RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Used 2007 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-14, 11:38 AM
7Holly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Used 2007 RX350

What originally came with this model, when new?

I am considering a used vehicle, 500 miles away, so I want to get all of my ducks in a row before going through with a long-distance (or local) purchase. Would anybody be able to tell me what originally came with the vehicle?
  • Master key x2?
  • Valet key?
  • Manual

Also, if anybody has any advice on how to handle examining the car on the ground as well as it's performance, I would be grateful. I am a novice, but I like to do my research. I am in the process of collating a checklist, attempting to have a stress-free and informed experience.

Thank you very much, in advance!
Old 05-24-14, 01:19 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Two Master Keys, Valet Key, Credit Card Emergency Key, Key Duplication Code Tag, Carpeted Floor Mats, Auto-Retracting Tonneau Cover, Operation Manual, Navigation Manual (if equipped), First Aid Kit, Tool Kit, If equipped with wheel lug locks you would need the lug key.
Old 05-24-14, 03:38 PM
7Holly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rainbird, thank you so much for your incredibly helpful list. I would never have pieced all of that together.

"Tonneau" - A new word for me. So, that's what that is called :-) I also did not know about the wheel lug locks.

Car 1
Car 2

I realize that these vehicles have 100k+ mileage on them but, nonetheless, do you think one of them would be a smart buy? I would anticipate this vehicle to be as reliable as my Toyota has been.
Old 05-24-14, 04:30 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rainbird
First Aid Kit
Interesting, where is it supposed to be?
Old 05-24-14, 04:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 7Holly
Rainbird, thank you so much for your incredibly helpful list. I would never have pieced all of that together.

"Tonneau" - A new word for me. So, that's what that is called :-) I also did not know about the wheel lug locks.

Car 1
Car 2

I realize that these vehicles have 100k+ mileage on them but, nonetheless, do you think one of them would be a smart buy? I would anticipate this vehicle to be as reliable as my Toyota has been.
Tonneau cover is another name for a cargo cover. Should look like this and match the interior color of the vehicle:

Wheel locks are just as described. One of the lug nuts on each wheel will look different and have a pattern on the face. You need a special tool to get it off properly and it is important you have this item. Would look like this, the tool is the one laying on its side second from left:

As with any used vehicle purchase, it is best to pay an independent mechanic a fee to inspect the vehicle thoroughly before signing any papers or committing to a price. Do not take the shop's word that the vehicle is in good working order.
Old 05-24-14, 04:47 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spacecraft
Interesting, where is it supposed to be?
In the US RX350 I have usually seen it in the hatch attached to the side, as shown here:

In my RX330 it was just loose, so I have kept in in the pocket of the driver side door since new.
Old 05-24-14, 06:43 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Also, if anybody has any advice on how to handle examining the car on the ground
If you're not sure with any vehicle then get it inspected. There are inspection services that you can use before going 500 miles to look at the vehicle yourself.
Old 05-25-14, 06:37 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

"Tonneau cover is another name for a cargo cover," says RX330 in Florida. Not really, say I.
In this instance, I think it's a misuse of the word. Originally, the tonneau cover was used to cover the seats in a roadster (eg: TR6 - MGB). It snapped in place horizontally at the level of the top of the doors, so it was faster than putting up the top, which in those days could be quite an operation. It protected the interior from rain and sun. They also had a zipper down the middle so that the passenger side could stay in place while the driver opened his half of the car, which was a pretty neat look. Later, the expression tonneau cover was also used to refer to the cover that went over the bed of a pickup truck. These lacked zippers.
Why or how this device, which protects against nothing but vision and is used wholly within the vehicle, never being exposed to the elements, ever got the name tonneau is lost to us, but it is probably because the people responsible were too tired or lazy or stupid to come up with an appropriate and accurate name. Maybe "cargo cover" is as good as we are going to get, which is fine with me.
And so it goes.

Last edited by tfischer; 05-25-14 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Removed several references to the Kardashian Wedding.
Old 05-25-14, 07:19 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tfischer
In this instance, I think it's a misuse of the word.
Lexus refers to it as a Tonneau Cargo Cover, which is good enough for me.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/5661.html

The main use I have seen for here in the south for a Tonneau Cover is in reference to a retractable cover, or just a cover, for an open truck bed.

http://www.topperking.com/truck-acce...bed-covers.htm
Old 05-25-14, 10:42 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Car 1
Car 2

I wouldn't be concerned of the mileage, there are numerous members here with high mileage and they have very few problems.

Vehicle #2 has the Generation 5 Navigation System with Bluetooth/Voice Activation and backup camera. That was an extra $2650 option when new. It also appears to have the Premium Plus Package that was an extra $2960 option.
Old 05-25-14, 11:24 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tfischer
"Tonneau cover is another name for a cargo cover," says RX330 in Florida. Not really, say I.
In this instance, I think it's a misuse of the word. Originally, the tonneau cover was used to cover the seats in a roadster (eg: TR6 - MGB). It snapped in place horizontally at the level of the top of the doors, so it was faster than putting up the top, which in those days could be quite an operation. It protected the interior from rain and sun. They also had a zipper down the middle so that the passenger side could stay in place while the driver opened his half of the car, which was a pretty neat look. Later, the expression tonneau cover was also used to refer to the cover that went over the bed of a pickup truck. These lacked zippers.
Why or how this device, which protects against nothing but vision and is used wholly within the vehicle, never being exposed to the elements, ever got the name tonneau is lost to us, but it is probably because the people responsible were too tired or lazy or stupid to come up with an appropriate and accurate name. Maybe "cargo cover" is as good as we are going to get, which is fine with me.
And so it goes.
Tonneau is actually from French (like a lot of English nouns) and the denotative meaning is a "cask", with a connotative meaning, namely the tub shaped open rear passenger compartment in a pre-1920's car. This part was usually covered with whatever material to shield it from the elements - but also from prying eyes. Therefore is RX330inFL not wrong to use this term.
To have these conversations about linguistics, doesn't make sense, unless it is to remove some confusion in car related jargon. We use terms like 'spanner', 'engine' for 'wrench', 'motor' etc., but the car guys in the US know what I mean if I use these terms.
The OP only wanted some tips on a planned purchase and surely not a language lesson, which rather should be debated on a forum like 'clubhouse'.
Old 05-25-14, 12:14 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Tonneau is a beloved automotive term, and those of us who appreciate new and old cars often communicate with each other. Thus, knowing what unusual terms mean and having some familiarity with their etymology is helpful in that regard. Thus, this discussion has served the above-approved function of removing confusion in the use of car-related jargon. Digressions of this sort should be encouraged, as the harm caused is nonexistent.
Old 05-25-14, 12:56 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

What originally came with this model, when new?

I am considering a used vehicle, 500 miles away, so I want to get all of my ducks in a row before going through with a long-distance (or local) purchase. Would anybody be able to tell me what originally came with the vehicle?
  • Master key x2?
  • Valet key?
  • Manual

Also, if anybody has any advice on how to handle examining the car on the ground as well as it's performance, I would be grateful. I am a novice, but I like to do my research. I am in the process of collating a checklist, attempting to have a stress-free and informed experience.

Thank you very much, in advance!
You absolutely have the correct idea to look for completeness on the car. A careless owner tends to lose keys, manuals etc. Lookout for the other signs of a careless owner: scuff marks on the bumpers (someone who parks by ear - I know park alert was fitted to some RX's, but that is not what I mean), dings on the doors (parking between other cars with no room for their owners to open their doors). Always try to suss out the previous owner. Have the RX on a lift and check the underside for serious dents and scratches - careless owners tend to drive over stuff as if a car is a bulldozer.
A careless owner can destroy a car in 50k miles, while a conscientious owner will sell you a car at 200k miles and it will still be in good nick.

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-25-14 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-25-14, 01:13 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
In the US RX350 I have usually seen it in the hatch attached to the side, as shown here:

In my RX330 it was just loose, so I have kept in in the pocket of the driver side door since new.
Aha, I see, thanks.
I would guess it has something to see with US requirements.
Not only I don't have it in my 400, but I've never seen it in any other 2nd gen RX here in Europe.
I'd be interested to hear if any EU owner has a different experience.
Old 05-25-14, 02:12 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spacecraft
Aha, I see, thanks.
I would guess it has something to see with US requirements.
Not only I don't have it in my 400, but I've never seen it in any other 2nd gen RX here in Europe.
I'd be interested to hear if any EU owner has a different experience.
I do not believe having a first aid kit in the vehicle is a US requirement in any way. Believe it to be just a courtesy item and perhaps expected in a luxury vehicle.

FWIW, I have not opened mine in over ten years now. Could not tell you what was inside nor if it were still of any use. Just dust it off from time-to-time. You are not missing anything. If need or desire one I am sure there are plenty of better and less expensive kits available.

Quick Reply: Used 2007 RX350