RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX-330 Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 09:49 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar issue and the mechanic that I took it too said it was the valve shims.
Apparently this engine does not have a way to adjust them like other car engine.
The only way to adjust the valve clearance is to use different size shims which can be a trial and error thing and very time consuming.
I've been told that this issue will not damage the engine so I decided to just leave it as it and not worry about it.
I've put on over 16K miles since I noticed the sound and have not had any issues.
The sound has not gotten any louder.
Old 03-30-16, 06:28 PM
wdtony
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
wdtony, a little more insight here.

1) I mentioned before that my 05 RX has a slight noise like yours but not nearly as loud. I was once concerned but then I just agreed to ignore the noise. The interesting thing is that my uncle has a new '15 LS460 and it makes the same kind of sound at idle too. Again, not as pronounced, but there nonetheless. After hearing it from his car, I have no interest in chasing it down in mine. "Let it be" is my motto on that one.

2) I mentioned in an earlier post as well that my 2000 ES had a high pitched ticking noise (obviously not the same engine) and I couldn't ignore that noise anymore. The video below shows what I heard, and I did take it in to get fixed. It ended up being a failed lifter on exhaust valve #3, and the noise you hear in the video is now completely gone. I tried all of the oil additives on this problem and none of them worked.

The noise you hear on your car seems to to be a lower pitch or thunk and is different from the noise on my car - I would not suspect a lifter for that reason.

2000 ES300 Ticking - YouTube

Thanks for the input. That sound in the video sounds like the same interval but not as low as you said. Other than that one sound (that does go away after normal operating temp.) the vehicle is very smooth. It is so very quiet which is why that little knock sounds so awful for a few minutes each time.

After completing the job of changing out 2 valve shims .002 out of tolerance and putting everything back together nice and neat, the sound remains.

The sound may still be emanating from the top end but if it is, I can't find anything out of spec.

I wish I could just forget about it, but having been a former industrial machine fixer it aggravates me.

I will probably tear down the bottom in the near future just to inspect the rod bearings... for peace of mind. Lexus tech told me he didn't think it was in the bottom but he said he couldn't guarantee anything.

Isn't there some type of machine that can isolate a knock? I thought Lexus would have something like that.

At least the plugs, PCV and all top end gaskets are good for the next 100k
Old 03-30-16, 07:00 PM
wdtony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OceanView
I have a similar issue and the mechanic that I took it too said it was the valve shims.
Apparently this engine does not have a way to adjust them like other car engine.
The only way to adjust the valve clearance is to use different size shims which can be a trial and error thing and very time consuming.
I've been told that this issue will not damage the engine so I decided to just leave it as it and not worry about it.
I've put on over 16K miles since I noticed the sound and have not had any issues.
The sound has not gotten any louder.
I am attempting to attach the sheet with specs on how to adjust shims. I just did this over the last few days. Heads up though, the tool they sell doesn't work very well with the rear cylinders...I ended up having to make a pry-tool to install the new shims.

The sound was not due to valve clearance in my case. If it is in the top-end I have also been told it won't hurt anything. I have put 13k on this vehicle and the sound seems to have gotten louder.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
3MZ-fe.pdf (748.9 KB, 1086 views)
Old 04-02-16, 10:45 AM
arich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn,
I was really hoping someone had fixed this. My sister in laws 2008 RX350 has this noise. Sounds like a diesel after it warms up and idles.
Old 04-02-16, 03:47 PM
wdtony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arich
Damn,
I was really hoping someone had fixed this. My sister in laws 2008 RX350 has this noise. Sounds like a diesel after it warms up and idles.
I am still going to search for this sound. Will probably start checking for lower end by removing coil harnesses. (beware of removing the coil itself, I did this once and it ruined the coil. I can only assume there was no place for the spark to go and burned up the coil.)

The Lexus tech stated that the 3.5 engine has a lot more piston slap than the 3.3
Old 06-13-17, 08:38 PM
ovdt4506
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wdtony
Lexus 3.3L RX-330 Engine Noise - Part 3 - YouTube

Hi, new here. I could use some direction. I am concerned with an engine noise.

Has anyone else experienced an engine noise like this or know someone familiar with this engine? I would like to narrow down possible causes.

5 months ago we bought a 2005 Lexus RX-330. It had 109k miles on it (now has 113k). There is a faint but noticeable engine tap/ knock/ tick coming from the engine. I think it has the 3.3l, 3gr-fe engine.

I have listed some observations:

The sound does not occur on startup, when the car is completely cold.
The sound starts after 5-10 minutes of driving or idling.
The sound diminishes and is almost imperceptible after another 10 minutes of driving.
The sound is only noticeable at idle.
The sound/tap seems to occur about 5 times a second at 600 rpm (idle)
The sound increases frequency with rising of rpm.
At approximately 2k rpm the sound cannot be heard.
If the vehicle is stopped after driving, allowed to sit for 5-10 minutes and then restarted, the sound will be loudest even though the engine is still hot.
The engine is quiet overall with exception of this sound. The fuel injector sound is the next loudest sound.
The sound doesn't seem to have gotten louder in the last 5 months but it may have gotten just slightly louder by my estimation.
I can hear the sound inside the vehicle and outside as well.

No other symptoms are present.

I had the timing belt, water pump, idler and tensioner replaced as maintenance and as a possible solution to this problem right after buying the vehicle.

The mechanic heard the sound but told me he wasn't sure of the cause. He and I agree that it sounds like an internal engine noise. It is not a pulley, idler or exhaust sound. The mechanic told me not to worry about it and it was a normal sound. He also said to start troubleshooting would get expensive. I am still concerned.

I have used a mechanics stethoscope and after listening at every engine point for several weeks, I cannot pinpoint the area of the engine the sound is coming from.

We spent our savings on this car and took out a loan and just found out we have a baby on the way. So we don't have much extra cash to go exploring this sound professionally if it is too costly.

My best guess at this point is that it may be something in the valve-train such as a worn shim, bad lifter or misadjusted lifter shim. I am hoping it is not emanating from the bottom end.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this or an educated guess? Any idea how much it might cost at the dealer to get a diagnosis? Thanks for any support.
Hi, I am new here and sorry for my English!
I know why?
Timing belt was incorrect
It cost me 10 days with 28 times for installed the belt, 2 top gears and the bottom mark have to be line up 100%
even 3mm incorrect, the engine noise likes the Band! Too many sounds to list and loose power when driving.
The problem when you install the hydraulic tensioner, the gear will move a bit and you will get trouble like this.
Hope this help.