RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How Long Have Your Tire Pressure Sensors Lasted?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-14, 06:38 PM
wzwz8221
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2008 RX-350 one of the five sensors stopped working a few months ago. I got a new sensor from Costco tire center for about $50.. They installed it for $15. So far, so good.
Old 11-16-14, 08:06 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
I know. It's one of the reasons I'd prefer not to replace the sensors if I don't have to. I buy my tires from Tire Rack and prefer to have the local Lexus dealer install them. But even with a great price for the sensors from Sewell, the additional dealer cost to mount the sensors and to reprogram them adds up (especially when they are not making a profit on the tires or the sensors).
UPDATE: I decided to replace the 5 sensors on my 07 and phoned the parts mgr at my local dealer (Prestige Lexus, Ramsey NJ) to ask if they could match Sewell's price on the sensors. Had a nice conversation. He said they would match the price but he suggested I not replace the sensors since he sees very few sensors failing even on the older Rx's. And when they do it is often because they were damaged during tire changes,

I also did some research and learned that some senor types go into a sleep mode when not being used and so those on my 8 year old RX with only 45K miles might be in better shape than sensors driven further. Also, garaging the car out of the summer heat should also prolong the life of the sensor batteries. My big question, if any knows the answer, is whether the 07 Lexus sensors do go into a sleep mode when not in use?

Last edited by sderman; 11-16-14 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-16-14, 09:10 AM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"Sleep mode" does not make sense, unless they wake up quickly. If the sensor is not transmitting the system should alarm, my 04 Corvette did just that. The sensors on the Vette went at exactly 10 years old. My 05 Highlander is still going strong. If I had an 07, I'd gamble and not replace. These are not critical parts so I believe in pushing the replacement until I have to.
Old 02-06-15, 09:39 PM
simplezeal
Driver School Candidate

Just got 4 tires replaced at Costco for my 2007 RX 350. Funny thing happened on the way - tire pressure sensor light started blinking and after while stayed ON. I was thinking this must be flat tire, but when Costco guy ran diagnostics, he told me two sensors need replacement -- one died and other's bettery was discharged. $45 a piece for 2 sensors + $4 for 2 old sensors - some replacement parts they put when they reuse old sensors.

I was surprised since I got servicing done at Lexus just last week and nothing popped up there, but I trust Costco so may be it was ignorance / incompetence on Lexus mechanic.
Old 02-07-15, 07:19 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just purchased a new set of tires from Costco and had them replace all 4 sensor while they were there. I didn't want to take the chance of a sensor going bad and go back to get it replaced.
Extremely happy with they work they did, it included programming.
Old 02-07-15, 07:51 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The spare tire also has a sensor. At some point in the future it will need replacement as well.
Old 02-07-15, 08:39 AM
RX3302004
Pole Position

My 06 4Runner has had 2 sensors replaced so far. As noted above don't forget your spare. On that truck the warning light kept coming on, I'd check all 4 tires and they were fine. Drove me crazy until I realized that it was the spare that was low...
Old 02-08-15, 06:15 AM
ericg
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sderman
UPDATE: I decided to replace the 5 sensors on my 07 and phoned the parts mgr at my local dealer (Prestige Lexus, Ramsey NJ) to ask if they could match Sewell's price on the sensors. Had a nice conversation. He said they would match the price but he suggested I not replace the sensors since he sees very few sensors failing even on the older Rx's. And when they do it is often because they were damaged during tire changes,

I also did some research and learned that some senor types go into a sleep mode when not being used and so those on my 8 year old RX with only 45K miles might be in better shape than sensors driven further. Also, garaging the car out of the summer heat should also prolong the life of the sensor batteries. My big question, if any knows the answer, is whether the 07 Lexus sensors do go into a sleep mode when not in use?
I also had a conversation with the service rep at Prestige Lexus and he told me the same thing. I have a 2005 RX330 with the original sensors. I did some research and found this article that discusses the various factors that effect TPMS.
http://www.tirereview.com/changing-tpms-sensor-batteries/
Old 02-08-15, 05:14 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Model years 2004-2006 RX 330s do NOT have wheel mounted TPMS sensors. Instead, they use the ABS wheel speed sensors to determine if a tire is low on air. This method works, but it's not as accurate as dedicated wheel mounted sensors. Thus, for the 2007-2009 model years, Toyota (Lexus) switched to using wheel mounted sensors.

So for those with 2004-2006 RX330s, there is nothing to worry about as far as batteries dying and affecting TPMS. Also, with 2004-2006 model years, you can switch to whatever wheels you want without affecting TPMS, as there are no sensors to register to begin with.

EDIT: If I had an 07 RX350, I wouldn't worry about replacing TPMS sensors until you have problems with them. That being said, when 1 dies, you may want to replace all 5. The downside to waiting until they die is that to replace the sensors, you have to dismount the tire, replace the sensor, remount the tire, and rebalance. Thus, you may have to pay a little to get that done, but I wouldn't think that you would be charged much or any at all for install if you get the sensors installed at the same place you buy them at. It may be a good idea to call your tire shop and ask how much they would charge to install new TPMS sensors if you bought new sensors from them. That way you know exactly what it will cost if you wait and they do go bad, pending they do go bad sometime soon.

Last edited by neelnaik; 02-08-15 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 06:32 PM
nikolai00
Driver School Candidate

I have about 125,000 miles on an 07 RX 350 AWD. One sensor quit about 3 years ago at around 90-100K.

A few weeks ago the pressure light came on when it was really cold... turned out to be the spare was low on air. Another week or so after that, the light came on again...checked all pressures and everything is good.

In short, another sensor ended up quitting, but I'm not sure which one....Is there a way to pinpoint which sensor is bad? Or just leave it up to the shop to figure it out?
Old 02-09-15, 04:41 AM
ericg
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neelnaik
Model years 2004-2006 RX 330s do NOT have wheel mounted TPMS sensors. Instead, they use the ABS wheel speed sensors to determine if a tire is low on air. This method works, but it's not as accurate as dedicated wheel mounted sensors. Thus, for the 2007-2009 model years, Toyota (Lexus) switched to using wheel mounted sensors.

So for those with 2004-2006 RX330s, there is nothing to worry about as far as batteries dying and affecting TPMS. Also, with 2004-2006 model years, you can switch to whatever wheels you want without affecting TPMS, as there are no sensors to register to begin with.

EDIT: If I had an 07 RX350, I wouldn't worry about replacing TPMS sensors until you have problems with them. That being said, when 1 dies, you may want to replace all 5. The downside to waiting until they die is that to replace the sensors, you have to dismount the tire, replace the sensor, remount the tire, and rebalance. Thus, you may have to pay a little to get that done, but I wouldn't think that you would be charged much or any at all for install if you get the sensors installed at the same place you buy them at. It may be a good idea to call your tire shop and ask how much they would charge to install new TPMS sensors if you bought new sensors from them. That way you know exactly what it will cost if you wait and they do go bad, pending they do go bad sometime soon.
Neelnaik, thank you for clearing this up. I guess I misunderstood the service rep when he explained the TPMS on my 2005. It is people like you and a forum like this where people can go to get the most accurate information.
Old 02-09-15, 09:21 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

@nikolai00,
There isn't really a good way to determine which sensor is bad yourself. You need to have a TPMS tool. You could also probably use TIS Techstream, but I don't remember for sure. Your local tire shop will have a TPMS tool. Using that, they will be able to check each sensor and see if they are responding, and also be able to see what pressure they are reporting. Sometimes (rarely) TPMS sensors lose calibration, but depending on the specific sensor, they may or may not be able to recalibrate it, thus requiring a new one.

@ericg,
No problem! I find that owners tend to know more about the nuances of particular vehicles than service reps do, as service reps see so many different make/model/year vehicles every day. And that's exactly why sites like Club Lexus exist.
Old 02-10-15, 05:48 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
The spare tire also has a sensor. At some point in the future it will need replacement as well.
Are you serious? I didn't know that. Had I known I would have asked to replace the spare tire sensor as well.
Old 02-10-15, 07:39 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Our 2007 RX350 has two sensors that have died in the past 3 months, should have replaced them all when I put on new tires last year. BTW, Rockauto.com now sells the OEM Denso sensors for about $35 each. Best deal I have found so far for the OEM sensors.
Old 02-10-15, 11:02 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nwfsnake
Our 2007 RX350 has two sensors that have died in the past 3 months, should have replaced them all when I put on new tires last year. BTW, Rockauto.com now sells the OEM Denso sensors for about $35 each. Best deal I have found so far for the OEM sensors.
Thanks for the info - $35 is a steal !

Quick Reply: How Long Have Your Tire Pressure Sensors Lasted?