Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

How Long Have Your Tire Pressure Sensors Lasted?

Old 11-01-14, 08:05 AM   #1
sderman
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default How Long Have Your Tire Pressure Sensors Lasted?

In a previous post (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-s...-monitors.html) I indicated that I was going to put new tires on my 2007 RX350 and was wondering whether I need to replace the 4 tire pressure sensors since it's now in it's 8th year. Lexus says the sensors should be good for about 10 years. Would those with a 07 and earlier RX please give me your experiences with your tire pressure sensors. It would be most useful if we get both positive and negative experiences since if only the negatives are mentioned, the results of this informal survey would be skewed improperly. Thanks in advance!

PS: Mine is a low mileage car (about 45K) and spends most of the time in the garage rather outside on hot summer days, I say this because some have postulated that the sensor battery life may be impacted by the amount of driving one does. Any input on this would also be appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by sderman; 11-01-14 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: spelling error, added another thought
sderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-14, 07:05 AM   #2
lexus997
Driver School Candidate

11 years and counting on the original TPMS system on a 2004 Acura MDX.

Our RX350 is not old enough yet.
lexus997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-14, 09:14 AM   #3
Rainbird
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is eight years and counting. Don't forget if you change out the sensors with new ones, the transmitter ID needs to be registered in the tire pressure monitor ECU. Toyota or Lexus can do this with their computer.
Old 11-02-14, 11:10 AM   #4
sderman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbird View Post
Mine is eight years and counting. Don't forget if you change out the sensors with new ones, the transmitter ID needs to be registered in the tire pressure monitor ECU. Toyota or Lexus can do this with their computer.
I know. It's one of the reasons I'd prefer not to replace the sensors if I don't have to. I buy my tires from Tire Rack and prefer to have the local Lexus dealer install them. But even with a great price for the sensors from Sewell, the additional dealer cost to mount the sensors and to reprogram them adds up (especially when they are not making a profit on the tires or the sensors).
sderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-14, 09:03 PM   #5
lexo98
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

If you end up needing new sensors go to Costco. Sensors will run about $46 each and installation is $14 each and that includes reprogramming. The sensors will be aftermarket, but they are made by Dill, and they make sensors for some of the car manufacturers.
lexo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 11:37 AM   #6
AJ@TireRack.com
Platinum Sponsor

We are finding most TPMS sensors last 7-8 years. They operate on a battery similar to a watch battery and of course have a service life. The battery can not be replaced.

Since most vehicles started with sensors in 2007, I anticipate there will be a huge influx of customers needing TPMS in the new future.
aj@tirerack.com
Support Club Lexus!!!
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic243243_1.gif
AJ@TireRack.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-14, 01:47 AM   #7
jim618
Driver School Candidate

Mine are going dead. My RX is a 2007....

Now I use the alternate sensor method of just checking my pressures with a tire gauge on a regular basis
jim618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-14, 04:26 AM   #8
lexus997
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim618 View Post
Now I use the alternate sensor method of just checking my pressures with a tire gauge on a regular basis

The US government knows that method does not work for Americans. That is why they mandated TPMS. You better watch out for the TPMS police!

The "manual method" is what we use on our vehicles when we install winter tires, but I will admit that I do grow tired of looking at the warning light.
Old 11-04-14, 09:44 AM   #9
LAH2U
Driver School Candidate

Default TPMSg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexo98 View Post
If you end up needing new sensors go to Costco. Sensors will run about $46 each and installation is $14 each and that includes reprogramming. The sensors will be aftermarket, but they are made by Dill, and they make sensors for some of the car manufacturers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com View Post
We are finding most TPMS sensors last 7-8 years. They operate on a battery similar to a watch battery and of course have a service life. The battery can not be replaced.

Since most vehicles started with sensors in 2007, I anticipate there will be a huge influx of customers needing TPMS in the new future.
I am starting to get worried that I might be asked to leave this group as I am asking too many questions!! Lol

AJ, in this attached quote, you state that the TMPS did not start until 2007. My 2005 RX 330 has some kind of tire pressure sensor as I have read about it briefly but I'm not really sure how it operates. Do you have any kind of info on this as. I have managed to fully confuse myself with all these sensors??
Thanks so much once again. 🙈 🙉🙊
LAH2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-14, 12:06 PM   #10
lexus997
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAH2U View Post
I am starting to get worried that I might be asked to leave this group as I am asking too many questions!! Lol

AJ, in this attached quote, you state that the TMPS did not start until 2007. My 2005 RX 330 has some kind of tire pressure sensor as I have read about it briefly but I'm not really sure how it operates. Do you have any kind of info on this as. I have managed to fully confuse myself with all these sensors??
Thanks so much once again. 🙈 🙉🙊
The Feds mandated TPMS in 2007. However, several manufactures implemented TPMS before then.
Old 11-04-14, 12:31 PM   #11
AJ@TireRack.com
Platinum Sponsor

As Lexus997 said, I should have said a form of TPMS was mandated starting with 2007 vehicles. Most vehicles on the road did not see a TPMS prior to 2007.

I apologize for the confusion.
aj@tirerack.com
Support Club Lexus!!!
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic243243_1.gif
AJ@TireRack.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-14, 02:20 PM   #12
kickin8
2IS/2RX

No problems with both of my 07s. Just replace them when needed.

HIS: 07' IS250 6MT Tungsten Pearl/Black
F-Sport Intake / F-Sport Quick Shifter / Aluminum Pedals / ARC Shift****
Linea Corsa Dyna / White Illuminated Door Sills / Canadian IS All Weather Floor Mats

HERS: 07' RX350 AWD Millennium Silver / Gray
Canadian RX All Weather Floor Mats (gone)
WeatherTech FloorLiner
kickin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-14, 08:44 PM   #13
lexo98
Pole Position

[QUOTE=LAH2U;8774818]I am starting to get worried that I might be asked to leave this group as I am asking too many questions!! Lol

If the valve where you put air in your tire has a rubber valve stem your TPMS system works based on how many times the wheel spins and does not have an actual sensor.
lexo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 02:02 AM   #14
biff44
Lead Lap

i have always wondered about something, could i get a 2nd set of tires/wheels (like for winter use) and have all 8 TPMS sensors registered in the ECU, or would i have to reprogram the ECU in the spring when i took the snow tires off and put the regular tires on?
biff44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 10:42 PM   #15
NVAKeith
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff44 View Post
i have always wondered about something, could i get a 2nd set of tires/wheels (like for winter use) and have all 8 TPMS sensors registered in the ECU, or would i have to reprogram the ECU in the spring when i took the snow tires off and put the regular tires on?
Our 2007 has the ability to store two sets of sensors. There is a button to switch between the two sets. I had the dealer program in my snows a couple years ago and I swap the wheels myself at home in the spring/fall. Works great!
NVAKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 10:42 PM