RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 Dash Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 04:50 AM
Sunstate78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 Dash Cracked

Hello:

I have a 2007 RX 350 with 46k miles. About year ago I started noticing small cracks in various places on the dash. Fast forward to today, my dash looks like a road map with several short and long cracks in various places on the dash. I am sick over it. I baby the car and to see the dash in this condition keeps me up at night.

I contacted Lexus about the problem and they assginged me to a "case manager". She called back about a week later and said that the best they could do is to offer a 25% discount on the cost of the replacement. She said it is out of warranty and out of good faith they were offering me the discount as they really don't have to do anything. I found both the tone and offer pretty insulting. I told her that I also own a 2008 ES350 with no problems at all. Apparently she didn't lke the fact that my maintenance is not done out of a Lexus dealership. I told her the nearest one is 35 miles away. Frankly it doesn't make much sense to me to spend $200 on an oil change at a dealership when I have equally qualified mechanics in my area that will do it for less than half of the cost at a dealership. .

Regardless, the dash definitely needs to be replaced whether the Lexus dealerhsip does it or someone else. I live in the Tampa area and was wondering if anybody knew of a company anywhere in Florida (I'd be willing to drive for the repair as I travle throughout the state for business) that would do the replacement. I've seen older posts where there is a problem with the RX350's of which Lexus refuses to acknowledge. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-21-14, 05:16 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a first I've heard of the RX350 dashes cracking, but it is FL sun/heat so anything is possible.

I would try car-parts.com - find a used dash as a replacement and have it swapped out.
Old 05-21-14, 05:56 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mom's 2004 RX330 has the same issue. Hers only has 48k on it. She always leaves in it garage to.
Old 05-21-14, 06:16 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

As UV rays intensify due to pollution, etc it will have greater harm on surfaces that aren't treated regularly with anti-UV properties. People don't realize sometimes how harmful the sun's rays can be to not only our skin but the exposed interior pieces of our vehicles. I'm sorry but I think the offer Lexus extended to you is more than generous as the car is far outside of warranty regardless of the low mileage. I'm not saying you or the other poster don't baby your car but it is A) over 7 years old and B) you both live in a climate that is hot and has high UV exposure. Try to find a good condition replacement and press on. Good luck!
Old 05-21-14, 06:19 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would post in the actual RX forum.... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...eneration-164/

I found this there..... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nsive-fix.html
Old 05-21-14, 06:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

moved to the right forum.

welcome sunstate.

Originally Posted by Sunstate78
... the best they could do is to offer a 25% discount on the cost of the replacement. She said it is out of warranty and out of good faith they were offering me the discount as they really don't have to do anything. I found both the tone and offer pretty insulting.
well your car is 7-8 years old and out of warranty and you don't have it serviced there, so i'm not following why you would find their offer insulting.

Apparently she didn't lke the fact that my maintenance is not done out of a Lexus dealership. I told her the nearest one is 35 miles away.
35 miles is very close from many people's perspective.

Frankly it doesn't make much sense to me to spend $200 on an oil change at a dealership when I have equally qualified mechanics in my area that will do it for less than half of the cost at a dealership.
so it's not the 35 miles.

anyway, really sorry to hear about the dash, that sucks. you might be best off finding a junk yard dash???
Old 05-21-14, 06:41 AM
Henry2024
Rookie

If I lived in a place with a very hot climate, I'd use a sun shade and a dash mat all the time. It gets hot in the summer here too, hence, we always use sun shades. Helps cool the car down faster when we get in too.

I too have an 07 RX 350 with 80K miles, so its way out of warranty. I'd be happy to get a discount. I don't don't think many manufacturers would even offer that much being so out of warranty.

Last edited by Henry2024; 05-21-14 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 08:04 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Cracking dash is very common for any Lexus and even Toyota model - although Lexus had quality issues right around 2006-2010 years. I dont know if I would bother with dash replacement on a 2007 - its going to be very expensive and the car isn't worth much at this point.
Old 05-21-14, 08:50 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Find an auto upholstery shop in your area and see how their price is compared to the dealership.
Old 05-21-14, 10:16 PM
Henry2024
Rookie

Originally Posted by Och
Cracking dash is very common for any Lexus and even Toyota model - although Lexus had quality issues right around 2006-2010 years. I dont know if I would bother with dash replacement on a 2007 - its going to be very expensive and the car isn't worth much at this point.
What are you talking about? An 07 RX 350 with only 46K is still worth a lot. That's one of the reasons why people buy Lexus, because they hold their value as good as or better than other brands.
Old 05-21-14, 10:21 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i love my lexus...i'm dreading the years i spent wasting money on the BMW. i just wish the interior held up as well as the BMW because everything on the outside (minus an annoying oil leak) has outlasted the bmer.
Old 05-22-14, 04:37 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Take a look at dash covers. http://www.dashmat.com Looks better than you would think.
Old 05-22-14, 11:06 AM
Henry2024
Rookie

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Take a look at dash covers. http://www.dashmat.com Looks better than you would think.
Old 05-22-14, 08:49 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Looking at some for my 2005 Lexus RX330
Just found 3 cracks
Ebay has some as well. Not sure how well they look
Old 05-25-14, 10:03 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Miles aren't going to mean anything when it comes to a dash..It has no moving parts so it is going to be all about age. Furthermore, cracking could be caused from certain cleaning products and not have anything to do with Lexus' quality. Also, a cracked dash poses no safety issue that would make Lexus do any kind of recall. So regardless of how many people have had issues with the dash (which are quite a lot of RX owners, including myself) I doubt Lexus will ever do anything.

Lastly, $200 for an oil change? What do they use, gold oil?! My Lexus Dealership charges $40 for an oil change, tire rotation, and carwash...Plus they have great snacks and fresh cookies and they even leave boxes of chocolates in the cup holders when it's done. Even my old BMW dealership was $100 bucks for an oil change and on that car I only had to have an oil change every 15k miles instead of every 5k. Sounds like that dealership is ripping everyone off.

Quick Reply: RX350 Dash Cracked