RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How do I determine if I have HID or Halogen headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-15, 06:44 PM
thomasfx10
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do I determine if I have HID or Halogen headlights

I bought my 2007 RX350 used and not sure if I have the HID or Halogen headlights. I read that they were both options. I am leaning to Halogen because they do not look bright and are more to the yellow side.

If they are Halogen, can I just replace with HID bulb or do I need replace the entire headlight.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-15, 07:00 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

you can replace halogens with HID bulbs but it is not as simple as just getting bulbs. A HID system also has an ignitor ballast per bulb that you will have to account for in mounting. Also you would probably need the bulb housings retrofitted with lenses.
Old 03-23-15, 06:46 AM
thomasfx10
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know a good place to order the kit? Thanks!
Old 03-23-15, 08:29 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasfx10
Anyone know a good place to order the kit? Thanks!
I have heard very good things about Kensun products. Their customer service is very good and they stand behind their product. Their products come with a 2 years warranty. My RX330 came with HIDs, I needed to replace the ballasts but I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg buying directly from Lexus. I also did not want to buy on Ebay due to a considerable amount of negative reviews of buyers who have purchased HID kits and were promised a hassle free warranty and when they had a problem with the product that warranty was not there. Then I read a post in this forum from a member who replaced his HIDs with a Kensun brand an seems pretty happy.
I read the reviews in Amazon's website, reviewers are saying that they have a very good customer should you experience an issue with their products. Prices are very reasonable.

The 2007 Lexus RX350 uses size D2S for headlights, 9005 for high beams, 9006 for fog lights for vehicles with factory installed HID systems. Vehicles that do not have factory installed HID lights use size H11 for headlights, 9005 for high beams, 9006 for fog lights.

If you decide to go with Kensun, this is the kit you need for your 07 RX350.

Check them out:
Amazon.com: 55w Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Digital Ballasts - H11 - 6000k: Automotive Amazon.com: 55w Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Digital Ballasts - H11 - 6000k: Automotive

Last edited by robbyk; 03-24-15 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-24-15, 03:18 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

Keep in mind that the factory HID system is an Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) with auto leveling. If you order aftermarket kit, it may be include the auto leveling feature.

Jack
08 RX350 AWD (wife)
08 Avalon Touring (mine)
Old 03-24-15, 03:32 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

theretrofitsource.com and its forum website has a wealth of information on retrofitting. They sell complete kits too. Excellent place to start (and finish) your search on this.
Old 03-25-15, 07:36 AM
andynoel78
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unbeknownst to many, the '04-'09 RX330/350/400h actually came with THREE options for headlights:
(1) halogen, reflector type, no AFS, no auto-leveling
(2) xenon, projector type, with AFS, with auto-leveling
(3) xenon, projector type, no AFS, but with auto-leveling (however the projector itself is different than that of type 2)

Most people do not realize that there were two different xenon projector type headlights for the same car, with the only differences between the two being the lack of AFS and a lesser performing projector (not as bright and not as wide).

The xenon projector AFS type headlights will have this black box (with a white plastic piece behind it) attached to the bottom of the projector.

And AFS xenon projector headlights have "silver metal" lens holder rings. Look at the 1/4inch ring around each projector lens. This holds the lens in place on the projector.

non-AFS xenon projector versions won't have the AFS motor at the bottom of the projector.

And non-AFS xenon projector versions have a "black" lens holder ring instead of a silver one.

If you want to convert the halogen type headlight to xenon, it's easier to buy a used set of the non-AFS xenon projector type headlights, as it would be impossible to get the AFS system working.
The following 2 users liked this post by andynoel78:
exaktoh (03-13-17), spinellib (04-26-19)
Old 03-25-15, 11:21 AM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by andynoel78
Unbeknownst to many, the '04-'09 RX330/350/400h actually came with THREE options for headlights:
(1) halogen, reflector type, no AFS, no auto-leveling
(2) xenon, projector type, with AFS, with auto-leveling
(3) xenon, projector type, no AFS, but with auto-leveling (however the projector itself is different than that of type 2)

Most people do not realize that there were two different xenon projector type headlights for the same car, with the only differences between the two being the lack of AFS and a lesser performing projector (not as bright and not as wide).

The xenon projector AFS type headlights will have this black box (with a white plastic piece behind it) attached to the bottom of the projector.

And AFS xenon projector headlights have "silver metal" lens holder rings. Look at the 1/4inch ring around each projector lens. This holds the lens in place on the projector.

non-AFS xenon projector versions won't have the AFS motor at the bottom of the projector.

And non-AFS xenon projector versions have a "black" lens holder ring instead of a silver one.

If you want to convert the halogen type headlight to xenon, it's easier to buy a used set of the non-AFS xenon projector type headlights, as it would be impossible to get the AFS system working.
Very good info. Didn't even know that.
Anyway, our RX350 came with HID with AFS and I decided to turn it off. One less thing to going wrong for me.
Old 03-29-15, 11:23 PM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasfx10
I bought my 2007 RX350 used and not sure if I have the HID or Halogen headlights. I read that they were both options. I am leaning to Halogen because they do not look bright and are more to the yellow side.

If they are Halogen, can I just replace with HID bulb or do I need replace the entire headlight.

Thanks!
For 07 RX-350 it's very easy to determine whether you have HID or Halogen lightning system. These systems are very different. They look differently, work differently, and cost differently. The easiest way to tell is the simple one. If you can see the low beam bulb inside your headlight assembly, then you have simple halogen system, and if you have projector type low beam lightning and don't see the bulb itself, then you have more expensive and advanced HID system. You can make an online research and buy HID kit to replace your halogen lights or just up-grade your halogen bulbs with better performing bulbs from Sylvania. I'd recommend Silver Star Ultra. For low beam it's H11 and 9005 for high beam. In general I'd recommend to replace with Silver Star Ultra all your bulbs like high and low beams, back up lights (921), and fog lamps (9006). In my opinion it's unbelievable improvement. Both my 07 RX and 07 ES have Silver Star Ultra for high beam and Silver Star zXe for fog lamps (to match Xenon of my low beam). In this case you'll see the difference right away. Don't forget guys, the halogen bulbs loose their brightness with time and since high beam halogens are also used in 07 RX as DRL it better to replace it from time to time. Good luck.

Last edited by Alfa777z; 03-29-15 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-25-16, 11:39 AM
dmanwi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So on your RX are you saying you have the Silver Star Ultra for your high beams and then Xenon for the low beams and fog lamps? I would have thought you want them all to be xenon or non-xenon?

Thanks for your help. I have a high beam bulb out and was going to replace at least the four of them. But not back up lights or fog lights quite yet.
Old 12-25-16, 11:44 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by dmanwi
So on your RX are you saying you have the Silver Star Ultra for your high beams and then Xenon for the low beams and fog lamps? I would have thought you want them all to be xenon or non-xenon?

Thanks for your help. I have a high beam bulb out and was going to replace at least the four of them. But not back up lights or fog lights quite yet.
Only bulb that is xenon (HID) is the low beam. Highs and fogs are filament bulbs aka halogen. As much as you want xenon in all the bulbs, xenon requires a ballast to fire the bulbs up and it is not good to pulse them like you do with high beams such as when you alert oncoming traffic of a cop or if someone doesn't have their lights on. I'll never recommend HID for highs, fogs, or non-projector setups.

For the high beam bulb, personally I would stick to a standard bulb, if you go Silver Stars, they burn out fast as your highs function as your DRL too which impacts bulbs life.
Old 12-25-16, 12:28 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, because the DRL is 40% of your hi beam bulb, this doesn't lend itself to HID. When I bought my RX330 2005, 164k miles, the lenses for the headlights and foglights were nasty, clouded over, so I got new foglight lenses, and used HID OEM headlight lenses, because of the AFS. Since I had to take the bumper off anyway, I upgraded my foglights to 55w 4300K HID. I really like them.

For your high beams, I would replace both, and leave it at that, if you go aftermarket, then they will match, color wise. if you only replace one, with aftermarket the color might be off.