RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Looking to buy a used rx

Old 11-21-14, 01:58 PM
ninetwosix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a used rx

Hello all,

As the title states, looking to buy my first Lexus RX 350 for my wife. I found an '08 model with low miles (under 40k), however upon looking at the service history there are repairs needed. The big one I see is the steering rack pinion needs replacing, rear brake pads, cooling fluids and couple other things. My question is who is responsible for the costs? Would the dealer fix these items prior to a sale or just push it on an unsuspecting buyer?

Thanks.

Luke
Old 11-21-14, 03:22 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

That is all part of the negotiation process. If the car is listed and priced "as-is" then the dealer doesn't have to do anything to it.

We bought ours CPO with new tires/brakes/battery already done so we didn't have to worry about anything for a few years.

Originally Posted by ninetwosix
Hello all,

As the title states, looking to buy my first Lexus RX 350 for my wife. I found an '08 model with low miles (under 40k), however upon looking at the service history there are repairs needed. The big one I see is the steering rack pinion needs replacing, rear brake pads, cooling fluids and couple other things. My question is who is responsible for the costs? Would the dealer fix these items prior to a sale or just push it on an unsuspecting buyer?

Thanks.

Luke
Old 11-22-14, 05:51 AM
ninetwosix
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Guess I'll drive down to check it out.
Old 11-22-14, 03:40 PM
ninetwosix
Driver School Candidate

So I went to the dealership and talked to the salesman. The vehicle is currently marked as is, but he mentioned that its going to go thru the CPO process. But he also mentioned that costs $1,000 extra. Not sure if that makes any sense. Any idea with the CPO warranty (3yr,100k) miles covers?
Old 11-22-14, 04:44 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So I went to the dealership and talked to the salesman. The vehicle is currently marked as is, but he mentioned that its going to go thru the CPO process. But he also mentioned that costs $1,000 extra. Not sure if that makes any sense. Any idea with the CPO warranty (3yr,100k) miles covers?
What a munch of bull. If they are not a Lexus dealership they can't do a CPO process. there are no warranties with any of this. $1000 dollars more, most likely an aftermarket warranty not worth of paper it written on. Move on and find another RX350.
Old 11-22-14, 04:48 PM
ninetwosix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
What a munch of bull. If they are not a Lexus dealership they can't do a CPO process. there are no warranties with any of this. $1000 dollars more, most likely an aftermarket warranty not worth of paper it written on. Move on and find another RX350.
It is a Lexus dealer so I was confused why something they were going to do anyway, would cost an additional 1,000.
Old 11-22-14, 05:07 PM
Rainbird

It is a Lexus dealer so I was confused why something they were going to do anyway, would cost an additional 1,000.
Glad it's a Lexus dealership. It's a fact that a CPO will cost more and $1000 is about what is added to the vehicle for CPO. It's your call, but considering the service history of known problems I would insist they fix those before purchase.
Old 11-22-14, 05:08 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

We bought ours CPO in 2010. At that time some Lexus dealers we shopped were offering used RX's non CPO but would add the CPO warranty for ~$1800 or so.

We extended our CPO warranty to 5 years. Paid off for us, we used it to cover the steering rack and ignition lock last year.

Check the Lexus website to see what the CPO warranty covers.
Old 11-22-14, 05:21 PM
ninetwosix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Glad it's a Lexus dealership. It's a fact that a CPO will cost more and $1000 is about what is added to the vehicle for CPO. It's your call, but considering the service history of known problems I would insist they fix those before purchase.
If I were to purchase the vehicle with the CPO certification, than they would have to fix everything at no cost to me right?

Edit: Actually when searching for lexus CPO vehicles, this vehicle is displayed on a search result.

BELT, DRIVE - REPLACE - ,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE - CUSTOMER WILL HAVE WORK PERFORMED LATER
COMPLETE COOLING SYSTEM FLUID EXCHANGE - ,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE - CUSTOMER WILL HAVE WORK PERFORMED LATER
PADS, BRAKE (REAR) - AT 3MM - ,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE - CUSTOMER WILL HAVE WORK PERFORMED LATER
RACK AND PINION, STEERING - REPLACE. LEAKS. HEAVY - ,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE - CUSTOMER WILL HAVE WORK PERFORMED LATER
ALIGNMENT, WHEEL - FOUR - ADJUST - ,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE - CUSTOMER WILL HAVE WORK PERFORMED LATER
COMPLETE POWER STEERING FLUID EXCHANGE - ,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE - CUSTOMER WILL HAVE WORK PERFORMED LATER

Looks like the following was done.
PADS, BRAKE (REAR) - REPLACE AND RESURFACE ROTORS ON - VEHICLE - PADS, BRAKE (REAR) - REPLACE AND RESURFACE ROTORS ON - VEHICLE, 4MM - PADS REPLACED
PRE - OWNED 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT
ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER - REPLACE
MICROFILTER - REPLACE
INSULATED CENTER DASH - DASH RATTLES OVER BUMPS, ADDITIONAL LABOR AND PARTS REQUIRED -

CERTIFIED PRE - OWNED PDI - CERTIFIED PRE - OWNED PDI - INSPECTION COMPLETE, NO LOF - OIL CHANGED 100 MIELS AGO
Old 11-26-14, 10:57 AM
UCF3
Rookie

If I were to purchase the vehicle with the CPO certification, than they would have to fix everything at no cost to me right?

Edit: Actually when searching for lexus CPO vehicles, this vehicle is displayed on a search result.

BELT, DRIVE - REPLACE - ,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE - CUSTOMER WILL HAVE WORK PERFORMED LATER
COMPLETE COOLING SYSTEM FLUID EXCHANGE - ,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE - CUSTOMER WILL HAVE WORK PERFORMED LATER
PADS, BRAKE (REAR) - AT 3MM - ,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE - CUSTOMER WILL HAVE WORK PERFORMED LATER
RACK AND PINION, STEERING - REPLACE. LEAKS. HEAVY - ,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE - CUSTOMER WILL HAVE WORK PERFORMED LATER
ALIGNMENT, WHEEL - FOUR - ADJUST - ,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE - CUSTOMER WILL HAVE WORK PERFORMED LATER
COMPLETE POWER STEERING FLUID EXCHANGE - ,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE - CUSTOMER WILL HAVE WORK PERFORMED LATER

Looks like the following was done.
PADS, BRAKE (REAR) - REPLACE AND RESURFACE ROTORS ON - VEHICLE - PADS, BRAKE (REAR) - REPLACE AND RESURFACE ROTORS ON - VEHICLE, 4MM - PADS REPLACED
PRE - OWNED 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT
ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER - REPLACE
MICROFILTER - REPLACE
INSULATED CENTER DASH - DASH RATTLES OVER BUMPS, ADDITIONAL LABOR AND PARTS REQUIRED -

CERTIFIED PRE - OWNED PDI - CERTIFIED PRE - OWNED PDI - INSPECTION COMPLETE, NO LOF - OIL CHANGED 100 MIELS AGO
Aren't Lexus Certifications cost more than $1000?
Old 11-26-14, 04:53 PM
Rainbird

Originally Posted by UCF3
Aren't Lexus Certifications cost more than $1000?
Generally speaking yes. The CPO warranty is good for 3 years from purchase date or 100k total vehicle miles. The CPO warranty is not transferable and the CPO price can vary depending on the vehicles total mileage at certification.