RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Replace your rear knuckle bushings with NEW OEM Bushings/Spherical Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 05:29 PM
Conceptvip
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace your rear knuckle bushings with NEW OEM Bushings/Spherical Bearings

I have had many customers that have come to me with a clunk from the rear suspension and usually the main cause is the bushings in the rear knuckle develop play and clunk over bumps.

The easiest way to diagnosis if these bushings are bad is to have the car on the ground and push the top of the rear tire and rock the car pretty aggressively. If they are bad you will feel a abnormal clunk in the tire and most likely hear clunking. If you feel any thing abnormal, have someone rock the car and take a look at all 4 bushings to determine which one has play. There should be zero play in all the joints.

I recently found after doing much research these bushings are available separate but do not show in the parts catalogs. Also did not find much of anything online that's why I'm sharing. So before you would have to replace the whole knuckle for the cost of $400est for the part and possibly destroying the wheel bearing and needing a alignment.

The OEM part number for these bushings are 42210-20010 and around $35each and can be ordered through Toyota or Lexus dealerships. They appear to have been redesigned slightly with out the knurl on the edges but they measure the exact same and have the same part numbers on the bushing.

Last edited by Conceptvip; 10-16-14 at 06:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
anthonyini (03-11-18)
Old 10-16-14, 06:20 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is good information. Is this considered the lower control arm bushing? Also, how long does it take you to replace this? Just trying to get an idea of how much this is going to cost me.. Thanks!
Old 10-16-14, 06:48 PM
Conceptvip
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSBen
This is good information. Is this considered the lower control arm bushing? Also, how long does it take you to replace this? Just trying to get an idea of how much this is going to cost me.. Thanks!
I do not think this is considered the lower control arm bushing, that is most commonly known to be in the front lower control arm. These are pressed into the rear knuckle assembly that holds the wheel bearing.
Old 05-25-15, 02:23 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good information!
I will give a try with these bushings.
I have strange clunk in rear and I have replace already stabilizer bar links and bushings. I have driven with empty the rear underfloor cargo compartment and with opened rear hatch.
Visually all seems to be good and I can't feel any free play anywhere but noise comes somewhere
Old 05-25-15, 07:28 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are these also known as rear carrier bushings? Do you have exact measurements of the bushings?
Old 05-26-15, 08:04 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you remove the bushing from the housing?. What tool did you use?.

I'd love to replace those bushings but it would be nice to know that tool to use to remove the bushing from the rear knuckle.

Last edited by robbyk; 05-26-15 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-26-15, 08:48 AM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Originally Posted by robbyk
How do you remove the bushing from the housing?. What tool did you use?.

I'd love to replace those bushings but it would be nice to know that tool to use to remove the bushing from the rear knuckle.
A c-clamp and a large enough socket would work. Or, you could buy a bushing removal kit.
Old 05-27-15, 09:03 AM
coluccim
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just ordered a few of these.

Any installation/removal tips and tools used would be appreciated.
Old 05-27-15, 12:56 PM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Conceptvip

The easiest way to diagnosis if these bushings are bad is to have the car on the ground and push the top of the rear tire and rock the car pretty aggressively. If they are bad you will feel a abnormal clunk in the tire and most likely hear clunking. If you feel any thing abnormal, have someone rock the car and take a look at all 4 bushings to determine which one has play. There should be zero play in all the joints.

The OEM part number for these bushings are 42210-20010 and around $35each and can be ordered through Toyota or Lexus dealerships. They appear to have been redesigned slightly with out the knurl on the edges but they measure the exact same and have the same part numbers on the bushing.
Just like coluccim said,

I just ordered couple of these bushings, any installation/removal tips and tools would be appreciated.
Old 05-27-15, 01:42 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Originally Posted by robbyk
Just like coluccim said,

I just ordered couple of these bushings, any installation/removal tips and tools would be appreciated.
When you get them , would it be possible for you to caliper the dimensions?
Old 05-29-15, 04:14 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LazarusLng
I also ordered two of these(16,64 Eur/18,15 Usd each + shipping + customs). It will take 3 weeks to get them. I though to use universal retracting tool to push the bushing if there is space enough. It's possible that the surface around there bushing is not flat enough for universal tool.
Otherwise my plan is to use some penetrating oil, nice size socket and a hammer.
Old 06-23-15, 07:24 AM
rns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LazarusLng
Here are some dimensions but I could recommend to go with Oem ones.

Originally Posted by rns
I also ordered two of these(16,64 Eur/18,15 Usd each + shipping + customs). It will take 3 weeks to get them. I though to use universal retracting tool to push the bushing if there is space enough. It's possible that the surface around there bushing is not flat enough for universal tool.
Otherwise my plan is to use some penetrating oil, nice size socket and a hammer.
I got these today and will try to install when having time. Hopefully the noise have come from one of these.

Last edited by rns; 06-23-15 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-30-15, 08:31 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rns
Here are some dimensions but I could recommend to go with Oem ones.

I got these today and will try to install when having time. Hopefully the noise have come from one of these.
That is awesome. Thanks for posting those photos!
Old 09-01-15, 01:51 PM
GoodAndYou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey RNS, did you ever replace these bushings? Did it get rid of your clunking noise? I am having a similar issue with my RX and would appreciate the feedback.
Old 09-01-15, 02:07 PM
Genco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Great solution for bushing on knuckle!

Followed the advice above and had my independent mechanic replace the knuckle bushing of 2009 Lexus RX350 with the Toyota part described. He was reluctant but I insisted and so far it seems to have worked. Fortunately, he had a bushing removal tool. Takes care of the "golf ***** rolling around in the trunk" noise. Problem easily identified once on a hoist. Small thing - Toyota charges almost twice as much for the part in Canada but $77 and 1 hour labor is better than a Lexus bill for $1200 or more plus taxes.

Last edited by Genco; 09-01-15 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Replace your rear knuckle bushings with NEW OEM Bushings/Spherical Bearings