RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

xc90 vs. 330

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-03, 08:30 AM
jen9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xc90 vs. 330

My husband & I are trying to decide between the 330 & the xc90 ... the third row seats are a slight plus, but not a big deal. I prefer the exterior styling of the xc90, but think I like some of the other features of the 330. With the way Lexus is packaging the options, the 330 is not quite as attractive as I thought it would be. Any thoughts to help me decide????
Old 03-12-03, 09:39 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about that Lexus is the most reliable car on the planet?

A new Volvo has 40% more reported problems than a 3 year old Lexus.
A new Volvo is either at, or below the industry average in vehicle dependability...from the factory
This is my definition of "not quite as attractive as I thought it would be."
Attached Thumbnails xc90 vs. 330-untitled.jpg  
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reasons to Have the RX330 over XX90

Jen9, It seems like you came to the right place to ask this question.

Well, first of all, I have owned an RX300 before and the lease went up last fall. I then got a Volvo XC90 for my family. TO tell u honestly, I'm kinda not happy with the Volvo. It is a nice looking SUV but the quality is so-so and there is rattles and squeks. The Engine is not smooth like the RX300 and the handling is kinda slumpy at times. The Volvo is too jerky over the bumps also.The RX300 was fast, nice styling and etc. Also, the new RX330 is a very nice styling and it will grow on you. When the RX300 came out, it took people time to get used to it, but they love it now. Thus, it would be the same for the RX330. I personally prefer the luxo-sporty SUV look of the RX330 over the Volvo's big boxy Minivan like styling.

Also, the RX330 will be much more reliable and better qualities for the price. The new one will have a lot of more amneties and better safeties including Knee Airbags as well as curtain airbags. The RX330 also has a better interior driving position and safety features such as VSC- vehicle skid control, traction control, and is also 5 star in crash test in frontal and side.

Trust Me, You will love the RX330 a lot more the XC90. I put down my order for the RX330 and get rid of my XC90 because since the RX300 is alot better than the XC90, the RX330 will be even more better. Thus, Lexus has a better build quality and a better approach to Suv. The SUV is safe and reliable.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Dave

Last edited by Rexus300; 03-12-03 at 09:41 AM.
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about 2001?

Before I overdo it, 2000 was the 6th consecutive year that Lexus was #1.
Attached Thumbnails xc90 vs. 330-untitled-1.jpg  

Last edited by Daddy-O; 03-12-03 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-12-03, 04:28 PM
amontgom
Driver School Candidate

Default jen 9 - XC90 vs RX330

Jen -- I was in the same boat as you, but decided that reliability was the most important factor to me. Hence, I placed a deposit on the Lexus two weeks ago. Good luck to you in making this decision!

Andi
Old 05-29-03, 10:37 PM
TheLexMan
Driver School Candidate

Question

I was looking in the different threads and found this one about the 330 and XC90. I placed an order on the RX330 with NAV long time ago but my dealer kept jerking me around, telling me I have to wait 60-90 days. I left him and went to another one but too bad, he also told me the same thing, to get the NAV, I must wait to at least July. Anyway while waiting I spotted an XC90 in the street a couple of weeks ago, and to tell you the truth, this car look really great. I stopped by a VOLVO dealer, test drove it and it drove really nice. But I have no experience whatsoever with VOLVO and was wondering what you guys think about the 2 cars. I noticed you mentioned reliability, is VOLVO that bad in reliability? I also read that the XC90 got some good safety measures like the Anti-Rollover system.
Jan – what was your final decision? And if anybody else went through this comparison before, I would really appreciate it if you can shed some light on this subject please.

Thanks all for your help; you’ve been always there for great advices.

Ehab
Old 05-30-03, 12:24 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: xc90 vs. 330

i would get the Volvo with the twin turbo just because i have a Lexus already.

Originally posted by jen9
My husband & I are trying to decide between the 330 & the xc90 ... the third row seats are a slight plus, but not a big deal. I prefer the exterior styling of the xc90, but think I like some of the other features of the 330. With the way Lexus is packaging the options, the 330 is not quite as attractive as I thought it would be. Any thoughts to help me decide????
Old 05-30-03, 12:43 AM
abcdang
Driver School Candidate

The v6 xc90 has lots of turbo lag. It looks like it is bigger than the lexus and is probably more adept offroad, with pretty good on road handling.

You might want to take a look at this though
http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000154797.cfm

Apparently the mileage for this 5000 lbs truck isn't so good.
Old 05-30-03, 04:21 AM
Sully C5er
Rookie

We also considered the Volvo. We preferred the ride & comfort of the Lexus. Plus we looked at JD Powers 1-3 yr Reliability Ratings:

Lexus RX 300 -- Does not really stand out

However, Volvo ratings were even lower.
Old 05-30-03, 06:10 AM
cbest1465
Driver School Candidate

I went to the Lexus event in VA a couple of weeks ago and had the opportunity to drive the XC90. Sorry to say I wasn't impressed. It rattled the entire drive. There were rattles coming from every direction - IMO.

This vehicle had less then 200 miles on it at the time. I made it a point to drive it because I also liked the styling of it and thought it would be a good competitor for the 330.

Take the time to drive both - if you can - back to back - think you will notice a remarkable difference.

Chris
Old 05-30-03, 08:19 AM
TheLexMan
Driver School Candidate

Question

Thanks for feedbacks everybody, I'm actually interested more in the 2.5 model as apposed to the T6 since I think it's more practical and closer to the RX330 for comparison.
Chris - I also attempted the Luxury redefined event in CT about 3 weeks ago and made sure to drive the XC90 even though the line was moving so slow on it since there was only 1 car available. It was a black 2.5, it might be even the same one you drove and you're right, I did notice the rattles in the car but they were mainly coming from the sunroof. I did though noticed the bad gas mileage in the car, the average on it was 13.5 MPG. I made sure to reset it before the test which was about 3 miles, the car went 16MPG, it was mainly highway driving though. Does the RX330 do much better than that?

Ehab
Old 05-30-03, 02:29 PM
cbest1465
Driver School Candidate

No problem. Actually I wouldn't think the XC90 you drove in CT was the same as the one in VA. Our weekend was rain - so it was mud, mud, mud everywhere on the car, in the car. Those cars were trashed.

At our event, there were 7 RX's compared to 2 of the other vehicles, so I know what you mean about the wait to drive

I was thinking they problably get cars from area dealers. I wouldn't have wanted to be the detailer on any of them.

Wonder if they were sold at a discount after the event?

Chris
Old 05-30-03, 08:48 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

I remembered when I drove the Volve XC90, and tell you honestly it was one of the worst SUV i have ever driven in my life. It rattled alot and jerked over the bumps as well as the steering was a little slumpy. The reliablility is a poor thing for volvo and I know someone who gets only 12 mpg average. Whatsup with that?? Is it a hummer or what? I like the shape of the Volvo but no way I'm going to ever get it or even mention it to someone. The RX330 that my aunt has gives out average of 19-20 mpg as compared to my RX300 which had done average of 17-18 mpg. Even my QX4 has a better gas mileage than the Volvo, drives more accurate and rides a lot better. It also has a much better reliablility than the Volvo. So, i would recommend anyone who even thinks about the Volvo to reconsider thier choice. Keep in mind that the Volvo XC90 allready had 1-2 recalls as well as numerous service bulletins and rattle problems.
Old 05-31-03, 10:03 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where I live the XC90 just arrived. I have the following test drive experience, quite hilarious.

The dealer will not let anyone take the car over about 80km/h, 48mph or so. Moreover, no tight turns or U-turns allowed on the test drive. I asked the neighboring Lincoln and Jaguar dealers what is wrong with that Volvo dealership. They told me in clear English, the car just cannot handle high speed turns. In fact, the Lincoln dealer knew of at least two customers who had returned their vehicles due to performance dissatisfaction. My city is also full of speed bumps and the Jaguar dealership stated the Volvo dealership followed a prescribed route to avoid as many as possible, since the suspension apparently could not take it. Not believing my own ears, I confronted the Volvo dealer and asked him about this. He said it was all lies. However, when I challenged him to a test drive, first he asked if I had the money to pay for it (I own a Lexus), then he said we would not be allowed to do the things above. I asked him why, he said it was standard practice with Volvos. I took his test drive, but then a week later with another Volvo (S40) and a sales rep. No prescribed pattern or rules on how to test drive that car.
Old 06-01-03, 04:03 PM
lexusmd
Driver School Candidate

My wife and I did the RX330/XC90 comparison and found the handling, ride, seating comfort, visability, and styling much better on the RX330. I also noticed that we were gettting 9.3mpg on our XC90 test drive. Thats worse mpg than my brother's Suburban.

Quick Reply: xc90 vs. 330