RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Has anyone used/installed the Techna Fit brake lines on their 05 RX330?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-14, 12:22 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well good news and bad news. I took the day off and went to a different mechanic and told him my issues. He took it for a test drive and said it stops well etc...which it does as I have said before as well. So initially he didn't see anything wrong as the fluid was topped off and looked in good condition. However I came with the same Valvoline DOT 3,4 brake fluid I had brought to the last mechanic and this time I insisted on a full flush and refill due to the recommendations of a few of you on this thread. Might as well get one possible issue out of the equation in the hunt to fix my issue.

Well at first when he opened the valves on each wheel to drain the fluid, the passenger side came out clear and looked great. As he was about to tell me "see I told you so" the brake fluid on the drivers side came out blackish. So apparently one side had fresher looking fluid while the other side had some nasty blackish fluid. I have never seen this before on any of my cars when changing brake fluid. So longer story short the brakes feel much much better now. It now has the consistent feel any braking system should. I question whether that other mechanic looked over my car at all and probably just charged me and did nothing.

Bad news is I had him check the power steering too as I just didn't trust the other mechanics word after seeing the blackish mess coming out of my brakes. Sadly I have a steering rack leak at the boot and the high pressure hose is also leaking. I priced the parts online and I nearly fainted. The mechanic told me I could nurse the steering rack for a while with this condition if I keep an eye on it and keep topping it off from time to time.

Anyway I want to thank all of you for your suggestions. I saved some money on the braking system thanks to those suggestions and most likely that money will now have to be used for a new rack somewhere down the line. Troublesome turn of events but that is life isn't it.
Old 06-16-14, 04:18 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Glad to hear the brake issue was sorted out, but sorry to hear about the power steering. I think the steering unit has been a consistent weak point in this car, if I remember correctly, but drivers seem to keep trucking on for years without having to face the issue that it must be replaced.
Old 06-17-14, 02:17 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Yeah its a bummer indeed. Looks like I will be trucking on until it gives out. Not spending half the trucks worth to replace the rack etc....