RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

A-pillar panel removal guide (my first one)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 06:28 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A-pillar panel removal guide (my first one)

When installing my aftermarket tweeters, I looked and looked for information on how to it and did not find a satisfying solution. Oh, I found this:

And I found a thread where someone just destryed the factory tweeter housing for fear of the airbag. I tryed that, but, as you can see in the following image, I gave up quickly. I wasn't happy doing that.

I looked and looked for info on how to remove the A-pillar panel because I felt like a better solution was in there. Everywhere, they talk about the airbag. Then I was like: "You stupid! You have your repair manual. Go look at it". So, here is the solution:

WARNING: It worked for me. I am showing how I did it at my own risk. If you decide to follow this path, please know that I can not be responsible if you damage anything or get injured.

The first thing the manual say is: DISCONNECT THE BATERY negative terminal. EVEN AFTER THAT, THE AIRBAG SYSTEM WILL HAVE POWER for 90 seconds. So do what they say and wait for more than 90 seconds before you start doing anything.

With a panel removal tool or a screwdriver, pry the panel off. There is a black plastic clip that needs very strong pulling to come out.

P.S : Instead of pulling really hard, you should try using a long-nosed plier and twist that black plastic clip 90 degrees, it will then just slide out of the opening. Also to reinstall, twist that clip and insert into the A-pillar slot. - Rich001

There's another clip in the middle, but it will just pop off along with the first.

Now pull outwards, upwards and backwards. The panel should be off.
WARNING: The manual say to COVER THE AIRBAG ASSEMBLY WITH A CLOTH AS SOON AS YOU REMOVE THE PANEL. It does not say why, but I did it.

Last edited by Eliaquim; 03-02-15 at 06:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
maoslarx33 (09-18-21)
Old 03-01-15, 10:34 AM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the great write up Eliaquim! Added to the DIY thread.

Could you post the links to the DIYs that you said you found above. That way we can compile them all into 1 place. The end goal is to create a thread like the one linked below. Those DIYs would also be a great addition!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...iy-thread.html
Old 03-02-15, 12:33 AM
rich001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Instead of pulling really hard, you should try using a long-nosed plier and twist that black plastic clip 90 degrees, it will then just slide out of the opening. Also to reinstall, twist that clip and insert into the A-pillar slot.
The following users liked this post:
maoslarx33 (09-18-21)
Old 03-02-15, 06:06 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Default Do what he says

Originally Posted by rich001
Instead of pulling really hard, you should try using a long-nosed plier and twist that black plastic clip 90 degrees, it will then just slide out of the opening. Also to reinstall, twist that clip and insert into the A-pillar slot.
Just what he said. I only discovered that when reinstalling for the second time, after posting the DIY. The manual just says 'clip' like it's a simple one.
Old 03-02-15, 06:28 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Thank you for adding the post to the DIY thread! You can't imagine how much that boosted my ego. This was being a very rough day. . Now the DIYs I referred to:
The first image is actually from another website: http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...sRX330FSpk.htm

I will look for the other post and update.

Originally Posted by neelnaik
Thanks for the great write up Eliaquim! Added to the DIY thread.

Could you post the links to the DIYs that you said you found above. That way we can compile them all into 1 place. The end goal is to create a thread like the one linked below. Those DIYs would also be a great addition!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...iy-thread.html
Old 03-02-15, 07:31 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

@Eliaquim,
You're very welcome! I am sorry you had a rough day. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for you.

I followed the link and I see what you mean. If someone wants to pay for them, that's up to them, but I am not going to pay for DIYs that I don't need. If I am going to pay for a DIY, I would rather just pay for a TIS (Technical Information System techinfo.toyota.com) subscription for a day. But hopefully someone has/will write DIYs for those things. I can see them being useful to many people as these cars get older. One of these days, if I get really bored, I will comb through the forum and find all the DIYs that have been done so far and make sure they are linked to on the DIY thread.
Old 03-03-15, 09:40 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

I feel you, but it's not only that I would have to pay. They do not have a DIY for the a-pillar. It's been forever "In Work". I bet you noticed that.? Also, have you checked this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ate-links.html ?

Originally Posted by neelnaik
@Eliaquim,
You're very welcome! I am sorry you had a rough day. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for you.

I followed the link and I see what you mean. If someone wants to pay for them, that's up to them, but I am not going to pay for DIYs that I don't need. If I am going to pay for a DIY, I would rather just pay for a TIS (Technical Information System techinfo.toyota.com) subscription for a day. But hopefully someone has/will write DIYs for those things. I can see them being useful to many people as these cars get older. One of these days, if I get really bored, I will comb through the forum and find all the DIYs that have been done so far and make sure they are linked to on the DIY thread.
Old 08-30-15, 03:32 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Thank you for the write up.
I will be using this soon.
Old 01-07-21, 09:40 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Good post. I will be using this to replace my RX330 DR side Tweeter.

I have a brand new Acura Tweeter that I think I can modify to use on my RX330 (shown below). Am sure the specs are comparable. Will see if it works out.

Last edited by mandyfig; 01-07-21 at 09:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mandyfig:
Margate330 (01-07-21), matts6887 (01-08-21)
Old 05-08-21, 09:14 PM
PlatinumV8
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will be using it for hiding the wiring on my front and rear dash cam. Thanks!
Old 05-09-21, 10:10 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I have been lazy, I have yet to replace my DR side tweeter...
Old 10-10-22, 02:02 PM
joannexd
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have been lazy, I have yet to replace my DR side tweeter...
Did the Acura tweeter work for the RX? Looking to replace mine. Thanks.