RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Fall 2014 Best tire update (please participate)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-14, 07:02 PM
Texas707
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fall 2014 Best tire update (please participate)

Hi Guys,

I know this topic has been discussed several times; however, I think we need to be updated about the most new tires that have been tested. Also to know about your experience on your recent tires after using them for while (your feedback is it the same since the time that was new?)

Myself, I bought the car 2 years ago. It has the Hankook Ventus on it from the previous owner (18 inch). At that time the ride was smooth and comfort (except road noise). last winter ( I was in MN and we had very awful winter ) my car became stiff like hell and bumpy! Someone told me I will need tires soon! ( it has only 25K mils on them)

Please guys we need your feedback about your experience with your tires? how long do you have them? what is your assessment for their performance (comfort/quietness) (wear) is it the same since it was new? almost how many mile do you have on them?

I moved to Texas and now I am thinking of on of those tires in particular ( my concern is the most quiet smooth tires):

-Bridgestone Ecopia

- Michelin Latitude

- Pirelli Scorpion Verde

I appreciate your participation!
Old 10-09-14, 08:02 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas707
Hi Guys,

I know this topic has been discussed several times; however, I think we need to be updated about the most new tires that have been tested. Also to know about your experience on your recent tires after using them for while (your feedback is it the same since the time that was new?)

Myself, I bought the car 2 years ago. It has the Hankook Ventus on it from the previous owner (18 inch). At that time the ride was smooth and comfort (except road noise). last winter ( I was in MN and we had very awful winter ) my car became stiff like hell and bumpy! Someone told me I will need tires soon! ( it has only 25K mils on them)

Please guys we need your feedback about your experience with your tires? how long do you have them? what is your assessment for their performance (comfort/quietness) (wear) is it the same since it was new? almost how many mile do you have on them?

I moved to Texas and now I am thinking of on of those tires in particular ( my concern is the most quiet smooth tires):

-Bridgestone Ecopia

- Michelin Latitude

- Pirelli Scorpion Verde

I appreciate your participation!
You picked three good tires.
I was tired (pun?) of Michelins - did not particularly like the OEM "Energy" ones and one of them developed a fault (pulled and out of round) so I decided to try another brand. I chose the Ecopias (Dueler 422) as a good combination of price, reasonably low/unagressive profile (no snow or cold weather in Miami) and various ratings. I found the ratings at tirerack to be in line iwth my observations: a very smooth, comfortable tire, excellent grip in both wet and dry conditions, but the obverse of the coin is a lack of road feel (-- what? You want comfort and road feel both???):-) . But I got used to the lesser road feel, though I cannot tell how close the tires are to their limit. They track amazingly well. I now have 4000 miles+ on them and it took them up to 1500 miles to show their (good) character. Before that they were louder and less fuel-efficient. All in all, it was a good choice and I'm happy with them. My priorities were comfort and quiet: I drive to Canada every year, and the long trip is a lot easier when the tires are quiet and the ride is smooth.
Old 10-09-14, 08:42 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I too just bought the Ecopia's to replace the Parada X. The Parada lasted exactly 40k....Very efficient tire, quiet and one of the best road feel tires I have owned. The Ecopia's only have about 1700 miles on them now and they are quiet, little less road feel, but appear to be a great tire. Time will tell.
Old 10-10-14, 07:37 AM
gasconguy
Driver

I think you get what you pay for very often with tires. In my previous vehicle I loved the Cooper CS4 Touring. They were quiet and responsive. Recently, for my RX, I looked at Consumer Reports' ratings, and the Michelin MXV tires were rated highest. I called to order some, but they are discontinuing them. They are being replaced with the Premier, so I ordered those. So far, I love them - very quiet, excellent handling, and they are a revolutionary design - go read about them. Anyway, tires can be subjective, so good luck to you.
Old 10-10-14, 09:34 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the Pirelli Scorpions and like them but they have been a little too hard as of late (We have put 30k miles on them).

Our next tire will be either

- Ecopias
- Continental Pure Contact
Old 10-10-14, 11:38 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
I too just bought the Ecopia's to replace the Parada X. The Parada lasted exactly 40k....Very efficient tire, quiet and one of the best road feel tires I have owned.
We just put a set of Parada Spec-X's on our RX 400h. So far so good but it's still very early on. Not sure if road feel and handling are any better with these but it's tricky to assess this for the RX 400h considering that our other two vehicles are sports cars with orders of magnitude better handling and feel so the RX seems numb and floaty no matter what tires are on it.

Originally Posted by gasconguy
Recently, for my RX, I looked at Consumer Reports' ratings, and the Michelin MXV tires were rated highest.
We had the MXV4's and they were just ok IMO. Had a bit of trouble getting them balanced. They only made about 20K. I usually like Michelins but found the MXV4's disappointing.

As usual I'm not sure my preferences are in line with Consumer Reports and agree more with Tire Rack's ratings.

Last edited by takeshi74; 10-10-14 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-10-14, 12:57 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

2004 RX330 with 18" tires and 190K
-Two sets of Michelin MXV
-Two sets of Bridgestone H/L Alenza
-One set of Goodyear Assurance Comfortred
-One set (current) of Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia

Michelin's rode very nice, but treadwear was very disappointing. Thinking it would get better, tried the Alenza and as with the MXV, I was disappointed with the treadwear. The difference with this tire was, as the tires wore, the noise was much more noticeable.

Moved onto the Goodyear and got about 40K out of it and was happy with them, although, treadwear was still disappointing. We will see how the Ecopia wears .... they have 20K on them right now and they are down to 6/32, so my guess is, we get the "usual" 35-40K out of them. As they have worn, they have been very quiet, which is a plus.

Will probably try the new Michelin Premier next.

Last edited by cdnewton; 10-10-14 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-10-14, 01:51 PM
gasconguy
Driver

These Premiers are soft but as they are a 60K tire, I expect 40K out of them. Which is cool with me. I like everything about them so far, quiet and grippy... been driving in lots of rain lately and they are sticky even in big puddles; been trying to go as fast as I can through water and they grab hard but never pull.
Old 10-11-14, 08:24 AM
RX3302004
Pole Position

I have the Latitude on another vehicle and like them. I've had great luck with Michelin and Goodyear, had Bridgestones on 2 vehicles and neither lasted long enough to use them again.
Old 10-13-14, 05:09 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

just picked up a set of bridgestone ecopias for the 07. they make the car feel brand new.
Old 10-13-14, 06:31 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I am using the Latitude Tour now. They are very quite are wearing well. I expect to get 50k miles out of them. MPG may be down 1 as these are more of a SUV tire than the Energy S8. Because they are for an SUV they are great in the snow and rain.

When I was using the Energy S8 we were wearing the edges off the tire very fast. The latitude tours are wearing evenly. We are going to Tahoe this winter and prior to that I will replace my tires with another set of Latitude Tours. And the Tours are a few $$ cheaper than the other Michelins .
Old 10-17-14, 07:24 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the summers I have Goodyear Fortera and winters I have Bridgestone Blizzaks. I have about 60K kms on Fortera and they are still have almost the original grove depth as when they were new. Admittedly they are a little nosier than stock Michelins
Old 10-20-14, 02:41 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put some Yokohama Yk 580 tires on, earlier this year, quietest tires ever! I have had Michelin, Goodyear, Toyo, and one other higher end name, that I can't remember. Those other fail in comparison to the Yokohama on the Rx330. Smoother, better handling and quieter, and cheaper than most others.
Old 10-21-14, 10:21 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LophatRX
I have had Michelin, Goodyear, Toyo, and one other higher end name, that I can't remember.
Which specific tires though? Each company makes several tires that would fit an RX and the tires aren't all identical from each company.
Old 10-22-14, 10:06 AM
Raddy
Rookie

Might also be good to include where you bought and for how much?

Quick Reply: Fall 2014 Best tire update (please participate)