RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

One more time 2005 rx330

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-22, 08:19 AM
Mkot9
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One more time 2005 rx330

So I've posted before about this but now it's necessary. The "VSC" light in the dash display remains ever vigilant. It came on about a week after I bought the car almost 4 years ago. Now, it's registration time with the extra added "smog" requirement. I can't afford to move to Norway and have a dogsled so.......
I've read that the component that controls this is permanantly attached to the throttle body. Why? Okay, the "why" is not important. Has anyone dealt with this special occurrence and replaced it? I mean I've been putting off changing the spark plugs on this puppy because I have to remove the windshield wipers??? Okay, I'll do it but I'll be grouchy. Please let me know how crazy of a redo it is.
While I'm whining, I'll ask: has anyone else's thingy under the dash for the OBDII to plug into escaped up into the dashboard? This is the second time. The first time I took it to a garage and the guy said $75. I made a comment and I believe I'm still not allowed within 500 feet from that place of business. So, I took out the panels and re-exposed it but now it's up there again. I don't know why.... there's no clutch so my left leg is not the culprit. I'm just curious if anyone else has the little joyous event of the disappearing connection.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions, sarcastic or not, and I'll leave the timing light on....
Old 10-10-22, 03:29 PM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkot9
So I've posted before about this but now it's necessary. The "VSC" light in the dash display remains ever vigilant. It came on about a week after I bought the car almost 4 years ago. Now, it's registration time with the extra added "smog" requirement. I can't afford to move to Norway and have a dogsled so.......
I've read that the component that controls this is permanantly attached to the throttle body. Why? Okay, the "why" is not important. Has anyone dealt with this special occurrence and replaced it? I mean I've been putting off changing the spark plugs on this puppy because I have to remove the windshield wipers??? Okay, I'll do it but I'll be grouchy. Please let me know how crazy of a redo it is.
While I'm whining, I'll ask: has anyone else's thingy under the dash for the OBDII to plug into escaped up into the dashboard? This is the second time. The first time I took it to a garage and the guy said $75. I made a comment and I believe I'm still not allowed within 500 feet from that place of business. So, I took out the panels and re-exposed it but now it's up there again. I don't know why.... there's no clutch so my left leg is not the culprit. I'm just curious if anyone else has the little joyous event of the disappearing connection.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions, sarcastic or not, and I'll leave the timing light on....
count your blessings. Removing the cowls and wiper motor as well as the intake plenum is a cake walk. Even if you round out one of the 8mm Allen hex cap bolts and have to get a $27 extractor set from Amazon like me.
im doing a whole engine swap out in my driveway and wish I only had to do something like the back plugs or valve cover gasket.

if you have a hard time getting the wiper arms off there are 2 tricks. Trick one after taking the cap nuts off take a quarter and vice grips preferably one with a hex inset in the thumb screw so you can use an Allen key to tighten it. Put the quarter on the top of the stud and then take the vice grips and clamp on the quarter and the underside of the wiper arm. Tighten till it pops and you’re good to go. Or just slam the bottom portion of the arm about 3-5 inches from the splined stud super hard with your fist. That’s my go to and it works like a charm.

Last edited by Rx330fnboi; 10-11-22 at 06:46 AM.