RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How to Verify "Headlights that Turn in Direction of Travel" and other features

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 07:36 AM
ulmas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool How to Verify "Headlights that Turn in Direction of Travel" and other features

Hello everyone, my first post here. I'm buying a Lexus RX 2008. The poster advertised the car with certain features, along many others these are listed:
  • Xenon headlights that turn in direction of travel
  • 210 watts Mark Levinson audio system with in dash 6 disc changer
  • Keyless entry

Mark Levinson
When I started asking about certain features, he didn't seem to be sure what most of them even mean (certainly not a feature geek like I am). I did some search and found a way to verify if ML (Mark Levinson) is installed. So to check that, I would need to look for the ML logo on the unit.

Turning Headlights
Now, how can I check for the Xenon headlights that turn? I know "Xenon headlights" are standard, but the turning ones are not. The car is parked in the underground garage. What's the best way to check if the car has indeed turning headlights or not? I can't take it on a highway.

Keyless Entry
Also... what exactly does "Keyless entry" mean? I saw this feature on many Lexuses starting with years 2004-2005. I assumed this is how it works (from my experience with ES 2013 that I drove a couple of times): I lock the car and leave. When I return, I can keep the keys in my pockets and just open the door. The car will detect the key is in close proximity and will unlock the door.

However, when I enquired about this feature, the seller says "it's keyless: you press the unlock button on the key, and it opens". I thought any car with a remote key works that way, but that keyless actually works without pressing any buttons or even pulling the key from the pocket.

I checked the features with VIN on VIN Decoder and didn't see anything about Mark Levinson or turning headlights. I can post the VIN if it helps.

Here's the ad with the photos:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...-500/588485688
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Lexus/RX/...howcpo=ShowCPO

I appreciate any advice!

Last edited by ulmas; 05-02-14 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-02-14, 07:55 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

ML stereo has a speaker grille in the center of the dash above the NAV. It also has a ML sticker on the head unit.

Turning headlights have an on off switch by the fuel door open and hatch open switch. They also do a diagnostic when the RX is started where they go up down left right. It is a pretty cool little show.

It is remote entry and means you can click a button to open the doors/hatch. You can't just grab the handle like 2013 you drove. You start the RX with an physical key.
Old 05-02-14, 08:01 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, ulmas.

Mark Levinson -- there will be a speaker on the center of the dashboard just above the the NAV/HVAC/Stereo controls. The stereo itself is also labeled as such.

HID w/AFS -- what you are describing is AFS (Adaptive Front Lighting System). The system will test itself at vehicle startup as discussed here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-feature.html

Keyless Entry -- you have to press a button on the key fob. The seller does not know their terms. True keyless entry was not available until later with the 3rd Generation RX.

A VIN number does not tell you all the features of a vehicle. Only information regarding body type, engine, transmission, product sequence and little else. For all the specifics about a vehicle you would need access to the manufacturers production database.

Like all questions you might have, these have all been discussed on numerous occasions here at CL. Please use the search features here for the forums or use Google and add clublexus.com to the list of your search terms to find what you need.
Old 05-02-14, 09:02 AM
ulmas
Driver School Candidate

Thanks @smassey321 and @RX330inFL for the quick responses!

I did search for how to find ML (I think that's how I came across ClubLexus.com), but I guess had a challenge picking the right keywords for AFS. Looking forward to becoming a regular visitor on these forums!
Old 05-05-14, 05:54 AM
ulmas
Driver School Candidate

Bought the above car this past Saturday! Checked the Mark Levinson and the AFS light show - both were available. The car is awesome, I suppose I'm now officially the member of the Lexus Club
Old 05-05-14, 06:53 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats and welcome!
Old 05-05-14, 06:56 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

"I suppose I'm now officially the member of the Lexus Club"
Not until you pay your dues. Somebody will stop by your house shortly.