RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 or RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 08:21 AM
frmUkraine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
I too am toying with the idea of an RX330 or RX350 as my next vehicle.
What about the 2GR-FE 3.5L V6's reliability vs the 3MZ-FE?
I'm concerned about water pumps failing, ignition coils burning up, valve noise when cold, as well as oil leaks...all of that my 3MZ-FE in my ES330 doesn't suffer from.
2GR-FE is not so bad engine, I think. I have RX-350 2006 60000miles. The only annoying for me is - cracking sounds from the VVT-I system, while engine starts up. This sound doesn't affect operability. I heard that some other Toyota's engines has such cracking sounds from VVT-i mechanism.
Problem with the rubber oil hose is easily could be fixed:
google "Limited Service Campaign 9LH: LSC 9LH - Variable Valve Timing (VVT-i) Oil Hose Replacement"
Replacement parts needed
Oil line
#15772-31030
Gaskets
two #90430-16012
one #90430-16016
I've never heard about problems with water pump. Ignition coils on my car work fine, but they may burn. Toyota released an updated ignition coils (different part-numbers).
Because 2GR-FE is more powerful and have a better MPG, my choice is RX-350
Old 06-01-14, 08:39 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that Lexus carries on with the basic 2GR-FE engine, must tell you something.
Old 06-01-14, 10:33 AM
frmUkraine
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carver
Unless you have an actual need, try to avoid AWD if possible, just more moving parts to maintain.
The front wheel drive could use maximum 220 horse power. Add to this, that crossover has high center of gravity, that's why FWD SUV is a bit useless. Maybe it is better to choose sedan?
Plus full-time AWD system of RX is enough durable, the only negative is higher gas consumption.

Last edited by frmUkraine; 06-01-14 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-01-14, 11:11 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by frmUkraine
The front wheel drive could use maximum 220 horse power. Add to this, that crossover has high center of gravity, that's why FWD SUV is a bit useless. Maybe it is better to choose sedan?
Plus full-time AWD system of RX is enough durable, the only negative is higher gas consumption.
Maybe it is just a psychological association, but a two wheel drive SUV will take some time to make sense. The AWD is just better to make full use of the extra ground clearance. Of course you will want to drive, where the guy with his ground hugging Z4 can't and what a let down if the two wheel drive doesn't want to co-operate to get up and over an obstacle.
It is not that an RX is a Vespa scooter when it comes to a taste for 95 Octane, dropping an extra driven diff, will hardly catapult you into your bank manager's good books as a result of all the savings on gas.

Last edited by nipponbird; 06-01-14 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-01-14, 02:11 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As pointed out, need is the decider. I would guess South Africa and Ukraine (sorry for your troubles) might have more need of AWD than Texas where it's hundreds of miles of flat highways in any direction. I've owned 2 different RX since '06 and have had only one occasion where the height of the vehicle was needed but even then AWD was not. I found myself in a line to board a ferry I didn't want to board so I crawled the curb to remove myself from that unwanted adventure.

In my world an AWD is a 'bit useless' in your world perhaps not, I'll assume you know your needs better than I and will not presume to offer advice.
Old 06-02-14, 02:14 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Question Some still made in Japland

I believe, that all Hybrid models are still made in Japland I am in the process of buying a 2010 AWD RX 350.... Its plate is stamped made In Japan on 3/10. but what do I know Maybe the Canooks do not know how to build Hybrids & AWD ?
Old 06-02-14, 02:35 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

95% of the Gas RX's are still made in Canada, and Most of the Hybrids are made in Japan. This is however shifting over to 100% RX production in Canada by the start of the 2016 RX redesign. We have had a few RXH's this month with VIN's that start with 2T2 signifying a Canadian build.
Old 06-02-14, 02:51 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Aprazur
I believe, that all Hybrid models are still made in Japland I am in the process of buying a 2010 AWD RX 350.... Its plate is stamped made In Japan on 3/10. but what do I know Maybe the Canooks do not know how to build Hybrids & AWD ?
The reason the hybrids were built in Japan was due to production logistics and costs of expanding the plant in Canada, pure and simple. Purchase a new AWD or hybrid RX today and it is likely to come from Canada:

http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyot...ada+july24.htm

Also, have a read of this along with the links mentioned there:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8379058-post15.html

My Japan built RX has been recalled more times than the previous three cars I owned.
Old 06-03-14, 12:08 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

As pointed out, need is the decider. I would guess South Africa and Ukraine (sorry for your troubles) might have more need of AWD than Texas where it's hundreds of miles of flat highways in any direction. I've owned 2 different RX since '06 and have had only one occasion where the height of the vehicle was needed but even then AWD was not. I found myself in a line to board a ferry I didn't want to board so I crawled the curb to remove myself from that unwanted adventure.

In my world an AWD is a 'bit useless' in your world perhaps not, I'll assume you know your needs better than I and will not presume to offer advice.
My sincerest apologies, if I have offended you sir, I was under the impression that members are allowed to give an opinion irrespective of their country of origin, but will willingly abide by any rule to the contrary. We have vast areas that resemble Texas as well as a paved road network that can compete with most developed countries and even surpass some. (http://www.southafrica.info/business...m#.U414pfmSzT8
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Plains...tate&id=301144

My point with AWD is that I would rather have it and don't need it, than need it and don't have it. I had to swerve off the road once for oncoming traffic in extremely wet conditions and I believe the AWD saved me from a very nasty experience.

Last edited by nipponbird; 06-03-14 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-03-14, 12:51 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Our rain storms come in various strengths, from the balmy frog strangler all the way to the dreaded turd floater. I was once trapped on a highway in South Texas in a sudden downpour so heavy the only thing visible was the faint taillights of the car ahead. I had to keep him in sight or risk having no visibility at all. Pulling over was not feasible as I had no idea where the shoulder was. The gentleman ahead felt that 70 was a reasonable speed to traverse this wall of water we were buried in so that's the speed I drove...in my sweet FWD RX330.

Using your logic we must ponder the unbelievable stupidity of Lexus for even offering a FWD model and in such great numbers! I'll remake my original point, if one has no need of AWD it would be in their best interests to purchase a FWD model. Fewer parts to replace and better mileage.
Old 06-03-14, 01:19 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aprazur
Maybe the Canooks do not know how to build Hybrids & AWD ?
BTW, the term is Canuck.
Old 06-03-14, 02:31 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Our rain storms come in various strengths, from the balmy frog strangler all the way to the dreaded turd floater. I was once trapped on a highway in South Texas in a sudden downpour so heavy the only thing visible was the faint taillights of the car ahead. I had to keep him in sight or risk having no visibility at all. Pulling over was not feasible as I had no idea where the shoulder was. The gentleman ahead felt that 70 was a reasonable speed to traverse this wall of water we were buried in so that's the speed I drove...in my sweet FWD RX330.

Using your logic we must ponder the unbelievable stupidity of Lexus for even offering a FWD model and in such great numbers! I'll remake my original point, if one has no need of AWD it would be in their best interests to purchase a FWD model. Fewer parts to replace and better mileage.
The OP's question was whether he should go for a 330 or a 350 and here we are debating FWD versus AWD. Mostly car companies go for as wide a buyer's spectrum as possible and most probably our little (unnecessary) difference of opinion proves their decision to offer both.
A company like ****** offered their pick-up truck in 4x4 and 4x2 until 1950 wherefrom it was offered in 4x4 only. So it is not something new to react to a certain demand. Companies like Lexus has realised that the average driver, doesn't know where and when to use an AWD, which is driver selectable, so they made it fully computer controlled and I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't crossed their minds to go completely FWD.
To answer the OP's question honestly, I think a 330 in excellent shape is far better than a 350 in poor shape and the same goes for FWD or AWD.
Old 06-03-14, 02:41 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
BTW, the term is Canuck.
I've been rapped over the knuckles on these forums for calling the Germans "the jerrie boys". So you guys are on thin ice.
Old 06-03-14, 02:49 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I am with Carver in stating that not once have I ever thought to myself that I wished I had purchased an AWD RX instead of FWD. Have traversed deep snow on unplowed roads in PA, off-road small bits in and around the properties on rutted dirt roads/paths, traversed heavy downpours and flooded roads (the west coast of Florida tends to flood easily with 3" of rain in an hour common) all with little fuss. I have owned and driven a number of 4x4/AWD vehicles in my days including a few Toyota products (cars and trucks). So, I do not knock the concept and I get that it is not just for off-roading. To me, the AWD system in the RX is AWD-lite. Give me a true dual-range gearbox with manual transmission and a center locking differential for the really nasty stuff. Even the setup in the old Celica All-Trac was more capable, IMO, as it did not have all the nanny devices such as those found on the RX to reign it in. Why you see threads in this section on how to turn off or disable these systems.

BTW, haven't we traveled this AWD/FWD topic before?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-2006-a-2.html

Here in the US a FWD RX makes perfect sense due to how it is used by most -- as a wagon not as an SUV. Is actually how it is classified for insurance and registration purposes. Both my registration card and insurance card say, 2004 LEXUS RX 330 SPORT WG. I regularly refer to my vehicle as a "tall wagon." It is a crossover at best, which I do see the RX categorized by some of the trade magazines. Most of these RX's will never set one tire on a gravel nor dirt road -- asphalt only. Traditional station wagons do not sell in large numbers as they do in other markets and vehicles such as the RX are seen as the alternative to the dreaded minivan.

Of course, whether to purchase AWD or FWD is as much a personal choice as it is whether or not to get the NAV w/ backup camera. CL is full of heated conversations on that one. Same as to whether to get the hybrid or not. In TX, where the OP is located, a hybrid may not make much sense as depending on where one lives there may not be a whole lot of stop and go driving defeating most of the battery charging process because there is no regenerative braking occurring.
Old 06-03-14, 03:19 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Most probably Lexus is writing a song with AWD on the RX that nobody will ever sing. My daughter bought an X3 this year with AWD, upon my question why the AWD and not the RWD, she responded: "Does it have AWD, what does it mean?" (Can't imagine that the sales guy at BMW, didn't explain this and didn't offer a choice). Point is, people mostly don't know what the use of AWD is, unless they're knowledgeable about the potential of the better traction offered by AWD.
I am the last person to tell anybody what to buy (I'm posting from South Africa and not the USSR), but the OP might find different opinions useful. You can't have enough knowledge when you walk over the threshold of a showroom. There's little instance of paying too much, it is mostly a case of buying too soon.

Quick Reply: RX 330 or RX 350