RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus RX330 (2nd Gen) How to paint Headlight housing

Old 10-04-14, 03:34 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lexus RX330 (2nd Gen) How to paint Headlight housing

So finally got the nerve to get this done. The wife is away with the kids and I am home alone, so no better time. No distractions and I can just get on with it. Now before I begin, let me tell you I was hell nervous and scared that I would mess something up and cost me a fortune in (1) replacing the headlights and (2) having my car out of action until new headlights arrived.

After months of watching some videos, reading various threads, and designing what I wanted (rather than copy everyone else's schemes) I got down to it today.

Getting the disclaimer out of the way ==> If you follow this guide you do so at your own risk. I cannot be held responsible for anything you break, damage, set alight, destroy etc. etc. to your car, your own well being and other things that you may have around you. You do this at your own risk. This is a guide and worked for me and me alone and may not work for you.

Now that that's out of the way, let's begin.

Removing the Front Bumper - You need to do this but only partially

First undo the bolts underneath the front bumper

In each wheel well, undo 1 bolt and 1 plastic clip just above the wheel

In each wheel well, under these 2 plastic clips in front of the wheel

On the very corner of the bumper and underneath on both sides (in front of the wheel), remove this bolt

There is 1 screw on each side where the bumper meets the front fender panel - unscrew this. Also remove the 3 plastic clips holding the bumper in place. Move the bumper out to the front - just a gentle tug / push will move it forward. There is no need to remove the whole bumper.

Removing the headlight

Unscrew 3 bolts, 2 that you can see up the top and one that gets exposed once the bumper has been moved out of the way. Carefully move the headlight out and disconnecct all the cables connectors.

Opening the Housing

This took me far longer that I expected on the first headlight. Of course this was because I was going off an idea I had read / seen and was the first time I did this. The second headlight I got done in about 15 minutes. The first one took me a couple of goes and that stretched into almost 1 - 1.5 hours till I figured out the method.

I opted to not use the oven and go with a heat gun. The heatgun gives me more control and I can heat the areas that I want to heat and nothing else. I did not remove any globes, caps and left them in situ. One other thing to note is don't touch anything that looks like a gear as it will mess up your levelling (for those with AFS & projectors). Also before you heat the glue remove 3 small silver screws on the back of the headlight otherwise you will never get it off.

I found it easier to pry from the smallest corner and peel out. Just make sure that any tags / plastic hooks etc are moved out of the way or lifted to get the glass tabs out.

Seperated headlights

Put the main headlight unit somewhere safe where these isn't any dust etc.

The housing is attached to the lense itself. Here is a picture of them in the lense.

It is only held in place by 2 screws. Unscrew these and wiggle the housing out.

Housing removed from lense

Taping up my design. You will notice that I taped up the forward facing chrome part at the very bottom of the headlight, also the indicator lense, and the forward facing part that goes around the projector. Also on the side I taped up the reflector strip.

Prepping headlights before spray - used a 120 grit. Remember to sand anything that is chrome so your paint can stick.

Paint Time - I used a flat black heat resistant paint and shot it with about 2 coats.

All Finished.

My accenting design. You will notice I made a slight boo-boo with the headlight at the back as some paint got between my taping (probably because of the sanding and me missing it). Oh well.

Installing headlights and putting bumper back - man I wish I could buy replacement lenses.

All installed and put back together again

The following users liked this post:
joedaddy1 (10-07-22)
Old 10-04-14, 03:38 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

I will likely go through tomorrow and put some additional polyurethane silicon above the headlight to ensure consistent seal. Not convinced that the glue is in all the right places to do a full seal and I don't want condensation.
Old 10-04-14, 04:34 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, well done Draco. You are hereby promoted to a capital letter on your display name!
Old 10-04-14, 04:56 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Carver.
Old 10-04-14, 06:37 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Very nice work. Any thoughts on sanding the lenses and clear-coating them while off the car to freshen them up?
Old 10-04-14, 07:34 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

They are on the car now, so unfortunately no. Might just try and do the toothpaste trick and polish them out.
Old 10-04-14, 09:49 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a good experience using wet sand paper (1000-1500 then 2000) to get rid of the heavy oxidation.

followed by hand polish / buffing. an electric buffer probably would have yielded a better result.

the results have lasted too. time and money well spent.
Old 10-07-14, 07:13 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Just did the toothpaste trick and they look better now. I will need to have a look at the sanding option for later down the track.
Old 10-07-14, 11:25 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
Just did the toothpaste trick and they look better now. I will need to have a look at the sanding option for later down the track.
The problem is this method along with other commercial liquids are only a short-term fix. For a long-term solution, you need to apply some sort of Opti-coat, clear coat, or another sealant.
Old 10-08-14, 07:08 AM
gundy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

draco--surprised your headlight housings are so foggy. It's an easy fix that I have done several times. I just posted this on another thread. I use Kit brand Scratch Out! and it works great (better than toothpaste). This is available at many different stores for about $5 and not just auto stores (I got mine at Krogers of all places). Anyway, just shake it up, squirt some on a soft dry cloth (e.g., microfiber) and apply in a circular motion using heavy pressure to your housing. Then let it dry (about 10 mins) and buff off with another soft dry cloth. It may take more than one application depending on how bad the housing is but when finished, it should look like new. Good luck!

As a side note, this stuff also works great on CD, DVD and video game disc scratches (best when used with a buffer).
Old 11-14-14, 03:23 PM
es808
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job draco and great DIY write up!

I've done this on my IS (and love it) but I'm not convinced about doing this to the RX. For some reason when the headlight is blacked out, then it loses something. Not being able to see the curves inside takes away from the appearance.
Old 11-14-14, 06:53 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by es808
Good job draco and great DIY write up!

I've done this on my IS (and love it) but I'm not convinced about doing this to the RX. For some reason when the headlight is blacked out, then it loses something. Not being able to see the curves inside takes away from the appearance.
Thanks es808. Agreed it does lose something. I believe that something is the same look of all other RX's
Old 11-15-14, 09:29 PM
lexusAU
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb RX 350 Blackout Mod Progress so far

Originally Posted by draco
Thanks es808. Agreed it does lose something. I believe that something is the same look of all other RX's
I Agree! Blend Out from the crowd! the insides are still visible, just harder to see in photos,

Here is what I did today: (there is white Paper backing behind the reflectors to make them stand out, read further down)

Draco, you inspired me to do this mod, i live in Australia also,
i decided to keep the thick circular projector surrounding chrome, (custom design )
i bought a set of headlights (AU Spec) on eBay from an 05 330 model i believe, (i have an 08 RX 350)
i think it Looks SO MUCH better Blacked out, the Newer Lexus Headlights are painted black too.

So today i opened up one of them and Plastidiped the chrome Black, while leaving the projector piece Chrome, i think it looks awesome!, i also added white paper behind the reflector, (The Range Rover Sport has a nice white reflector on the side (the new models) which is where i got the inspiration for the reflector.

I am also going to get the lenses polished/restored and might even get the Black inside painted High-Gloss Piano Black for around $250 (both sides done) - although i have plastidip which costs me nothing,

More Photos:
Painted With Plasti-Dip (Leaving Chrome surrounding of Projector stock)
Adding Reflector, with White Backing looks better,
Outside Photo, Direct Sun, the lens need a Polish
another Angle
My RX 350 headlights currently ON the car have nice clean lenses, unlike these used ones
Facing Away From Sun/ in shade - they look great IMO
Inside the AFS Headlights

Here is how i made the Clear Reflectors look better : (AU Spec models with Clear)
White Backing on Clear Lens - Australian Spec Models have Clear instead of ORANGE
( the paper backing makes them Pop), they Looks Refreshed compared to the greenish UV look from before,

I will post more photos in the future, i am taking things slow, took me about 25 mins to open the headlight,
and its my first time doing it, i was lucky to get a set of spare AFS headlights on Ebay for a good price, so i can take things slow,

Last edited by lexusAU; 11-15-14 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added more Photos
Old 11-15-14, 11:16 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

LexusAU glad I could inspire you somewhat to get the mod done. Custom designs are fun, similar project slightly different look. What I did for my reflector on the side was I just taped up the chrome where the reflector would sit and painted the rest (except for my little highlights). This way I can still use the chrome underneath for the reflector. Similar result different method. Looks good and well done
Old 11-15-14, 11:17 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

By the way what colour is your RX?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus RX330 (2nd Gen) How to paint Headlight housing