RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Boiling power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-15, 06:24 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Boiling power steering fluid

Hi folks

IŽm usually over at the SC-forum, but IŽd like to ask you RX people for some help.

HereŽs the story:
In December, my wife managed to overheat and kill the 2GR-FE on her -06 RX350. The water pump broke down, and she didŽnt stop in time . Anyways, I got hold of a good used Engine, with only 1500 km on the meter. The week Before Christmas, my car mechanic did the swap, and I thought that Everything would be OK. The new motor worked fine, but after the swap, the Power steering isŽnt working. After A short period of time the fluid starts to boil in the reservoir. Our first conclusion was that the pump must be defect. I ordered a new pump which they have installed, but still the same problem.
My car mechanic isŽnt a certified Lexus/Toyota mechanic, but heŽs good. IŽve given him the work shop manual for the RX to follow.
As far as I know, Boiling Power steering fluid is caused either by a defect pump, or an obstruction some where in the system.
Do you guys know where such an obstruction could be? (the lines have been flushed already), Any tips about what could be done Before ordering a new Power steering rack?
/Anders
Old 01-25-15, 06:52 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not boiling.

its bubbling caused by air in the system. bleed the system and it will be ok.

it can be difficult to get all of the air out, thats the problem.
Old 01-25-15, 08:05 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Thanks for your input Kiwi

According to my mechanic, they have bled the system several times and he insists that itŽs overheating. HavenŽt seen it with my own eyes, but I trust him. Some sort of obstruction seems to be the problem.
Old 01-25-15, 08:19 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

They have used ATF Dexron II as instructed in the owners manual.
Old 01-25-15, 09:20 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im not saying it isnt overheating. but i am pretty sure that the transmission gets a hell of alot hotter than the power steering system (even if you have something wrong with yours)

its not boiling, thats ludacris. i am glad you trust your mechanic, but what if he's wrong? he should have a laser thermometer, check the temperature of the fluid, and compare to the boiling point on the jug.

perhaps there is an air leak somewhere, sucking air in, causing the bubbling (not boiling).

i changed a powersteering pump on a dodge caravan about 2 years ago, it took forever to bleed that sucker, i mean forever, the rack and pump whined. we let the vehicle run for over 3-4 hours, turning the wheel every few minutes.

finally the air pocket left, and it was good to go.

its just being stubborn.
Old 01-25-15, 10:15 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Thanks for the info Kiwi
Your arguments sounds very convincing
I`ll speak to my mechanic tomorrow and give him the info you just gave me. IŽll let you know if we make any progress.
Old 01-28-15, 10:14 AM
AussieAuto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Kiwi, power steering doesn't boil, and trany temp would be much, much hotter than P/S system. It has to be air in the system, they can take along time to get it completely out. Yes get him to check temp with a laser temp or thermometer...
Old 02-12-15, 10:03 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Problem finally solved.

I was at the garage when they tried it out, and there was no bubbling in the reservoir , but the lines and reservoir got so hot that you couldŽnt touch it. The level in the reservoir kept Rising, and there was no help from the system when you turned the Wheels.

I Bought a new complete steering rack which they installed (from the same low mileage car where the new motor came from), and now Everything works perfect.

There must have been some sort of malfunction/obstruction in the valve on steering rack. Maybe my mechanic made some mistake and got some dirt /junk in there?

By curiosity, I opened up the valve (see pic) , but I looks normal to me.

Nice to have her back home again anyway.

/Anders