RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

CD Player Error 4

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 11:03 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CD Player Error 4

Has anyone had the Error 4 message from the CD player. I just had it today and my CDs won't play and I can't eject them. I have the Mark Levinson. Is it an easy fix?
Old 08-08-14, 02:16 AM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had error 4 and the same symptoms. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes cleared the error.

That is what this place recommends as a reset.

http://carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm
Old 08-08-14, 03:32 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

I unplugged the battery and that didn't work so I started to take the stereo out of the dash to take it apart. Before I unplugged the harnesses from the back, I noticed the label that tells you how to put the stereo in "shipping mode". With the car off, hold down "seek up" and "disc" at the same time. Continue to hold the buttons and turn the car to "ACC" mode. This immediately ejected the CDs and the word " SHIP" displayed on the screen. I pressed "LOAD" and that took it out of shipping mode and everything is working like normal.
The following 7 users liked this post by jakenbake:
Audiqv8 (12-21-18), Lexus05RX (12-27-23), LimeTheRX (11-05-21), SJM (11-28-21), Stan2023 (11-19-23), Strlsn (11-03-23), wcl77 (01-07-18) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-14, 09:09 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Congrats on getting it fixed. Thanks for the follow up and info on the shipping mode fix.
The following users liked this post:
Stan2023 (11-15-23)
Old 08-11-14, 02:29 PM
gundy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Jake, that's some interesting info. Wish I would have known that a couple of weeks ago when I was getting the THIRD stereo put in my 2005 RX330. It had the "error 4" message when I bought it (from a Caddy dealer) so I had them pay to get it fixed which they did through the local Lexus dealer. However, the Lexus dealer just ordered a new one and replaced it. Unfortunately, that replacement ALSO produced the "error 4" message after pushing a few CD buttons (e.g., load, track, eject...) so the Lexus dealer ordered ANOTHER stereo and put it in. A major hassle on my part. I'm betting the "shipping mode" was still on for the one they initially put in. My current/third stereo also showed "error 4", but only one time. I found out in the previous cases that turning off the car, then restarting resulted in the stereo starting up with the last button pushed when "error 4" showed up. So I am knocking on wood every time I start up now...I'll try your solution if it happens again. What REALLY bothers me now, if in fact the "shipping mode" was the issue, is that the Lexus dealer didn't know about it...

Last edited by gundy; 09-15-14 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-11-14, 03:46 PM
Rainbird

Originally Posted by jakenbake
I unplugged the battery and that didn't work so I started to take the stereo out of the dash to take it apart. Before I unplugged the harnesses from the back, I noticed the label that tells you how to put the stereo in "shipping mode". With the car off, hold down "seek up" and "disc" at the same time. Continue to hold the buttons and turn the car to "ACC" mode. This immediately ejected the CDs and the word " SHIP" displayed on the screen. I pressed "LOAD" and that took it out of shipping mode and everything is working like normal.
Awesome! You may have solved the dreaded "Error 4" problem that has plagued numerous members here. Hopefully this will work for others as well. If this turns out as a confirmed fix, the senior moderators should make it a forum sticky.

Last edited by Rainbird; 03-22-15 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-10-16, 08:42 AM
Bongos
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Confirmed!!! This worked in my 2007 RX350.. THANK YOU!!!
Old 04-10-16, 06:01 PM
bmillham
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Thank you for the SHIP mode tip. That seems to have fixed the problem on my 04 RX330. Now to burn a compilation CD BTW, does the standard system support MP3 on CD?
Old 04-11-16, 08:57 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Just so you know...This didn't fix the problem. My CDs still continued to get stuck. It just got them out for me so they weren't forever stuck.
The following users liked this post:
LimeTheRX (11-05-21)
Old 04-11-16, 02:14 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This was happening to me at least once a month in my 2005 non ML system. So I just decided it was time to get an aftermarket stereo, the install was amazingly simple for even a non electronics guy like myself lol. I bought all the equipment from crutch field for I think a good price
-Alpine blue tooth single din 139$
-wire and faceplate were 90
also added an old sub and amp that were collecting dust in the garage it sounds 100% better than stock.
Old 04-12-16, 06:23 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for this "trick", seems educative.
Old 07-23-17, 11:24 AM
ABOWDEN
Driver School Candidate

this worked, thank you very much. all the home burned cd's ejected & now the screen shows that I have a 6 cd player again. THANK YOU YHANK YOU
Old 09-07-17, 12:47 AM
Aleks6663
Driver School Candidate

I have Lexus RX 300 II. He works for him as well. Thank you so much!
Old 09-24-17, 01:23 PM
Tigger064
Driver School Candidate

I tried this and got to Shipping Mode. Then pressed LOAD. The system rejected my loading.
Old 09-24-17, 01:52 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Wish I had known this before removing my stereo head unit and dissassembling the entire CD changer unit to remove the stuck CDs

Quick Reply: CD Player Error 4