RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

That big gap on new RX330 grill looks bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-03, 10:03 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down That big gap on new RX330 grill looks bad

Just came back from the Chicago car show and saw the new RX330 there. One thing I and a number of spectators there noticed is a big gap (guessing 1.5" high) between the bottom of the grill and the top of the bumper that extends the entire length of the grill. Don't remember seeing this gap on current RX or other Lexus vehicles. I'm sure it is not a flaw but part of the design but sure seems totally out of place when the rest of the SUV shows such fine fit. The Lexus rep there said quite a few people noticed that gap and commented on it. Have you guys who saw this new RX330 noticed this gap?
Old 02-18-03, 10:21 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please keep in mind that auto show cars are prototype vehicles and sometimes do not reflect "fit & finish" 100%.....and if that is the ONLY issue the new RX330 has, I'm sure many people would be more than happy to live with it!

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 02-18-03 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-19-03, 10:17 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

It's my understanding the RX330 on tour right now at various shows and dealerships are NOT prototypes but rather "pre-production" models made from production tooling. There should not any distinct design changes between these show models and the final full production ones in April. That "gap" LexusPia saw is NOT a "fit & finish" flaw but part of the design. I agree that gap seems big and see no reason why it can't be smaller. It is very visible with a light color vehicle.

Lexus also says the roof rack will be standard on the new RX. I for one will be more concern with that than the gap since roof racks especially the cross-bars tend to generate a lot of wind noise while crusing at highway speed. I don't understand why Lexus would want to include the roof racks as standard when hardly anyone ever use them and besides they are a pain because they get in the way when washing and waxing the roof and not to mention potential for leaks. They are better off offering that as a separate option for people who really need them instead of jacking up the base price to include them as standard equipment.
Old 02-19-03, 10:24 AM
Lvangundy

It also has air suspension..so it might of been in 'high' mode..
Old 02-19-03, 06:07 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Red face

We already had our preview of the RX330 and when I asked about the car, a Lexus factory rep used the word "prototype". If you ask me, I wouldn't know the difference between "prototype" and "pre-production"!! (haha) All I know is the car didn't look quite "finished". He also said that a roof rack will not be on the car with the "large moonroof" as it does not fit. I am going to an off-road test drive on March 12th. I'll be able to take a closer look at the car then.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 02-19-03 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-19-03, 06:20 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Longo Lexus
Please keep in mind that auto show cars are prototype vehicles and sometimes do not reflect "fit & finish" 100%
At a car show, I can't imagine the manufacturer wanting to put anything but their best foot forward, not some less than perfect fit & finish vehicle. Wouldn't you think a "one off" would have a higher build quality than a machine-line produced vehicle? The term "built by hand" comes to mind. JMHO
Old 02-19-03, 06:58 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he's referring to this:
Attached Thumbnails That big gap on new RX330 grill looks bad-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 02-20-03, 06:18 AM
Goncookoo

The current RX has the same lower lip look too.

http://lexus.com/showroom/model/rx.html

Its not as prominent as the new RX330's because of the front bumper design and the cross bar that runs across the middle of the gap.

Currently, we stick our hands into that gap on the RX300 to pull the latch to open the hood. Maybe the designers left that gap there for the same purpose... to allow us to get to the latch for the hood??

Maybe there could have been a better design (like the bmw's who have a little inverted hook like latch that pops out of the kidney shaped grills).
Old 02-20-03, 06:29 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

I actually perfer the open gap styling on the RX330 to the style on the RX300. Seems smoother.

John
Old 02-20-03, 05:43 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Hey! There's 2 little gaps instead of 1 big gap. I never did notice that...not even on my '99 RX300. Now I definately cannot wait to get a closer look at it. Yes, you would think the auto show model should be completed. And funny thing is, the Lexus rep said it WAS hand built. Weird, huh?
Old 02-21-03, 06:10 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Daddy-O is right on with his picture arrow pointing to the exact "hole" or "gap" that I was referring to. [thanks Daddy-O].

Tell me guys, why would you need a large elongated "gap" or "opening" there for you to stick your fingers in when you have an inside hood release that pops the hood loose to begin with? Just seems to me it would look much better not to indent that top of the bumper and make it smooth like the rest of the bumper instead. On the current 300, the "opening" is much narrower and separated by the thin slat which makes it part of the grill. Even the Lexus rep there agreed that "finger opening" seemed excessive and probably not necessary.

YWW, thanks for pointing out about the luggage rack. I sure didn't know that was going to be standard. I for one have absolutely no use for one and besides my garage door opening may not be able to accommodate that extra height. My brother's mini-van with a roof rack can't clear my garage door opening and the only way he can get in is to lower the tire pressure on all 4 tires to about 12 pounds of air from the normal 32 psi. The rack is definitely out in my book and I guess we won't buy a new RX330 if the rack is indeed standard (yes, we'll put up with the large grill opening).
Old 02-21-03, 07:56 AM
anonymous
Pit Crew

I don't think the rack will be standard. I'm sure they know there's a lot of people who don't want it.
Old 02-21-03, 11:36 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Short Garages..

Wow.. your garages must be really short for a minivan or RX not to be able to fit.. That's just amazing to me.
Old 02-22-03, 07:57 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by LexusPia
Tell me guys, why would you need a large elongated "gap" or "opening" there for you to stick your fingers in when you have an inside hood release that pops the hood loose to begin with? Just seems to me it would look much better not to indent that top of the bumper and make it smooth like the rest of the bumper instead. On the current 300, the "opening" is much narrower and separated by the thin slat which makes it part of the grill. Even the Lexus rep there agreed that "finger opening" seemed excessive and probably not necessary.
Here's a quick photo shop job. Better? I still like the gap (I think it adds more style), but I can see where people might not like it. I haven't seen it live yet, so my opinion might change.

John
Attached Thumbnails That big gap on new RX330 grill looks bad-lexus-compare.jpg  

Last edited by j4ydubs; 02-22-03 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-23-03, 10:52 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Arrow

John thanks for your photos. I have to say after looking at "with gap" and "with no gap", I prefer the one without the "gap" much better. The "with no gap" design seems to be more "sporty and rugged" looking and resemble the GS a little. Let's see what others have to say.

Quick Reply: That big gap on new RX330 grill looks bad