RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Aftermarket windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 07:58 PM
PETDOC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket windshield wipers

Purchased a 2009 RX with 48,000 miles on it. When I took it to Lexus dealership for 50,000 mile service I asked to have the windshield wiper blades replaced. The service technician said the wipers were an aftermarket brand and he couldn't replace the rubber insert so he replaced the wiper blades with another aftermarket brand.
I'm confused as to why the previous owner would have replaced the wipers with an aftermarket brand when apparently the OEM brand can just have the rubber insert replaced? Are the OEM rubber inserts so expensive that someone would replace the wiper blades with an aftermarket wiper?
Old 04-24-15, 09:44 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

No telling. Previous owner may have perceived a benefit to the aftermarket wipers for various reasons or could have been unaware that the OEM's had refills. Your dealership may have not had the refills, could not order the refills or may have not been able to identify who made the wiper and what refills to order, if available. Aftermarket does not necessarily mean that refills are not available.

We're not using OEM wipers on our RX and there are refills available for our wipers. I just recently replaced them.
Old 04-24-15, 10:04 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

I replaced my front OEM wipers with aftermarkets. There is no cost/benefit for me to drive an hour in each direction to the dealership for refills. I've messed with refills before, IMO swapping the whole blade out is faster and less hassle.
Old 04-24-15, 10:27 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I know our local dealer does not stock the inserts and tries to sell you the whole wiper blade at about $45 a pop! You can buy several really nice aftermarket blades for that price!
Old 04-24-15, 11:36 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

My original wipers were faded so I replaced them with these. They work a little better than the OEMs with new inserts because the springs that push them down are always new.
Amazon.com: Valeo 900-24-1B Frameless ULTIMATE All-Season Wiper Blade - 24": Automotive Amazon.com: Valeo 900-24-1B Frameless ULTIMATE All-Season Wiper Blade - 24": Automotive
Old 04-24-15, 11:39 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

About a month or so ago I replaced front OEM wipers with aftermarkets from Costco. Impressed with the quality, Goodyear.

There was no cost benefit to me, not to mention that when I went to the Lexus dealer to inquire about the refills they were totally out of stock and had to be special ordered. I needed the wipers same day plus Costco had them in stock.
Old 04-24-15, 01:23 PM
kknguyen11
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 Robbyk

V/r

Khoi Nguyen
Old 04-27-15, 11:19 AM
LexusLadi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my RX, I replaced mine with frameless single beam wiper blades just on look alone! I hated the high ugly looking old spider design's my car came with.

On the other hand I had no idea that I could have replaced only the inserts on my GS. I actually liked the stock blade design. Probably would have saved 10 bucks with inserts instead of getting my favorite Bosch Icon's from Walmart.
Old 05-01-15, 08:09 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, Toyota USED to stock replacement inserts for their wipers. They were about $8 each. However, Toyota no longer makes replacement inserts for their wipers. This is across all 3 brands (Toyota, Lexus, and Scion). This is why dealers only sell aftermarket wipers now. Dealers make more money selling aftermarket wipers I guess. So you are forced to buy aftermarket wipers now. I suggest Costco, Amazon, or any local auto parts store for wipers.
Old 05-03-15, 03:24 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLadi
On my RX, I replaced mine with frameless single beam wiper blades just on look alone! I hated the high ugly looking old spider design's my car came with.
Have you got a picture of what this frame-less design looks like? Luckily for us down under, the local car shop (read chain) sells refills for a number of vehicles.
Old 05-03-15, 10:59 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neelnaik
So, Toyota USED to stock replacement inserts for their wipers. They were about $8 each. However, Toyota no longer makes replacement inserts for their wipers. This is across all 3 brands (Toyota, Lexus, and Scion). This is why dealers only sell aftermarket wipers now. Dealers make more money selling aftermarket wipers I guess. So you are forced to buy aftermarket wipers now. I suggest Costco, Amazon, or any local auto parts store for wipers.
The Toyota/Lexus dealer in Kendall Miami has the inserts. I just bought a pair. With tax, about $19. They work very well. In fact, I tried Bosch Icons (on strong recommendations at this Forum) and, though I much prefer their frameless form factor, I find that the OEM wipers wipe better, more consistently and for longer.
Old 05-03-15, 01:54 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Bosch Icons, can not go wrong with them.
Old 05-03-15, 02:21 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Bosch Icons, can not go wrong with them.
Good blade for a premium brand. I have had better luck with PIAA Super Silicone and noticed they last longer too.

Both the PIAA and Bosch are pricey. However these frameless design blades are the best performing blades for the money. Not sure on the longevity of their rubber compounds though.
Currently i've got a set of Goodyear branded frameless blades from Costco on the RX350 and a cheap ebay frameless set on the RX300. So far they have been performing very well.
Old 05-04-15, 08:16 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I prefer PIAA as well but there are plenty of good options out there.
Old 05-05-15, 01:56 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 for Bosch Icons

Quick Reply: Aftermarket windshield wipers