Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Rear Bumper paint spider Web

Old 04-19-14, 01:48 PM   #1
Rushore
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Rear Bumper paint spider Web

Hey Folks,

Very excited, just bought a used 2005 RX 330 and everything is perfect except for my left rear corner which has a spider paint crack. Any suggestions if this is a DIY or is it a body shop repair. Hate to have to spend $500 + for this. The size is about 4x6.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Bumper paint spider Web-20140419_092957.jpg  
Rushore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 03:20 PM   #2
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

I have the same thing my man. Gonna have to have bumper repainted. Over time the plastics bumper expands and contracts so many times it begins to slightly deform and cause the cracks.
Old 04-19-14, 05:29 PM   #3
Rushore
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Blue how much should I expect to pay? Is there anyway that just the damage area can be touched up?
Old 04-19-14, 08:12 PM   #4
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

I'm no body guy, but you might be able to get by with a touch up job but it won't look stock because you've got to sand that area to get rid of the cracks etc.
Old 04-20-14, 09:40 AM   #5
Rushore
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Blue looking at the other posts it looks like up to $700. Has anyone used Maaco before?
Old 04-20-14, 10:42 AM   #6
RX330inFL
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushore View Post
Thanks Blue looking at the other posts it looks like up to $700. Has anyone used Maaco before?
Don't cheap out. The paint on your RX is a three step process: paint, pearl, clear. Doesn't mean you need to go to the dealer, but I would at least make sure whichever shop you use does Lexus paint on a regular basis. Otherwise, you will end up with a paint job where the bumper does not match the rest of the vehicle. The pearl is a bear to match.

Also, if you have the whole bumper painted you will also want a new step pad. Do not let them tape and paint around it. Once the step pad has been removed it cannot be put back on proper. Best just to install a new one.
RX330inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 05:49 PM   #7
Rushore
Driver School Candidate

Thanks FL I'm going to the body shop tomorrow. Much appreciated!
Old 04-20-14, 05:51 PM   #8
1sWt2GS
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (5)

To be quite honest you need to probably paint the whole bumper again.

All Stock

If you got a speeding ticket... You're not low enough.

// \\ All SHOW no GO
1sWt2GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 06:06 PM   #9
Zoso08RX
Driver School Candidate

Yeah man ... stay away from Maco.

Get it done right.
Zoso08RX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 11:01 AM   #10
Rushore
Driver School Candidate

Just got an estimate from my local body shop for $700. Includes taking off the bumper & repainting. I guess that's the going rate...
Old 04-21-14, 11:12 AM   #11
kickin8
2IS/2RX
Trader Score: (1)

Maaco? LOL

HIS: 07' IS250 6MT Tungsten Pearl/Black
F-Sport Intake / F-Sport Quick Shifter / Aluminum Pedals / ARC Shift****
Linea Corsa Dyna / White Illuminated Door Sills / Canadian IS All Weather Floor Mats

HERS: 07' RX350 AWD Millennium Silver / Gray
Canadian RX All Weather Floor Mats (gone)
WeatherTech FloorLiner
kickin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 01:58 PM   #12
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

WOW could get that done for $200 here in Atlanta. that's non macco good job

09 RX350 Current
kevs98GS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 02:53 PM   #13
RX330inFL
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevs98GS4 View Post
WOW could get that done for $200 here in Atlanta. that's non macco good job
I assume you are referring to just sanding and painting only that one area of the bumper. Perhaps you could get it done in your area for $200, though I might call your bluff on that one and would want to see an official quote to believe it. Regardless, as I mentioned above this is a three step process on the paint and it is doubtful you could get a proper blend of the paint with the rest of the bumper and especially the pearl by shooting just that one area. If it were not a pearl paint I might be in agreement with you a bit more.

A new step pad is going to run $90, from Sewell even with our discount, and if you are going to paint the whole bumper you definitely do not want them to tape around this for the job. Add time to remove the bumper, tape and prep for a proper paint job and you are over $200 before you begin. Not a lot of paint needed for the job, but the paints are still not cheap and needs to be mixed. Hard to stay in business to offer all this up at $200.

So, this is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. Try to do it cheap and you will get something you will perhaps regret doing. Not saying $700 is the going rate as that depends as much on area as the shop used.
RX330inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 06:51 AM   #14
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX330inFL View Post
I assume you are referring to just sanding and painting only that one area of the bumper. Perhaps you could get it done in your area for $200, though I might call your bluff on that one and would want to see an official quote to believe it. Regardless, as I mentioned above this is a three step process on the paint and it is doubtful you could get a proper blend of the paint with the rest of the bumper and especially the pearl by shooting just that one area. If it were not a pearl paint I might be in agreement with you a bit more.

A new step pad is going to run $90, from Sewell even with our discount, and if you are going to paint the whole bumper you definitely do not want them to tape around this for the job. Add time to remove the bumper, tape and prep for a proper paint job and you are over $200 before you begin. Not a lot of paint needed for the job, but the paints are still not cheap and needs to be mixed. Hard to stay in business to offer all this up at $200.

So, this is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. Try to do it cheap and you will get something you will perhaps regret doing. Not saying $700 is the going rate as that depends as much on area as the shop used.
No reason what so ever to replace the step pad. It will pop right out and from the pic doesn't show any problems with it. Save $90 right there.

Yes I get bumpers painted here in Atlanta all the time for $150-200. I run a dealership. Call my bluff anytime you want and I can produce receipt after receipt of proof. And yes they paint the whole bumper not just the corner.

09 RX350 Current
kevs98GS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 08:39 AM   #15
Rushore
Driver School Candidate

Hey Folks,

Just got an estimate for $300 from Carmetics. They would just paint the damaged area. Has anyone ever used them?
Old 04-22-14, 08:39 AM