RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Please, help! I need a new key.

Old 04-24-14, 04:35 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please, help! I need a new key.

Hello!

My master key, the only one left has been glued by the previous owner. I am affraid of openning it but need the FCC code. Is there an online service that would help me get it using my vin? Do RX330 from 2004 have different FCC codes?

Last edited by Eliaquim; 04-24-14 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-24-14, 08:52 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The easiest way is to get a cut key from Sewell. Got to their website, we have a discount. They will ask for the VIN and a proof of ownership. They will cut the key and ship to you. Then just use the programming directions found here, do a search. In this case you know you are getting a key that is guaranteed to work.

I need a cut Valet key as well and am thinking of getting one from Sewell. I have programmed my SC Valet key which I bought from the Lexus dealer here using the instructions posted here, which I also have a copy handed to me from the Lexus Dealer mechanic friend I had.
Old 04-24-14, 09:17 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The OP's options are limited because he lives in Africa. Most sellers in the US and on eBay won't cut and ship keys overseas.
Old 04-24-14, 01:43 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

different regions made RX has different FCC ID I think ???
Old 04-24-14, 01:56 PM
Eliaquim
Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
The easiest way is to get a cut key from Sewell. Got to their website, we have a discount. They will ask for the VIN and a proof of ownership. They will cut the key and ship to you. Then just use the programming directions found here, do a search. In this case you know you are getting a key that is guaranteed to work.

I need a cut Valet key as well and am thinking of getting one from Sewell. I have programmed my SC Valet key which I bought from the Lexus dealer here using the instructions posted here, which I also have a copy handed to me from the Lexus Dealer mechanic friend I had.
Yes, that is what I ended up doing. I ordered a key from Swell. I will have it cut here, as having to send the papers there would be time consuming. However, and to cut costs, I will need instructions to program the key myself.

I can not find specific instructions for 2004 rx330. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 04-24-14, 01:58 PM
Eliaquim
Driver

Originally Posted by Rainbird
The OP's options are limited because he lives in Africa. Most sellers in the US and on eBay won't cut and ship keys overseas.
Yes, you are right. But I like american cars so much! Here they call american cars Head ache.
Old 04-24-14, 02:27 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliaquim
Yes, that is what I ended up doing. I ordered a key from Swell. I will have it cut here, as having to send the papers there would be time consuming. However, and to cut costs, I will need instructions to program the key myself.

I can not find specific instructions for 2004 rx330. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!
The instructions are that you need the dealer computer and software to register the key electronics with the vehicle.
Old 04-24-14, 03:48 PM
Eliaquim
Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
The instructions are that you need the dealer computer and software to register the key electronics with the vehicle.
I see! No DIY here!
Old 04-24-14, 07:32 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Heck did not even realize it...whole other story then.
Old 04-28-14, 01:57 PM
blautens
Driver School Candidate

Having blown through a number of keys (one lost, four broken in the ignition) in my wife's 2005 RX330, I have an observation.

I recently bought an Eternity key (you can Google it - I'm not a shill for them, just an RX owner who's life has been plagued by the worst key design I've ever seen for the RX's particular ignition switch), a thought occurred - had I purchased this key years ago (and it's fairly new, I think, so this is just hypothetical), here are some endeavors, experiences, and purchases I could have avoided:
  • Cheap Chinese OBD2 Smart Key Maker Programmer
  • Mini VCI OBD2 cable
  • TIS software
  • A few frantic phone calls from my wife
  • The need to put needle nose pliers in the glove compartment and teach my wife how to use them
  • An obsession with the proper amount of torque for the screw holding the key's plastic shell together
  • Waaaay too many ideas about superglue and keys
  • The need to keep no less than 4 cut replacement keys on hand
  • A crappy experience with a local locksmith
  • A semi crappy experience with local Lexus dealer

Especially if I was in Africa, especially if I was down to one key...I would absolutely make sure I had a second transponder programmed into my RX and either a few cut OEM replacement keys on hand or better yet, just use the Eternity key(s) instead.

If I find myself in the company of the people inside of Toyota responsible for the design and approval of these sinister OEM keys, I shall take my collection of broken keys, shells, replacements, and the miscellaneous tools required to ensure the maximum chance of starting the car and insert it into their bodies in a most uncomfortable fashion. (After all, it IS a keyhole if I can put a key in it, right?)

I make this statement with full knowledge that I might do a bit of jail time, but I will be a hero in the eyes of many Lexus owners, much like the young woman at the grocery store this morning who flagged me down for assistance because she broke off the key in her ES.
Old 04-29-14, 11:01 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

That is really a terrible experience. I can not say for myself, because I bought the car used and with just one key. I already ordered one. Hope they do not get lost at the same time.

Now let us say I get items like these ones in your list
Cheap Chinese OBD2 Smart Key Maker Programmer[*]Mini VCI OBD2 cable[*]TIS software

Wolud I be able to program the key that I ordered. The Toyota dealer here is very expensive, so I would like to find a way to do it myself. And then maybe help others here.

Note. Waaaay too many ideas about superglue and keys. This made me lol

Originally Posted by blautens
Having blown through a number of keys (one lost, four broken in the ignition) in my wife's 2005 RX330, I have an observation.

I recently bought an Eternity key (you can Google it - I'm not a shill for them, just an RX owner who's life has been plagued by the worst key design I've ever seen for the RX's particular ignition switch), a thought occurred - had I purchased this key years ago (and it's fairly new, I think, so this is just hypothetical), here are some endeavors, experiences, and purchases I could have avoided:
  • Cheap Chinese OBD2 Smart Key Maker Programmer
  • Mini VCI OBD2 cable
  • TIS software
  • A few frantic phone calls from my wife
  • The need to put needle nose pliers in the glove compartment and teach my wife how to use them
  • An obsession with the proper amount of torque for the screw holding the key's plastic shell together
  • Waaaay too many ideas about superglue and keys
  • The need to keep no less than 4 cut replacement keys on hand
  • A crappy experience with a local locksmith
  • A semi crappy experience with local Lexus dealer

Especially if I was in Africa, especially if I was down to one key...I would absolutely make sure I had a second transponder programmed into my RX and either a few cut OEM replacement keys on hand or better yet, just use the Eternity key(s) instead.

If I find myself in the company of the people inside of Toyota responsible for the design and approval of these sinister OEM keys, I shall take my collection of broken keys, shells, replacements, and the miscellaneous tools required to ensure the maximum chance of starting the car and insert it into their bodies in a most uncomfortable fashion. (After all, it IS a keyhole if I can put a key in it, right?)

I make this statement with full knowledge that I might do a bit of jail time, but I will be a hero in the eyes of many Lexus owners, much like the young woman at the grocery store this morning who flagged me down for assistance because she broke off the key in her ES.
Old 05-20-14, 12:02 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last key you will have to buy

Originally Posted by Eliaquim
Hello!

My master key, the only one left has been glued by the previous owner. I am affraid of openning it but need the FCC code. Is there an online service that would help me get it using my vin? Do RX330 from 2004 have different FCC codes?
We have a solution to your problem, and this will be the last key you will ever have to buy. Go to our website www.eternitykey.com and click on video you will see what I mean. Then click on order/order now to get a list of dealers in your state that offer our key. Ask for it by name Eternity Key
Old 05-21-14, 08:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig

+1 thats what I did.
Old 05-26-14, 06:36 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Solved!

Bought uncut key from Sewellparts;
Got Techstream software (will start making money with this);
Bought mini vci cable (for the business, 80$);
Had the key cut (70$);
Programmend the key myself. Very fast and easy.

Thank you all!
Old 05-31-14, 04:09 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Just curious, in west central Florida here. Got a quote for a 2004 duplicate master key of $280. Checked with Sewell and they want 160 but then from what I gather will need to get it programmed here, which means going to my local dealer. seems to be about a wash in price if I'm figuring this out right. Any suggestions? I also checked with regular key/lock places, seems they will do valet keys but shy away from the master keys. The ones I have found that will do them are basically the same price as the dealership...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please, help! I need a new key.