RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

It's Here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-03, 07:56 AM
ZoomSport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking It's Here!

Guam has just received its first shipment of 2004 RX330's today, and I was one of the first customers to see it. I was driving down the main highway that passes by our local Toyota/Lexus showroom, and something spectacular caught my eye. It was shocking to see the brand new RX sitting in front of the vehicle prep area ajacent to the showroom. I quickly made a u-turn and drove up into the parkinglot right next to the RX330. The Lexus Manager and my Uncle John, (A Lexus Sales Rep) came up to me and said, "We got it!" So they opened that baby up and we were picking at it's awesome gadgets. I especially liked the power rear door. Lexus has surely paid so much attention to details in this model. The vehicle I saw was a base model (I think) with the small moonroof, and the power rear door. No AFS, Height Controll, Big *** moonroof, Mark Levinson, DVD player/Navigation. One major difference with the outgoing 2003's and the brand new 2004's is the placement of the spare tire. It's still a full size tire (not a doughnut tire) but it's now under the vehicle (instead of inside under the plastic coverings in the cargo bay) like other sports utility vehicles. The storage space is great and more gracious under the cargo area. Rear passenger door openings are wider and entrance into the vehicle is easier, rear seats are more supportive, and the entire car has better ergonomics. Another difference in the model that I saw was that the moon roof was smaller, and didn't have a one-touch opener/closer. I think the IS has this. The antenna isn't centered at the rear... it's located on the right passenger side to the rearmost of the roofline. Lexus adressed the "Cheap plastic look" that many people were complaining about in the outgoing RX, and used more classy material. Even the lighting and the vanity mirrors are more refined! Bigger mirrors to look into with neat looking lights that dim. In order to move the center adjustable console, you have to lift a lever and then push the whole thing forward or back. (Kind of like the sliding rear bench) We were looking for an ashtray in the car, but we couldn't find one. For the door sensors, each door now has its own sensor. (When one is open, a light indicating which section, including the rear door, is lit up on the instrument cluster) The roof lining is smoother, although thankfully it's not like the one in the GX. Well, at least that's good for Guam. About 2 weeks ago, I saw a GX that was just placed in the showroom that had its fabric roof lining dropping down at the rear. Since I was the first one to notice that, they thanked me and immediately switched the demo vehicles. Anyway, I really love what they did to the new RX. It looks more sportier, sleeker, and in my honest opinion... more manlier than my RX. Don't get me wrong... my 2001 blue vapor metallic RX300 is great... but this new 330 is something unreal. My mom and I might be heading to the showroom tomorrow to test drive the new 330. I hope it impresses her as much as it impressed me. Eat your heart out Infiniti FX35!
Old 03-07-03, 12:54 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool You've beaten me to it!!!

Okay ZoomSport:

You have beaten me to it.

I took the 2003 RX330 for a quick test drive this afternoon but found some likes and dislikes. Of course the RX330 I test drove was only a basic 4WD model.

- Powered open and closed rear door. (very cool looking)
- Nice engine sound of the 3.3L. V6

Dislikes:
- Didn't have Auto Open/Close feature for the moon roof.
- If you continue to press the open/close switch for the moon roof to close this cause it to become open as tilt. If you continue to press the tilt switch for the moon roof will slide open. Strange but did not have time to play with the moon roof or talk to anyone about it. I had problem figuring out if I closed the moon roof properly or if left a lit adjar. (Don't know if this is only a problem with this demo or all the RX330 does this)
- When cruising if you step on the accelerator there is a long lag time to down shift. Way too long for my taste. I am sure a lot of people is going to complain about this.
- Does not seem any faster than my dad's 2001 Toyota Highlander 4WD. Don't feel the low end torque. Of course I did not floor it. The demo car is not broken in yet.
- Don't like the brush aluminum issert at the door where the window switch is. I think it would be better if it is wood.

I will probably drop by this weekend to check it out in more detail.

Chu..

Last edited by ChuH; 03-07-03 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-07-03, 03:49 AM
ZoomSport
Driver School Candidate

Talking Hiya ChuH!

Hey ChuH! It's nice to see someone from Guam other than me and my brother Manny on this forum.... I didn't get the chance to test drive the RX today.... was too busy. But anyway, you know that I read on the lexus website under the new RX330 specifications that the moonroof would be auto open/close one touch controlls for the moonroof. Did you notice the smaller size of the moonroof compared to the outgoing RX300's? I think the reason why they put a smaller one was to make room for the rear door auto opener/closer mechanism. For the engine downshifting, I experience the same problem on my RX, most especially after evening out from a steep incline... (The underpass incline) So that's nothing new. lol. Dave, Lexus Manager, test drove the 330 and he told me that you can feel a significant "umph" in the engine compared to the 300. I think you'd notice it if you've been driving a 300 for a while because I do admit that the RX300 is a bit sluggish, but it suffices.
The wood was alright to me, but it did seem a bit odd with the combination of wood and metalic finish on the window cotrols. Maybe if they make everything metalic for a sport edition, it'd match. I agree with you on the all wood thing.
What I want to find out is the turning diameter and how it improved because it's hard for me to make big turns at the itty bitty intersectional turns like the one in front of AK. What do you think of the new center information display instead of the outgoing LCD display screen? I think it looks cool with the white background. I can't wait to test drive one of these baby's equipped with the air suspension and that shifty thingie. I hope they make some of these models loaner cars cause I'd put my car in just to drive the new 330 around. lol
Old 03-07-03, 04:08 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Hi ZoomSport:

Were you at the last Guam Meet just before the Import Night last year? I remember someone with a RX300 backing into a sign at the AK where we all met to drive down to the Import Night. Was that you or your RX?

I guess I am too used to the torque of the V8 to tell the difference between the 3.0 V6 and 3.3 V6.

As for the moon roof control. I think there may be a problem with the demo model I drove. Did not make sense of what happen when I tried to close the moon roof. Try it tomorrow when you get the chance. The one touch open/closed feature for sure did not work when I tried it. Leave the tilt button depress and see what happens. Also press the closed button continuously even when it is closed and see what happens. Feature or defect???

Chu...
Old 03-07-03, 05:16 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Default Problems with the moon roof and powered rear door

Okay this morning I decided to drop by the Lexus dealership again to check out the problem with the moon roof control I encountered in yesterday's test drive. When I first got it the problem again appeared. This time with the moon roof closed I depress the closed button and moon roof tilt open. Continue pressing the closed button and the roof open. The one touch open and close of the moon roof did not work. Push the rear door open/close switch and the rear door refuse to open. Shut off the engine and restarted. This time the rear door open when the button is pressed and closed when the button is press again. The one touch open/closed feature for the moon roof now works. I think there is a problem with the electronic. I do not know if this is a isolated case. Maybe Lexus will have a fix to this soon if it because a problem.

One more note. I thought the RX330 was suppose to be built in Canada? The sticker on the door shows Made in Japan?

Chu....
Old 03-07-03, 06:17 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Chu,

I live in Michigan, which is 45 minutes away from were they are going to produce the 2004 LEXUS RX330. The production for these RX330 will be produced in both Japan and Canada. However, the Japan will make these RX330 from now till this fall when the Canada Factory opens. Then, both will make the RX330 together to keep up with demands.

Dave
Old 03-07-03, 11:51 PM
ZoomSport
Driver School Candidate

Default Made in Japan and Canada

Okay, okay.... yes that was me at AK that backed into that stupid sign. I felt so embarased. I stil have the dent on my rear bumper. Anyway, the RX330's will be made in both Japan and Canada. The US market would get the Canadian built ones, and then the Asian/European market would get the Japan Built ones. Japan for now, and then Canada when the plant is ready. That is what Dave told me. Rexus300 is right. About the moonroof thing: The Lexus people at AK were looking into that same problem with the moonroof. I guess they didn't get the kinks out yet. I wonder why though. Hey, was the 330 model you test drove a base model? Cause I saw other colors besides the light blue one I first saw.

ZoomSport