RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What adhesive for rain detector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 03:44 PM
Band
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What adhesive for rain detector?

My 330 had a new windshield installed prior to purchase and shortly after, the rain sensor module came loose. Cleaned things up and epoxied bracket in place, and about a year later it came loose again. Seems temperature related - a hot sunny day and the epoxy loses adhesion. I'm ready to try again but at odds as to what adhesive to use.
Any long term successes out there?
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 05-05-15, 08:58 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Band
My 330 had a new windshield installed prior to purchase and shortly after, the rain sensor module came loose. Cleaned things up and epoxied bracket in place, and about a year later it came loose again. Seems temperature related - a hot sunny day and the epoxy loses adhesion. I'm ready to try again but at odds as to what adhesive to use.
Any long term successes out there?
Thanks,
Bruce
I suggest that you speak to the people who made/installed the windshield. I had my windshield changed a couple of years ago - no problem to date, but Safelite told me that they would resolve any problem that would occur in the future. Good luck!
Old 05-05-15, 10:55 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Amazon.com: Loctite 37438 Rearview Mirror Adhesive Kit - 0.3 cc: Automotive Amazon.com: Loctite 37438 Rearview Mirror Adhesive Kit - 0.3 cc: Automotive
Old 05-16-15, 02:41 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAIN-LIGHT-S...-/281671918141

Rain sensor gel pad attachment

Sensor is attached with gel like pad. I my Rx it came loose while I needed to deattach it for installing dash cam in same wiring. I would need to replace the pad too as the sensitivity change after it, the sensor is not completely against the windscreen.
Old 05-16-15, 03:22 PM
Band
Rookie

[QUOTE=rns;
Sensor is attached with gel like pad. I my Rx it came loose while I needed to deattach it for installing dash cam in same wiring. I would need to replace the pad too as the sensitivity change after it, the sensor is not completely against the windscreen.[/QUOTE]

The gel pad does not hold the sensor in place. It provides an optical path from the windshield to the sensor and must make good physical contact with both.
There is a clip on the bottom of the sensor module that when pulled downward releases the module from a rectangular metal bracket The bracket should be firmly attached to the windshield. If the bracket has detached from the windshield, it will be in the sensor module. Release it with the clip.
The bracket on mine came loose from the windshield, so I epoxied the bracket back onto the windshield after carefully cleaning all surfaces, attached a new gel pad to the sensor and carefully placed it on the bracket. Slide the clip into place which will put compression on the gel pad
One thing to note: If you disconnect the white connector plug, the wipers will revert to interval action in the auto mode - Which you may prefer!
Old 05-16-15, 03:35 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The gel pad does not hold the sensor in place. It provides an optical path from the windshield to the sensor and must make good physical contact with both.
There is a clip on the bottom of the sensor module that when pulled downward releases the module from a rectangular metal bracket The bracket should be firmly attached to the windshield. If the bracket has detached from the windshield, it will be in the sensor module. Release it with the clip.
The bracket on mine came loose from the windshield, so I epoxied the bracket back onto the windshield after carefully cleaning all surfaces, attached a new gel pad to the sensor and carefully placed it on the bracket. Slide the clip into place which will put compression on the gel pad
One thing to note: If you disconnect the white connector plug, the wipers will revert to interval action in the auto mode - Which you may prefer!
good to know, I did sticked mine back quickly to windscreen, didn't realize there is the metal around. My sensor has not dropped since or made sound but the sensitivity and logicality of wiping is different to my other cars with sensor.

Maybe try like this, they are strong and in pictures it looks like the sensor has been originally with tape in place. Wipe the windscreen area with some alcohol, isopropanol or any alike glue remover before installing if you didn't do that yet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-3614-Scot...-/231546625900

Last edited by rns; 05-16-15 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 11:11 AM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The metal bracket needs to be glued to the windscreen with rear mirror pad glue. You should not use 2 sided tape.
The gel pad is then placed in the center and the plastic case sat onto the bracket. (clip wire connector back in 1st if removed)
There is a slide out clip on the bottom of the plastic part.
This is moved out one inch to remove sensor off windscreen.
When you place it back onto the windscreen you then slide the clip back in whilst exerting a small amount of pressure on the sensor assembly.
The following users liked this post:
brbradbury (03-27-17)
Old 01-30-17, 11:53 AM
Band
Rookie

Originally Posted by bazzle01
The metal bracket needs to be glued to the windscreen with rear mirror pad glue. You should not use 2 sided tape.
The gel pad is then placed in the center and the plastic case sat onto the bracket. (clip wire connector back in 1st if removed)
There is a slide out clip on the bottom of the plastic part.
This is moved out one inch to remove sensor off windscreen.
When you place it back onto the windscreen you then slide the clip back in whilst exerting a small amount of pressure on the sensor assembly.
Funny thing, I found that 3M automotive trim mounting tape did the best for me. The glues I used did not do well with temperature changes, but the 3M stuff sticks like you can't believe. Just trim to fit with a razor blade and get it right the first time as you won't be able to move it once stuck to the windshield. Mine has been on for over 3 years now.
Old 01-30-17, 01:32 PM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Funny thing, I found that 3M automotive trim mounting tape did the best for me. The glues I used did not do well with temperature changes, but the 3M stuff sticks like you can't believe. Just trim to fit with a razor blade and get it right the first time as you won't be able to move it once stuck to the windshield. Mine has been on for over 3 years now.
Only issue 'may' be that the bracket sits away a bit and there is not enough pressure on the pad to keep it sealed against the 2 faces.
But if it works .. great.