RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx330 hwy ride quality

Old 11-16-14, 08:20 AM
Ehucman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx330 hwy ride quality

Hello everyone. I was trying to google my concern but no answers so here i am.
Just trying to find out if its normal or not.
Mu question is; i noticed while driving past 100 km/h i feel different ride quality i am not sure if thats a slight sensation of vibration or its just different because of speed, because when doing 80km/h theres absolutely nothing. But when doing 110, i could say i feel vibration on my spine. By the way, i did all the road force balance and did inspect everything b4 i came here for advise. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 11-16-14, 09:46 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one option i always love is to go drive another one.

look online and find a dealer with a similar year and mileage (suspension too air vs non air) and go for a drive. might need a friend to drive you since they may not believe you want to trade yours for a similar one.

if the other one does it, it might be normal, or at least something common.

other option is a wheel bearing.

just out of curiousity, did they just balance your wheels on a road force balancer? or did they do the entire process involving checking each rim, each tire, then matching each tire to each rims (alot of labour).
Old 11-18-14, 04:30 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

are you running 17" or 18" ?
Old 11-21-14, 05:15 PM
Ehucman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kiwi
one option i always love is to go drive another one.

look online and find a dealer with a similar year and mileage (suspension too air vs non air) and go for a drive. might need a friend to drive you since they may not believe you want to trade yours for a similar one.

if the other one does it, it might be normal, or at least something common.

other option is a wheel bearing.

just out of curiousity, did they just balance your wheels on a road force balancer? or did they do the entire process involving checking each rim, each tire, then matching each tire to each rims (alot of labour).
thanks for suggestions, but I went to the mechanic, and he said everything seems fine mechanically.. i guess my only option would be to test drive another one.
tires have been expected and rims as well while doing the Hunter road force balancing. no luck.
chances are high that its the way car drives. i had the car for a year and always kept it below 100 km/h, and it was smooth. since i started taking it over 100 i noticed its different. I guess it was like that before, i was just not aware...
Old 11-24-14, 01:46 PM
coluccim
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is that like 70mph?

My car is very smooth after a loadforce balance up to 85mph or so.
Old 11-25-14, 09:44 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehucman
Hello everyone. I was trying to google my concern but no answers so here i am.
Just trying to find out if its normal or not.
Mu question is; i noticed while driving past 100 km/h i feel different ride quality i am not sure if thats a slight sensation of vibration or its just different because of speed, because when doing 80km/h theres absolutely nothing. But when doing 110, i could say i feel vibration on my spine. By the way, i did all the road force balance and did inspect everything b4 i came here for advise. Any suggestions are appreciated.
The RX is normally very smooth all the way to top speed of 110mph or so (170 km/h). If yours vibrates, it is that something is not OK. If you are sure your rims and tires are OK, then it is something else, e.g. some alignment or unbalanced driveshaft or bearing.
Old 11-25-14, 10:44 AM
BensonRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pauljcl
The RX is normally very smooth all the way to top speed of 110mph or so (170 km/h). If yours vibrates, it is that something is not OK. If you are sure your rims and tires are OK, then it is something else, e.g. some alignment or unbalanced driveshaft or bearing.
Yep. Can also be caused by worn steering or front suspension components.
Old 11-26-14, 09:53 AM
UCF3
Rookie

It could be uneven tire treads. Do you have a depth metre that you could check all 4 tires?

The Steering rack is another issue, but the Tech(lexus/toyota) would have seen that.
Old 11-29-14, 03:27 PM
Ehucman
Driver School Candidate

thanks for suggestion, i should also mention that the vibrations starts right after 100 km/h mark, and its very consistant, kinda feels like a slight phone vibration, when I put my hand on the passenger head rest. its so hard to diagnose. tires are ok. had that inspected and balanced too many times.
unbalanced drive shaft, is what I should check next according to you? can i do that in any garage, or only lexus? thanks a bunch
Old 11-29-14, 03:32 PM
Ehucman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coluccim
My car is very smooth after a loadforce balance up to 85mph or so.
are you saying that you absolutely feel no difference when doing 80 km/h or 120??
maybe you just never payed attention to that, or maybe there really isnt a vibration in your car.
next time you are on the highway put your hand on the passenger head rest right before you get on the hwy. and hold it, to see if there is a difference once you hit 100-120..

please let me know.. txs
Old 11-30-14, 09:52 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

are you saying that you absolutely feel no difference when doing 80 km/h or 120??
maybe you just never payed attention to that, or maybe there really isnt a vibration in your car.
next time you are on the highway put your hand on the passenger head rest right before you get on the hwy. and hold it, to see if there is a difference once you hit 100-120..

please let me know.. txs
No difference, no vibration. Closing in on ticket territory though!
Old 11-30-14, 10:55 AM
Ehucman
Driver School Candidate

No difference, no vibration. Closing in on ticket territory though!
Awsome.. Thanks for reply. Maybe its just in my head. Would like to try another one, but again, i dont feel like searching for one and asking dealership if i can drive it on the HWY. Since they only expect you to take it around the corner.
I will wait, maybe it will get worse.. So i can diagnose it easier.. Thanks again
Old 11-30-14, 09:13 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Awsome.. Thanks for reply. Maybe its just in my head. Would like to try another one, but again, i dont feel like searching for one and asking dealership if i can drive it on the HWY. Since they only expect you to take it around the corner.
I will wait, maybe it will get worse.. So i can diagnose it easier.. Thanks again
If you had your rims/tires roadforce balanced, I would return where they did the job and complain. Good luck, anyway!
Old 12-03-14, 10:13 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Factory rims or aftermarket?