver School Candidate

Just an update. My local dealer submitted a request about this issue to Toyota factory. The request was submitted more than a month ago. Still no response. Frankly speaking, I am very disappointed.
Old 07-06-15, 04:20 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I would have just gone with KYB shocks all around...probably a lot cheaper too.
Old 07-06-15, 06:12 PM
dworak
Driver School Candidate

First of all, aftermarket struts are not the same as OEM struts. For example, Toyota/KYB struts are more durable than KYB aftermarket struts. It's well known that KYB uses different production lines for aftermarket struts. Theses struts differ from OEM struts KYB manufactures for Toyota, although 25-50% difference in quality and/or life time does not necessarily justify the higher price.

The second point is I personally prefer Tokico brand. The original struts on my vehicle were manufactured by Tokico. KYB shocks are a bit stiffer than Tokico shocks. I don't like it. I want to have the same ride as I had before. Unfortunately, when you are ordering from Lexus in the US you have no way to choose the supplier. Luckily, 3 OEM struts that I received from Lexus had been manufactured by Tokico.

And the last thing, but not the least. I already purchased 3 OEM struts + multiple additional OEM parts like bearings, boots etc. Everything was purchased from Lexus dealers several months ago. I cannot return these parts now. I was expecting that I would finally find the last strut that matches the other three.

As you can see, I have several good reasons to stick with OEM stuff. It's my choice anyway. What I don't understand is why there's a situation when a luxury brand does not properly support its products. I have 2 Lexus vehicles. If I have to buy another one, I am not sure I will buy Lexus again. I like Lexus cars, but I don't like how Lexus treats me as a customer. (Of course, I am not that naive to think that there's an ideal car brand.)
Old 07-17-15, 11:17 AM
dworak
Driver School Candidate

I am attaching photos of 2 OEM rear struts for Lexus RX330 shipped by dealers in the US. The shown struts were shipped in one order. If you order OEM rear struts today, you will receive exactly the same pair. Not only the shape and labeling are different. Stiffness differs too: strut manufactured by KYB for Toyota is stiffer than the strut manufactured by Tokico.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension strut mystery-dsc01840.jpg   Suspension strut mystery-dsc01864.jpg  
Old 07-18-15, 01:13 PM
OhioRX330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI I work for a major Japanese OEM. it's possible for OEM to have multiple suppliers for the same part. Sometimes one supplier is not enough to produce the required volume so they need two.

Since they are both clearly Toyota Genuine parts I would assume this is the case here.

You are not able to accurately determine if they are indeed different dampers. You would have to measure them on a dynamometer and compare the curves.

I would conclude that the two dampers are interchangeable rather than the entire Lexus dealership / parts system is stocking the wrong part. Occam's razor
Old 07-19-15, 05:28 PM
dworak
Driver School Candidate

OhioRX330, what you are saying about dampers is true. And yes, I don't have a tool to measure the force at different speeds. However I do not agree with the argument "Toyota is too big/serious/etc to make such mistakes". We are all people. People do make mistakes. Here is why I think a mistake is possible:

1. Struts manufactured by different companies exclusively for Lexus RX330/350 FWD. And they have different shapes. Why? I've ordered 4-5 pairs of struts before and always received two identical pieces. This is the first time I see such a big difference. You can tell me KYB likes one shape, while Tokico prefers the other. I checked images online and it seems like KYB manufactures the both shapes. It's a bit strange. You probably know, that shocks sold for different markets (US, Europe, Asia) are sometimes different. US people prefer a smoother ride. What if this strut is designed for RX330, but not the US spec? And the shape is different just because it's a different spec.

2. Right strut is manufactured by KYB and, according to KYB catalogue (I checked the number on the strut), is designed for heavier vehicles: Toyota Highlander and Hybrid version of Lexus RX. I looked at 3 different online car parts catalogues, and they all indicate that the struts are not interchangeable. Lexus database says the same thing. However, on eBay some sellers claim that Highlander aftermarket struts fit Lexus RX330. I don't know what to think, but based on my experience, aftermarket manufacturers don't necessarily follow OEM specifications.

3. Stiffness. I was able to push the shaft of Tokico strut by the shaft of KYB strut all the way down; KYB strut shaft moved by ~ one inch. My experiment shows the dynamometer curves will probably differ at least at very low speeds. Ok, there's a chance that it will not affect the dynamical behavior of the vehicle, although in the past every time I replaced a pair of shocks, I could easily determine which shock was a bad one by simply moving the shaft by hand: shock showing signs of leaking always moved differently comparing to its mate and the replacement part. So, it does not prove anything, but looks very suspicious to me.

Thus, I could agree with you, but I need a proof. This issue is related to safety. An official confirmation from Lexus would work fine, but they refuse to provide it. So far all official responses were like "we don't know, but the mistake is very unlikely".
Old 07-22-15, 07:15 PM
dworak
Driver School Candidate

I am attaching some materials explaining why I think the strut is incompatible with Lexus RX330. I tried to analyze the label on it using KYB catalogue + some online databases. If somebody can prove that Toyota Highlander FWD 2005-2007, Lexus RX400h FWD 2006-2007 and Lexus RX330 FWD 2005 share exactly the same rear struts, then Toyota/KYB strut is the right part. Note: the fact that some aftermarket struts according to their manufacturers fit all these models does not prove anything.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension strut mystery-dsc01859.jpg   Suspension strut mystery-kyb.jpg   Suspension strut mystery-does-not-fit.jpg   Suspension strut mystery-compatibility.jpg   Suspension strut mystery-highlander.jpg  

Old 07-23-15, 03:55 PM
dworak
Driver School Candidate

I've just received an OEM rear right strut manufactured by Tokico Fresno Lexus had it in stock. They did a truly fantastic job by quickly responding to my request, finding the right part and organizing a very prompt and safe overnight delivery. I also want to thank Lexus of Lexington for assisting me with finding dealerships that still stock this part. These are 5* dealers!

Now I am going to leave this thread. In the case somebody is interested in buying the identical part, it turns out, some dealers may still have it (a very limited number).

Last edited by dworak; 07-23-15 at 04:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Raffeysod (11-06-21)