RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 or 300? Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 12:18 PM
Maineguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 or 300? Advice needed

My wife is driving me nuts and she will not consider an older RX300 and she wants an 04' or 05' RX330. Either way, I want to buy a rust free, garaged, one owner or possibly a 2 owner RX with under 125k miles. I personally do not mind buying a one owner 2002 RX300 with 150k or under, but she thinks "newer is better". This is an SUV that she wants to keep for many, many years to come in retirement. I would appreciate any thoughts from RX300 and RX330 owners regarding dependability and issues of each model. Hope you can give me some information that will help us make a good decision.
Old 03-10-15, 01:15 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Having owned both maybe I can help. I bought my RX300 in 2006 and had five wonderful, trouble free years, I truly loved the car as much as one can love steel and plastic. It was totaled in 2011 and I was forced to buy a new car and was fortunate enough to find a one owner 2005 330 with just 73K on it.

Let me say, if the 300 hadn't been totaled there is no question I would be driving it today and I will also state I am glad I was forced into the 330 it is a MUCH better car.

It is more comfortable, more economical, more powerful, better looking (subjective I know but the 300 does look like Bart Simpson's shoe you have to admit) and comes with all the technological improvements that newer gens always do.

I always wanted to add a new gps/stereo to the 300, not practical, easy on the 330. For a few bucks you can install the latest gps, blue tooth Sirius,etc seamlessly and it looks factory. That ability is not inconsequential. I put all that stuff plus a backup camera in my 330 and brought it's usability into the 21st century.

I loved my 300 but the 330 is simpy just a better car. Check my sig for some of the mods on my car.
Old 03-14-15, 10:02 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Carver's the comments on the RX330. I have never owned the 300 but I have a lot of good things to say about the 330.

I bought mine a year ago, 05 RX330 AWD, towing package, fully loaded with all bells and whistles (navigation, sunroof, rear electrical hatch, premium sound, HIDs, adaptive headlights-AFS, 18" wheels, heated seats, backup camera, auto dim outside mirrors) with 88K miles for $12,000. One owner, the previous owner had all of the service records from the Lexus dealer.

Be patient, take your time and do not rush into things. Post in this forum your findings.
It took me about a month to find mine, it paid off in the end.
Old 03-14-15, 05:24 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

At one point i was at the same crossroads to give up our 02 RX300 and upgrade to a RX330. I decided to hold off and get a RX350 when i found one that met my price point.
The deal breaker was that the main mechanical advantage i was interested in was the 5sp transmission which is known to be a blessing or a curse. Those who have no issues, it shifts smoothly and seamlessly, ..for others the transmission is known to hunt for the proper gear. If the problem persists without a software upgrade overtime, it can lead to transmission failure down the line. I did not want to take the risk on a possibly costly repair.

We still use our RX300 daily and it has been virtually trouble free, approximately 155k and climbing. After a suspension refresh last year, it felt better and firmer than when we bought it POC from Lexus. Our RX350 has been our weekender.
Old 03-14-15, 10:12 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
At one point i was at the same crossroads to give up our 02 RX300 and upgrade to a RX330. I decided to hold off and get a RX350 when i found one that met my price point.
The deal breaker was that the main mechanical advantage i was interested in was the 5sp transmission which is known to be a blessing or a curse. Those who have no issues, it shifts smoothly and seamlessly, ..for others the transmission is known to hunt for the proper gear. If the problem persists without a software upgrade overtime, it can lead to transmission failure down the line. I did not want to take the risk on a possibly costly repair.

We still use our RX300 daily and it has been virtually trouble free, approximately 155k and climbing. After a suspension refresh last year, it felt better and firmer than when we bought it POC from Lexus. Our RX350 has been our weekender.
Going to have to call you on what I consider misinformation. When the '04 330 was introduced in 2003 the early cars did have shifting issues which ended up requiring a TSB to reflash the ECU. That was 12 years ago, I ran a search for 'hunting' and found some in 2003 and one guy in 2012 complaining of frequent downshifts while on cruise control in hilly country.

I think saying the transmission on a 330 is 'known' for hunting will be a surprise to most owners, it certainly surprised me.
Old 03-15-15, 05:45 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by Carver
Going to have to call you on what I consider misinformation. When the '04 330 was introduced in 2003 the early cars did have shifting issues which ended up requiring a TSB to reflash the ECU. That was 12 years ago, I ran a search for 'hunting' and found some in 2003 and one guy in 2012 complaining of frequent downshifts while on cruise control in hilly country.

I think saying the transmission on a 330 is 'known' for hunting will be a surprise to most owners, it certainly surprised me.

I never said all 330's had the issue as a blanket statement if you re-read my post. Even back in 04 not all RX330's exhibited the problem to require a reflash. Besides, my post was my own account of when i was researching quite a while ago to make a purchase decision.

Running a search for 'hunting' will net little results. Not all owners who've exhibited the issue post about it on the net, let alone it was documented as a TSB, not a recall in which they would be actively notified. Lots of owners regardless of vehicle often do not report these types of issues and often dismiss them till something sounds horribly wrong.
Old 03-15-15, 10:02 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

I never said all 330's had the issue as a blanket statement if you re-read my post. Even back in 04 not all RX330's exhibited the problem to require a reflash. Besides, my post was my own account of when i was researching quite a while ago to make a purchase decision.

Running a search for 'hunting' will net little results. Not all owners who've exhibited the issue post about it on the net, let alone it was documented as a TSB, not a recall in which they would be actively notified. Lots of owners regardless of vehicle often do not report these types of issues and often dismiss them till something sounds horribly wrong.
LOL, I never said you said all 330 had the issue. I must ask, how do you know 'lots of owners' don't report transmission shifting vagaries? Is that similar to a tree making noise in the forest if no one is around to hear it?

You are entitled to your opinion as am I. I feel your comment would cause a new buyer to have unwarranted concern about a non-issue. I've made my point and you've expressed yours, let the noobs decide.
Old 03-15-15, 11:21 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

LOL, I never said you said all 330 had the issue. I must ask, how do you know 'lots of owners' don't report transmission shifting vagaries? Is that similar to a tree making noise in the forest if no one is around to hear it? .
not similar at all. There are car people who know what to look and listen for, then there are drivers who blindly accept nuances as normal characteristics per car model.

You are entitled to your opinion as am I. I feel your comment would cause a new buyer to have unwarranted concern about a non-issue. I've made my point and you've expressed yours, let the noobs decide.
You've already made your case for the RX330 in your first post.
My comment should be a concern for the potential buyer to figure out if the candidate vehicle is susceptible for TSB repair during his/her test drive. Advice per the OP's request.
If it upshifts and downshifts fine, ..then great..buy it if everything meets the buyer's criteria. ... If not, the buyer can step away or use that as a price negotiating point and get the TSB addressed at a later date.
Old 03-15-15, 12:35 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

not similar at all. There are car people who know what to look and listen for, then there are drivers who blindly accept nuances as normal characteristics per car model.
As I was going up the stair
I met a shifting problem that wasn't there!
It wasn't there again today!
I wish, I wish it would stay away!

You've already made your case for the RX330 in your first post.
My comment should be a concern for the potential buyer to figure out if the candidate vehicle is susceptible for TSB repair during his/her test drive. Advice per the OP's request.
If it upshifts and downshifts fine, ..then great..buy it if everything meets the buyer's criteria. ... If not, the buyer can step away or use that as a price negotiating point and get the TSB addressed at a later date.
Let's see if we can agree on this; if the 12 year old car you are considering exhibits poor shifting move on to another one. One might even consider that sage advice for any brand.