RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Michelin tires - which one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 08:01 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus997
I recently went through the same process and narrowed it down to the Michelin Pilot MXM4 99V within the Michelin brand. I then narrowed it down to the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia within their lineup. I went with the Bridgestone based on a previous good experience with them.

Michelin tires are more expensive than others.

If your heart is set on Michelins, I would have gone with the Pilot MVM4's myself.
I just purchased a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia, so far no complaints. I had Costco install all four of them for me. I have now about 200 miles on them and the ride is still smooth and the noise is down to the very minimum.
We are going on a long trip next week of about 600 miles round trip. I am going to update this thread upon our return.
Old 12-09-14, 04:24 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have over 10K miles on the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia. I am very satisfied the performance and low noise level. These tires have less roll resistance and slightly improve gas milage. I understand that Costco has $70 off Bridgestone tires until the end of the December.
Old 12-09-14, 07:10 PM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Rainbird
I have over 10K miles on the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia. I am very satisfied the performance and low noise level. These tires have less roll resistance and slightly improve gas milage. I understand that Costco has $70 off Bridgestone tires until the end of the December.
Rainbird,

That is correct, Costco has $70 off Bridgestone tires. In addition to the reviews that was another factor. Total out the door was little over $700 including road hazard, they replaced all theTPMS, and filled all tires with Nitrogen.
Old 12-10-14, 12:42 PM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have the Sumitomo Touring LS tires. It took about 1K for them to get broken in. We had some shaking at high speeds, but that's all worked out new. They ride nice but they are loud. The quiet nature of the RX makes the loud tires more noticeable. They're not expensive, but I think I'll go to Michelins next time. The Sumitomo's were not our choice, the RX came with them, brand new from the dealership.
Old 12-12-14, 07:57 PM
gasconguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2K on the Michelin Premiers, and they are great. Rougher roads make louder rides, but these tires handle great, are quiet, and were killer in the wet snow we had in Colorado a few weeks ago. I am happy, but I have no experience with the Ecopias or Continentals that others are liking, so I have no reference point.
Old 12-19-14, 10:42 AM
JefferyISC
Driver School Candidate

Check out Hankook Ventus. Very quiet, and good performance. Can get on tire rack and send to a local tire shop for install. Sometimes, your tire shop (Tires Plus, etc) can order them direct from tire rack at a slightly better dealer discount.

On my 2nd set for my 2007 RX350. Get an 40k wear. I don't trust higher mileage tires. They always end up louder.
Old 12-19-14, 10:49 AM
JefferyISC
Driver School Candidate

Hankooks were $800 installed at Lexus dealer with road hazard & the usual fixins. For the 2nd round, I went the tire rack route and total install was in low $7s, which I did front & rear separately ab 10k miles apart. My dad has 2012 rx350 and he switched from michelins to hankook because of the noise.
Old 12-21-14, 03:07 PM
Band
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consumer Reports rates Michelin Latitude Tour as the best light truck/suv tire. Bottom of their tests are the Ecopia and Alenza in their respective categories. FYI
Old 01-09-15, 10:48 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by roadbike56
We have the Sumitomo Touring LS tires. It took about 1K for them to get broken in. We had some shaking at high speeds, but that's all worked out new. They ride nice but they are loud. The quiet nature of the RX makes the loud tires more noticeable. They're not expensive, but I think I'll go to Michelins next time. The Sumitomo's were not our choice, the RX came with them, brand new from the dealership.
Ended up switching to Michelin Premier A/S, I couldn't stand the humming/ tire noise coming from the Bridgestones. We went on a road trip of about 1,000 miles round trip and thought that the noise would come down after a few miles, I was wrong.

The Michelins are pretty quite, luckily they have $70 OFF on a set of four tires installed. Regular price for each tire is $204.99 but with the discount each tire comes down to $187.49 limited time discount. Now the ride is really smooth and the noise is gone.

Last edited by robbyk; 01-09-15 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-09-15, 10:54 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexiRX
I'm buying tires at Sam's Club and thought I wanted the Michelin Pilot MXM4 99V - BUT the guy says the Premier tires have a longer wear warranty and are less expensive.

I remember reading up on tires a lot and deciding the MXM4 were the ones to get but now I'm confused. My main requirement is QUIET over all else. Sport tires will surely be firmer and louder.

Just second guessing myself - the Premiere are cheaper/worse - or no?
I just switched from Bridgestone to Michelin Premier and I have to say that I am quite happy with the move. The Brigestone were louder than i thought. In case you haven't purchased tires go with the Michelin, you can't go wrong.
Old 01-09-15, 01:04 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyk
Ended up switching to Michelin Premier A/S, I couldn't stand the humming/ tire noise coming from the Bridgestones. We went on a road trip of about 1,000 miles round trip and thought that the noise would come down after a few miles, I was wrong.

The Michelins are pretty quite, luckily they have $70 OFF on a set of four tires installed. Regular price for each tire is $204.99 but with the discount each tire comes down to $187.49 limited time discount. Now the ride is really smooth and the noise is gone.
How many miles do you have on the bridgestone? I got mine replaced 1 year ago and I have no noise issue.....
Old 01-09-15, 01:53 PM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kickin8
How many miles do you have on the bridgestone? I got mine replaced 1 year ago and I have no noise issue.....
I had about 1,100 miles on them. In the beginning I didn't think much of it because I wanted to allow for the tires to break in. So after 1,100 miles I thought it was enough of a break-in period and decided to switch to what I had a before.
Old 01-09-15, 03:07 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

I'd look at Tire Rack and the reviews others have posted on the models you're looking at.
Michelin has been very good to me. I've had Bridgestones on 2 vehicles and they didn't last long at all.
Old 01-13-15, 03:52 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

The dealer installed a new set of Pilot HX MXM4 last year when we bought the RX last year. Seems louder and harsher than the set of Latitude Tour we had on an 09 Honda CRV. Next set will be Latitude Tour or Premier A/S on the Lexus, but that's 3 years later at least.
Old 01-14-15, 07:33 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia for the RX, very good tires for this car. made the ride feel new again.

just got Michelin Premier A/S for my Accord. Also very good tires. didnt know they could be used on the RX as well.

Quick Reply: Michelin tires - which one?