RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Got a long look at an RX330 tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-03, 06:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Got a long look at an RX330 tonight.

My local dealership (Hennessy Lexus) invited me to go see the RX330 there today. They only had one, slap bang in the middle of the showroom with no other cars around it. It was a darkish metallic blue color although the sales droid said it looks greenish when the vehicle is outside.

Initial impression: NICE looking from the outside. Details: Definitely more stylish than the RX300 but a nicely evolved look. The only 'thing' I didn't like from the outside was the distance control camera in the lower front fascia. It's in an area where a fog light might go on the passenger side and there's nothing but a 'hole' on the driver's side so I don't think that looked great, but not a disaster. On a much more positive note, I DIG the 18" rims! Look really good. The tires were Michelins (hallelujah, no more Goodyear disintegrators), not sure which type and didn't capture the size, sorry. I thought the wheel gap looked HUGE though. I guess it still has to be high like other SUVs.

Inside: Didn't feel much bigger at all than the RX300 my wife drives, and I was disappointed that the front seat didn't travel back far enough for me (6'3" with long legs). But my right knee wasn't uncomfortable against the center console like it is on the RX300. I didn't quite figure out how to move the new between seats console back and forth... I moved it back somehow but couldn't move it forward again. I LOVE the new one push open and one push close big storage bin in there though... nicer than the two drawers on the current one I think. Wood trim is GORGEOUS, but (and I know it's subjective) the painted metallic looking plastic trim doesn't do it for me. I like the fact that the steering wheel has audio and cruise controls on it. The cruise buttons were 'fake ones' for this prototype because it also had the laser distance control slightly behind the wheel. The nav looks great as are other controls. MUCH better layout than the RX300.

Hatch: COOL COOL COOL (did I say cool) - that's the new power rear lift gate. Open with the key, and close with the key I think or close by pressing a button on the under edge of the door (it beeps to let you know to get your dang arm out of the way!). Even opening and closing manually the effort required seemed MUCH less than the RX300 - very very nicely done. The cargo space inside seemed only slightly bigger than the RX300.

Overall: Great job, Lexus - I'm sure it will sell well. My only real beef is not enough front leg room.

That's about it for now... if you have questions, fire away, I'll see if I can remember.

Sorry if this is all old news, I don't frequent the RX board much.
Old 02-18-03, 06:59 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Got a long look at an RX330 tonight.

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Overall: Great job, Lexus - I'm sure it will sell well. My only real beef is not enough front leg room.
I'm jonesing til my dealer gets one.

Interesting take on the legroom. All the specs I've seen are showing an increase in legroom. Have you had a prob with the RX 300? I am aware of some comments regarding the deadpedal being too close on the RX 300.

Specs.
RX 330: 42.5 inches
RX 300: 40.7 inches
Old 02-18-03, 09:57 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the RX330 in person tonight at the Chicago Auto Show. They had a silver one on the turntable with the HID's and 18" wheels. It looked nice. The taillights looked cool when looking directly at the back end, however, when I look at the profile from the side, it's going to take me a while to get used to that sloping rear hatch (looked kinda Aztek-ie to me). One thing I'm am grateful for is that I was scared I'd hate my '02 RX after seeing the new one, however, I'm still very happy I have it.

By the way, I'm 6'4" and very comfortable in my RX. I don't even have the seat all the way back.
Old 02-19-03, 12:05 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I saw the RX330 at a preview in my dealership in Brooklyn. Overall its an improvement on the current one with a few new features, but the exterior styling (especially the front) leaves much to be desired. The interior is very nice but that aluminum look does not mesh too well with the wood, it looks cheap and out of place.

My parents' lease is coming to an end on their RX300 and they were not too impressed with the new version, but they put themselves on the waiting list anyway. Since they want to stay with lexus and the GX is too big for them, they have no choice but to get the RX. The good thing about being the first to get the new RX is that they will be built in Japan, not in Canada.
Old 02-19-03, 05:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by steevr
By the way, I'm 6'4" and very comfortable in my RX. I don't even have the seat all the way back.
Depends on torso/leg ratio.
Old 02-20-03, 08:22 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

You know I love the look of the new RX330 and thinking of getting one, but I keep getting this feeling that I need a more MANLY TRUCK. New GX470, 4Runner, X5 4.4.

Is anyone else feeling this way? The RX is sporty and very practical and most of your wives already drive it, but for a guy, we need a more aggressive MANLY truck!
Old 02-21-03, 05:53 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Talking

Originally posted by lexguynj
You know I love the look of the new RX330 and thinking of getting one, but I keep getting this feeling that I need a more MANLY TRUCK. New GX470, 4Runner, X5 4.4.
I'm the same way, but I wouldn't group the X5 in the "manly truck" category. Neighbor has one and it's nice, but it's not a manly truck.

The RX330 will be the wife's truck. I have a Dodge Durango to handle the manly duties.

John

Last edited by j4ydubs; 02-21-03 at 05:54 AM.