RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Dealers RX330 Info Driving Me Nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-03, 04:54 PM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealers RX330 Info Driving Me Nuts!

I've asked this before - and gotten what I thought was pretty good information - but now I'm asking for more reassurance as I'd hate to have to wait four more months for a custom order...

Is the Performance Package going to come WITH the Nav system?? I just spoke with yet another dealer in my area that insisted that the initial builds of the 330's were NOT coming with both Perf and Nav.

Now I've heard 180 degrees opposite from others here. And frankly I don't understand why the two packages WOULDN'T come together. Are the Dealerships/sales people THIS much in the dark? Or are salespeople promising things that they shouldn't to folks.

Is there ANY official word from anyone or must I just put plans on hold until April 1?

Confused. Thanks in advance...
Old 03-10-03, 05:00 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I was told by a factory rep that the Performance Package would not be built with a Mark Levinson (therefore, also a Navigation) package. Unfortunately, the demo they brought around had both and my customer decided he wants to buy with all of it together on one car. (Of course he does!) I am positive that the initial build will NOT have both options available on one car. It sucks, I know, but probably in the future it will have it. Or talk to your local dealer about a special order. That USUALLY takes about 3 months time and is well worth the wait if you can get it exactly the way you want it. Good luck.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 03-10-03 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-10-03, 05:30 PM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

DOH!

That's a big omission on Lexus' part. I'm planning a driving trip for early June. We're down to one car right now and we were planning on dumping our XC90 order in favor of the 330 - but only if I can get what I want for $47K or whatever the dealers have been touting.

I appreciate your quick response but, man, that REALLY sucks - I was looking forward to the total package if you know what I mean.

What color was the demo?...maybe I can track it down and be the only one on my block with all the good options!
Old 03-10-03, 08:53 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cfisher,

If I were you, I would definetely get the RX330 over the VolvoXC90. We were going to order one until we test drove it and it get terribly flimsy at times and not good ridigty at the RX300 we had. It was jerking alot over bumps and there were some rattles and squeaks. Another person I know mentioned to me that the XC90 was not a very good handling SUV. I have decided that since the RX300 we had was great, we would order the new RX330. It would be a definate winner over the XC90 in terms of riding, handling, reliablilty, ridigty, and value.

Dave
Old 03-11-03, 05:49 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From some experience observing the new XC90s down here in Mexico City, go with a Lexus. People have taken them out on test drives, and the dealers refuse to let the people do handling maneuvers (no wonder given the previous comments). Moreover, I know of at least one person who was going to lease one of these things and after one speed bump, he said he would wait in line for a 4-Runner (only Toyota SUV we have right now).
Old 03-11-03, 05:50 AM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, after discussing with my wife I think we're still going to probably stick w/the 330. It's a little...no...a lot nicer inside and frankly the "Volvo is MUCH safer" scare tactics don't do a lot for me.

I guess the premium pkg isn't all that bad...but I really would have sprung for the air suspension and the suposedly better handling it will provide. I actually enjoy the ride of the X5!
Old 03-11-03, 07:17 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by Longo Lexus
I was told by a factory rep that the Performance Package would not be built with a Mark Levinson (therefore, also a Navigation) package.
I fail to see the logic in this type of packaging. Why would they (Lexus) think that a person doesn't want Nav when they get the Performance Package? It doesn't make any sence. Are they trying to keep the price lower?

What about Rear Entertainment? Can that be bundled with the Performance Package?

Don't know about others, but I'm really being put off about buying a Lexus. I've never purchased a Luxury vehicle before, but if this is what it's like, I'm going back down a level...

John
Old 03-11-03, 07:40 AM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by j4ydubs
I fail to see the logic in this type of packaging. Why would they (Lexus) think that a person doesn't want Nav when they get the Performance Package? It doesn't make any sence. Are they trying to keep the price lower?

What about Rear Entertainment? Can that be bundled with the Performance Package?

Don't know about others, but I'm really being put off about buying a Lexus. I've never purchased a Luxury vehicle before, but if this is what it's like, I'm going back down a level...

John

I suspect they are trying to keep price points separate from the GX maybe? I mean, if I want a 'loaded' vehicle...I want a loaded vehicle...

From what I am gathering, at this point in time, consumers are basically going to be picking 330's from what is being sent from Lexus - not actually ordering configurations. Dealers are at the mercy of Lexus' Marketing Plan. So to answer the q about RSES w/Performance - it doesn't sound like that config is available - See Below. Now, to be fair, I have heard that IF Lexus decides to take 'special orders' right away - and yes, that was an IF - it will at minimum be a 3 month wait.

If not sure where some folks were hearing the "3% will be available with Perf & Nav" because I have NOT been hearing that lately.

One slightly encouraging thing might be that one salesman mentioned that the 'factory installed' RSES is really just pre-wired at the factory and the actual 'system' is installed at the port. So maybe RSES availability with Performance Pkg MIGHT be a reality. Or you could always look to the aftermarket.

I guess this all boils down to confusion is the greatest right before official stuff is released.
Old 03-11-03, 11:23 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by cfisher
I suspect they are trying to keep price points separate from the GX maybe? I mean, if I want a 'loaded' vehicle...I want a loaded vehicle...
That's my guess as well. We'll see when they finally announce packages and pricing.

Dealers are at the mercy of Lexus' Marketing Plan. So to answer the q about RSES w/Performance - it doesn't sound like that config is available - See Below. Now, to be fair, I have heard that IF Lexus decides to take 'special orders' right away - and yes, that was an IF - it will at minimum be a 3 month wait.
They're (Lexus) likely shooting themselves in the foot (at least with regards to myself). I'm the demographic that they want to attract (and their vehicles have attracted me). I'm also very brand loyal. I currently own a Dodge Durango and a Dodge Avenger. I'm getting rid of the Avenger and Chrysler doesn't have a Vehicle for me to move up to - I test drove the Grand Cherokee, but it wasn't enough of an upgrade over my Durango (SLT +).

If this is the game Lexus plays, then they're not for me. When I spend my money, I get what I want, not what they currently have. My dealer is going to have a demo unit in the showroom this Saturday. I'm planning to go see it. I'm still hopeful that they'll be able to get the vehicle I want (I want the performance package and I want to pick my color - the rest is optional, but good if available - after market if not), but if not, there is a lot of competition to choose from (luckily).

John
Old 03-11-03, 01:06 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I can assure you this is not a game that Lexus is playing. I'm not entirely positive, but I THINK them not offerring a "full" package has something to do with either cost cutting OR it might be that there simply wasn't enough room inside the car to put all these features. You know, like when we had Nakamichi vs. Navigation? In any case, there is the option of a special order, you know. Again, not a bad idea if you can get the car exactly the way you want it. I already have 3 customers on my list that want cloth interior and no leather (too hot) or no sunroof (too tall).
Old 03-11-03, 01:42 PM
j4ydubs
Driver

In any case, there is the option of a special order, you know. Again, not a bad idea if you can get the car exactly the way you want it. I already have 3 customers on my list that want cloth interior and no leather (too hot) or no sunroof (too tall).
Will I have the option to special order (I've heard conficting reports) in April? And how long will that wait be? 8 weeks would be about my limit to wait (if ordered in April) and that's stretching it.

I know I sound like a inflexable hard a$$, but that's just the way I feel. If I were to walk into my Dodge dealer, I could tell them the exact configuration I wanted and they would either find it or special order it with a turnaround of less than 6 weeks. I expect at least the same from Lexus (actually, I expect more). Maybe I'm being unreasonable because of the demand for this vehicle? Maybe, but that's the way I am and I'm not going to change. I'll just move on to another company.

I'm still hoping my dealer will be able to get my RX330. I've put down a deposit and am just waiting for them to ask what I want. I'm #16 on the waiting list. I'll inquire again Saturday when I go see the demo RX330. Hopefully they will have more information (why is it taking so long to update the dealers?).

I'm getting all worked up and I haven't even given Lexus a chance yet. Isn't the internet great.

John
Old 03-11-03, 01:49 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Hi John, no you are not being unreasonable. Once most people decide they want something, they pretty much have to have it right away. It's okay because everybody is like that (believe me). The reason why Dodge can get any car you want in less time is because they are built in the US. All Lexus cars are built in Japan and need extra time to allocate something. Yes, the first 6 month production is still coming from Japan. Please stay in contact with your local Lexus dealer and I'm sure you will be able to get exactly the car you want. Good luck!

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 03-11-03 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 02:37 PM
j4ydubs
Driver

The reason why Dodge can get any car you want in less time is because they are built in the US. All Lexus cars are built in Japan and need extra time to allocate something. Yes, the first 6 month production is still coming from Japan. Please stay in contact with your local Lexus dealer and I'm sure you will be able to get exactly the car you want. Good luck!
That makes sence. Maybe that's why they are opening production in Canada in the fall? Thanks for the words of encouragement. I do hope that I can get the 330 I want, but I have my backup's in mind just in case I can't.

John
Old 03-11-03, 03:16 PM
330wannabe
Rookie

Hey j4ydubs, have you looked at the Pacifica?
Old 03-11-03, 03:52 PM
amontgom
Driver School Candidate

Default cfisher - Performance and NAV

The allocation at my dealer (East Coast) must be different than the West Coast. My dealer is only offering the Performance Package with the Nav and without the Rear Seat Entertainment system. I'm not sure if Lexus has different builds by region, but you might want to contact a couple of other dealers in your area to see if you can view their dealer allocation sheet, which clearly shows their percentages for each build.

Good luck -- and don't get frustrated.

Andi

Quick Reply: Dealers RX330 Info Driving Me Nuts!