RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

05 RX330 Headlight bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 04:07 PM
WZCustom12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 RX330 Headlight bulb replacement

Hi everyone,

So recently my 05 RX330 had the driver side low beam bulb go out. I took it to a few places and they said take it to the dealership as they have special tools to change it. Of course I took it there and they were ready to charge me an arm and a leg to get 1 little bulb replaced. My question is do you have recommendations as to what I should do to get this fixed and not have my wallet get destroyed?
Old 02-26-14, 04:10 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its the HID that is burnt out, then yes get out your wallet and remortgage the house.

if its just the halogen, then swing by the auto parts store, they can look up which bulb you need, and you can change it at home pretty quickly
Old 02-26-14, 04:16 PM
WZCustom12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well looks like Im broke now
Old 02-26-14, 07:39 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, WZCustom12.

Can we assume you have the HID setup in your RX? Do you know if it is just the bulb or has the entire system been compromised by moisture? Have you seen moisture in your headlights? Is your vehicle registered with Lexus?

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...on/register.do

If you are able to DIY, I would move the bulb from one side to the other to see if it still works.

In the meantime, have a look at this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...densation.html

You may get a whole new headlight assembly. Be sure to mention this to the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
rush3rd (08-20-21)
Old 02-27-14, 12:59 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, WZCustom12!

As RX330inFL suggested, I would check for moisture first.

Even if you do have OEM HIDs, you can replace the bulb without any special tools and without having to spend $200 on a single bulb.

It is actually recommended to change out your HID bulbs every 5-7 years. The Phillips bulbs that came with the car are very good bulbs, and have a good reputation for lasting closer to 10 years. However, even HID bulbs dim with age, so I would still replace them at the 5-7 mark. If one side is out, save yourself the headache and replace both bulbs.

Here a link to a more detailed discussion about HID bulbs and replacing them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-low-beam.html

Last edited by neelnaik; 02-27-14 at 01:12 PM.
rush3rd (08-20-21)
Old 03-20-15, 08:21 PM
lexuswoo
Driver School Candidate

Default hid headlight nightmare fixed

Finally solved the ridiculous problem with the normal hid lights after a lot of worry and hassle.

Lights were acting strange. sometimes both would go off and sometimes only one would go off.

I had noticed some moisture in the driver side headlight assembly. So, I called lexus of california to see if there was a recall or maintenance report on the moisture problem. They said that there is an issue with the headlights and that i could take it to a lexus dealer to have it inspected.

I made an appointment for service and had to wait 4 days for the first available slot. Got there
and the advisor said that he couldn't approve the work because there was no more water left in the headlight assembly. I pointed out that the water had evaporated but that there was clearly a water stain on the inside of the lense. Had to go up one level to complain to get them to honor the
recall. They agreed to replace the assembly but not the light bulb... they wanted 200 for the bulb.

They replaced the headlight assembly and checked the ballast and put back to old bulb.
Got the car home and tested the lights that night. They had driven the car for two miles and the lights worked for them.
Well.. the same problems came back. intermittent lights on and off and very inconsistent.

I ordered a pair of kenso lights

for 29 bucks and got them in one day through amazon.
Put them in tonight and tested them by driving around for an hour. No problems. They are
very bright white 6000K.

I had really thought that i had some bad ballast issues or a problem with the switch considering how erratic the lights were behaving.

Upon closer inspection of the old bulbs... you can see that half of the electrode looked burned compared to new bulbs.

Bottom line. If you are having intermittent erratic behavior from your hid lights. Replace them with new ones first. It only takes a few minutes to pop in new ones. Order them from online and save yourself a lot of money.

I bought a pair of kensun hid 6000K bulbs on amazon.com 29.00 bucks and one day delivery for free for prime members.

Hope this helps someone.... I sure could have used this advice.
rush3rd (08-20-21)
Old 03-21-15, 09:54 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuswoo
I ordered a pair of kenso lights

for 29 bucks and got them in one day through amazon.
Put them in tonight and tested them by driving around for an hour. No problems. They are
very bright white 6000K.

I had really thought that i had some bad ballast issues or a problem with the switch considering how erratic the lights were behaving.

Upon closer inspection of the old bulbs... you can see that half of the electrode looked burned compared to new bulbs.

Bottom line. If you are having intermittent erratic behavior from your hid lights. Replace them with new ones first. It only takes a few minutes to pop in new ones. Order them from online and save yourself a lot of money.

I bought a pair of kensun hid 6000K bulbs on amazon.com 29.00 bucks and one day delivery for free for prime members.

Hope this helps someone.... I sure could have used this advice.
Do you have a part number from Amazon?. I have the same model and year with HID, need to replace them soon.

Thanks,
rush3rd (08-20-21)
Old 03-21-15, 10:09 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. theretrofitsource.com is also a great place to buy authentic Philips bulbs as well as quality aftermarket ones.
rush3rd (08-20-21)
Old 03-21-15, 11:34 AM
lexuswoo
Driver School Candidate

Update. I drove around for a couple of hours with the lights and they worked perfectly.
Very nice white and bright beams again.

Kensun Hid bulbs. 35w d2 6000K

X000MFJTZ is the barcode number on the box.

29 dollars for a pair.
rush3rd (08-20-21)