RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 01-07-15, 04:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Melting dash or door panels on your RX?? No problem Lexus is replacing it!!

Old 02-04-15, 08:59 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenbake
Just got my letter and it doesn't include the door panels...But in the service bulletin on the Techstream site says that door panels are included. I wonder if it is only certain years or certain manufacturing plants that include the door panels.
I jjust got my letter today - 2009RX350 - and it does not explicitly include the door panels. But my panels are OK so far. I applied for reimbursement of the net amount (i.e after Lexus assistance) I paid to have the dash replaced last year. We'll see how rapidly it happens!
Old 02-05-15, 06:19 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

LSBen....Your dash seems to be exactly like mine. Mine make creaking noises when it is cold and it isn't cracked or melting but it leaks grease. I don't like to put shiny stuff on my dash but if I touch my dash my finger will be greasy. Also, in really hot weather it will make a pool of grease on the level part next to the ignition switch. It's gross and I am sick of having a shiny dash.
Old 02-05-15, 06:42 PM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They do have to take out the entire dash board to replace it and I am a little scared that once I get it back there will be rattles from them working on it.
Ditto jakenbake's comments,

My dash has a few cracks, you all saw my pictures in one of my previous posts. I am really worried that once I get my car back I am going to have rattles from them working on it.
I have no choice, it is a risk I have to take. I never liked the way the dashboard looks with all the cracks.

Last edited by robbyk; 02-06-15 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-05-15, 08:35 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl
I jjust got my letter today - 2009RX350 - and it does not explicitly include the door panels. But my panels are OK so far. I applied for reimbursement of the net amount (i.e after Lexus assistance) I paid to have the dash replaced last year. We'll see how rapidly it happens!
Hi pauljcl, did they do a good job when they replaced your dash? Does it make any creaking or rattle noises? This will help me determine whether I should go for the new dash. Thanks!
Old 02-05-15, 10:57 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LSBen
Hi pauljcl, did they do a good job when they replaced your dash? Does it make any creaking or rattle noises? This will help me determine whether I should go for the new dash. Thanks!
Yes, they did a great job. I had it done at Lexus of Kendall. They kept the car for two days. There were two very very slightly misaligned (small) panels/seams - but I am an obsessive perfectionist.
No creaks, no rattles, looks great - a slightly different texture and shade of black than the previous and the doors, but not a problem. Would I do it again - yes, unhesitatingly.
As I mentioned, Lexus of Kendall did a super job. But I do not know if all other Lexus dealers would do the replacement with the same quality of work.
Old 02-07-15, 06:23 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyk
I have a few cracks above the glove box.

My RX400h has a similar crack near the center console on the passenger side.....it was such an eye sore

I'm glad Lexus is willing to replace it

Since the work will take 1~2 days. Are we going to get a free loaner at the mean time?

Last edited by grabber2; 02-07-15 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-07-15, 11:54 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by grabber2
My RX400h has a similar crack near the center console on the passenger side.....it was such an eye sore

I'm glad Lexus is willing to replace it

Since the work will take 1~2 days. Are we going to get a free loaner at the mean time?
I did. Check with your dealer.
Old 02-08-15, 07:12 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by grabber2

Yes, Lexus will provide a loaner once the repair has been authorized by Lexus Corporate.
I am bringing mine in tomorrow for initial inspection. I was told they are going to take pictures of the dash and submit it to Corporate along with the VIN to schedule the repair.
For what I understand, even though we have received a letter regarding the warranty extension on the dash the repairs must be approved in advance by Lexus Corporate.
The person I spoke to indicated that it is a good 2 days job so they are going to provide a courtesy loaner.

Last edited by robbyk; 02-09-15 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-09-15, 12:14 PM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by robotmak
my driver side door panel is sticky and it's not covered
Your driver side should be covered even though is not stated in the letter. The other day I was on the phone with Lexus Corporate and I specifically asked about the fact the letter does not mention the door panels. The answer I got was that even if the door panels are not mentioned in the letter you need to bring it to the dealership's attention during your inspection, pictures are going to be taken by the dealership. Then the dealership submits this estimate to the them for approval.

In my case the door panels need to be replaced and the base of the driver's side mirror needs to be replaced, it is already starting to bubble up in the base from the heat of the sun. I brought this to the dealership's attention at the time of my inspection for the dash and was turned in to Lexus corporate and approved. If your door panels need to be replaced the Dealer is not going to include this in the warranty extension automatically, you have to tell them to include it for approval.
Attached Thumbnails Melting dash or door panels on your RX?? No problem Lexus is replacing it!!-img_3226.jpg  

Last edited by robbyk; 02-09-15 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-10-15, 11:42 AM
Nozzleman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woo Hoo I got my first letter today. It says to wait for a second letter. Should I wait or contact my dealer to get on the service schedule?
Old 02-10-15, 02:26 PM
chuckbass
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We got our letter, too! My dash is sticky, shiny and gross. Surprisingly, the top of the door panels isn't bad.

Good to know that I won't need to use my speaker muffling faux suede dash mat in the near future.
Old 02-10-15, 05:29 PM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nozzleman
Woo Hoo I got my first letter today. It says to wait for a second letter. Should I wait or contact my dealer to get on the service schedule?
I didn't wait for the second letter, I called my local Lexus Dealer to make the appointment.
I showed up for my appointment/inspection, they took pictures, in fact they didn't even asked for the letter. The service adviser called parts department, while I was there, to place the special order for the dashboard. I am already in line for my service when the dashboard becomes available.
He told me he is going to call me to bring the car for repairs when the dashboard comes in.
Old 02-11-15, 12:04 PM
Nozzleman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

COOL!
Thanks for the reply. I'll call them now.
Old 02-11-15, 08:57 PM
lexusfan05
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LSBen....Your dash seems to be exactly like mine. Mine make creaking noises when it is cold and it isn't cracked or melting but it leaks grease. I don't like to put shiny stuff on my dash but if I touch my dash my finger will be greasy. Also, in really hot weather it will make a pool of grease on the level part next to the ignition switch. It's gross and I am sick of having a shiny dash.
My dashboard creaked in winter even before it cracked. I looked into it and there was a TSB on it, but mine was out of warranty, so it was not covered. I believe that the center defroster vent is the issue. Since my car was in Florida before I bought it, it didn't see a real winter and the owner didn't get the TSB done.

My plan is to ask them to do the TSB (which is basically putting some foam strips around the plastic defroster opening) when replacing dash for cracking. That "rattle reduction kit" aka foam strips should cost $200 or so but it requires either dash removal or front glass removal. Nice design Lexus!

The noise kit part number seems to be 08231-00801. Overpriced for some foam strips, if you ask me.

Last edited by lexusfan05; 02-11-15 at 09:22 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 02-12-15, 05:51 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nozzleman
COOL!
Thanks for the reply. I'll call them now.
I would call them to get in the service line. They are not even going to look at the letter, the warranty extension is based on the VIN and Year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Melting dash or door panels on your RX?? No problem Lexus is replacing it!!