RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Shifter skips "D"...trans won't shift to 5th

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 10:32 PM
PTCS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter skips "D"...trans won't shift to 5th

'04 RX330 AWD 116k...Recently noticed the shifter is no longer going into drive. When placed in the "D" position (on the right hand side of the "4-D" slot), the dash indicator reads "4". I have verified the trans is only shifting as far as 4th (70mph=3000rpm w/stock tires). ECT/Snow is not turned on. My wife drives the car mostly, so I have no idea how long this has been going on. No matter what search terms I use, I can not find any useful info or similar symptoms.

Does anybody have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? TIA

To clarify, the problem is not physical/mechanical as far as the shifter itself...the shifter will drop to the correct "D" position, but the car says, thinks, and acts like its in "4".
Old 09-10-14, 11:24 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What does it do when you push it to the 4 side?
Old 09-11-14, 07:31 AM
PTCS
Driver School Candidate

When the shifter is in the 4 position, the car works as it should (4th gear max and properly indicated in dash). When cruising at 60 give or take, I can move the shifter back and forth in the 4-D slot with no changes/effect whatsoever.

Your question did make me realize that I had not checked the operation of each lower gear position, so I just did so. Shifter positions 4, 3, N, R, P all work as they should. Both of the 2 position slots "4-D" and "2-L" do not work properly. They both put the trans in the lower gear option of their respective slot...in other words either side of the "4-D" slot act as though it's in "4", and either side of the "2-L" slot act as though its in "L".

With this information, I'm guessing there is an electrical switch in the shifter itself that is not functioning properly?
Old 09-11-14, 08:08 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

From the RX350 service manual. I most likely would apply to the 330 as well.
Attached Thumbnails Shifter skips "D"...trans won't shift to 5th-transaxle.jpg  
Old 09-11-14, 08:13 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Diagnostic Trouble Code P0766:

P0766 Shift Solenoid "D" Performance Or Stuck Off
Old 09-11-14, 10:02 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Here's hoping for the solenoid!
Old 09-11-14, 10:35 AM
PTCS
Driver School Candidate

Can you have a Diagnostic Trouble Code without having received a warning light (check engine or whatever)? I don't have a reader and have not seen any service lights.

Also, could any of those possible problems listed above also cause the "2-L" to not work properly? (I can't force the car to max out in 2nd gear...only first or third). 2nd does work fine as the trans is going through the gears during acceleration.

I appreciate everyone's help. I am leaving town for a few weeks and since it's not looking like a quick fix, I am going to have to postpone working on it till I get back.
Old 09-11-14, 07:23 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

See if this applies to you, members with ES300/ES330 have had similar issues:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ue-my-fix.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...d-d-drive.html
Old 09-11-14, 09:46 PM
PTCS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
See if this applies to you, members with ES300/ES330 have had similar issues:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ue-my-fix.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...d-d-drive.html

That looks very promising and I'd bet good money it's my problem. Unfortunately however, I will not be able to look into it for a few weeks. I'll post back with my findings. Thank you.
Old 09-26-14, 11:04 AM
PTCS
Driver School Candidate

Follow up....Well as expected, my problem was with the same switch or "switch lever" as the posted suggestions. The design of my shifter is different than EvilNCarna had in his ES300 though.

After exposing the shifter (thank you CL member mctufts.. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ifter-diy.html ) I was inspecting the shifter and pressed on a white piece of plastic just inside the slot circled in red. The plastic moved some and the shifter started working correctly. It sounded like something may have fallen when I pressed on the white plastic lever, but I can not find any broken pieces or debris. At this point I can not get the shifter to act up again. I am reluctant to consider it "fixed" though, and may drive it for a while before putting the glove box and stuff back in.

If it does act up again, my options will be to disassemble and fix, or simply replace the shifter. I also may consider bypassing this switch altogether by hardwiring it to the drive position (how often do you ever need to prevent the car from shifting to 5th or 2nd anyway?)...It's not like I drive down Pikes Peak every morning. That would be kind of a "hack job" though. Hopefully it just keeps working.

Thank you to all who offered help.
Attached Thumbnails Shifter skips "D"...trans won't shift to 5th-img_1954.jpg   Shifter skips "D"...trans won't shift to 5th-img_1955.jpg  
Old 09-26-14, 03:28 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Thanks for posting an update!
Old 09-30-14, 09:01 PM
PTCS
Driver School Candidate

Update #2

I decided to put the dash back together, and solved the mystery...found a loose bolt inside the shifter. It must have gone in through the small opening at the bottom of the shift slot. It matched the bolts that hold the stereo in. I've had the radio out a few times because of the piece of crap factory ML CD changer, but I don't remember ever loosing a bolt. The radio was worked on/replaced under warranty before I bought the car.

The other good news is that I was able to determine which of my HVAC solenoids is going bad (clicking). And, I was able to find/fix a rattle that has been annoying the H@!! out of me for years...a loose wire harness above/behind the glove box.

Now, if only the HVAC solenoid wasn't a $140 repair! (through Sewell w/CL discount)