RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2nd Gen Maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-14, 08:46 AM
ChicagoRJ
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2nd Gen Maintenance Schedule

Ok, my brain is turning to mush doing searches, reading the sticky's, etc. I'm looking for the following mileage times to change fluids. I know Lexus says one thing (though not in my manual ???) I was told they leave it up to the dealer to decide, which sounds like they want more maintenance to make a few more bucks... I'm hitting the 120K mark, and bringing in to have plugs changed at indy shop... just plugs.

I don't think I need anything else at this time and not paying for an inspection My last fluid change was at timing belt replacement at 90K, did water pump as well, and trans, coolant, diff and PW steering. Also replaced radiator due to small leak....This was all done at a Toyota dealer cause Lexus wanted a boat load more to do it.

Car is running like a top, and the wife does NOT want a new car. I was looking but she likes her car and does NOT want a new one ?? OK, just saved about $500 a month

Car does not sit, about 12 - 15K miles per year. 2004 with 125K. Bought in 2006 with 17K.

Trans fluid: Every ??
Diff Fluid: Every ??
Coolant: Every ??
Brake Fluid: Every ??
PW Fluid: Every ??
Cabin Filter: Every??
Old 04-03-14, 09:13 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey, at least you are trying to read the existing material for your answers.

Vehicle maintenance and occasional repairs are usually much cheaper than new car payments.

Everyone will have different opinions on the maintenance intervals when you get outside what is noted in the Owner's Manual. My thoughts:

Transmission Fluid -- drain and fill every 30K (Toyota T-IV)
Front Transfer Case and Rear Differential -- replace every 30K (synthetic)
Coolant -- since this is long-life I would replace when doing the water pump at 90K
Power Steering Fluid -- once a year pump out the reservoir and add clean fluid (Mobil 1 ATF)
Brake Fluid -- 2 YR
Cabin Filter -- Yearly. I gently vacuum it each quarter to remove visible dirt.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ce-schedule.do
Old 04-03-14, 05:25 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL

Vehicle maintenance and occasional repairs are usually much cheaper than new car payments.

Everyone will have different opinions on the maintenance intervals when you get outside what is noted in the Owner's Manual. My thoughts:

Coolant -- since this is long-life I would replace when doing the water pump at 90K
Power Steering Fluid -- once a year pump out the reservoir and add clean fluid (Mobil 1 ATF)
Brake Fluid -- 2 YR

Your Power steering fluid change and brake fluid change seems really excessive.

PS i would change maybe every 36-48k km (20k-30k miles)

Brake fluid, every 100k km (60k miles)
Old 04-03-14, 05:50 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Brake Fluid -- 2 YR

+1 to what RX330inFL said. I have followed the above sked, with the exception of the power steering fluid (still have the original fluid) .... 183K and our RX is running great.
Old 04-03-14, 06:29 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kiwi
Your Power steering fluid change and brake fluid change seems really excessive.

PS i would change maybe every 36-48k km (20k-30k miles)

Brake fluid, every 100k km (60k miles)
Originally Posted by cdnewton
+1 to what RX330inFL said. I have followed the above sked, with the exception of the power steering fluid (still have the original fluid) .... 183K and our RX is running great.
The concern I have with the power steering is that we have seen a number of power steering rack failures. The reservoir for power steering fluid does not hold all that much. So, with my 2L soda bottle and a pump sprayer off a bottle of window cleaner I pump out most of what is in there and pour in fresh fluid. Takes only a few minutes. Besides, I have a bottle of Mobil 1 ATF and nothing else to use it on.

BTW ChicagoRJ, there is no service interval for the power steering fluid in the Owner's Manual. Mine was never touched by the dealership and nothing was ever said about it. The first time I did this is was black when it should have been red. Am going to guess your power steering fluid is much the same, cdnewton, and probably could use some attention.

As for the brake fluid, the Owner's Manual states this should be replaced every 30K miles. As the OP put upwards of 15K miles on the RX each year that would be about every 2 years. Therefore, I would not consider that one excessive. Besides kiwi, that is EXACTLY in line with what you said. Personally, I do the brake fluid every time I have the front brakes done which has been every 40K to 45K miles. Would not push it much past that.
Old 04-03-14, 09:22 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Gotta agree with RX330inFL...the many rack failures have led me to use a turkey baster and suck out old fluid and replace with new every other oill change which is 12k miles for me. I replace with mobil 1 synthetic ATF. It is too easy to not do. Takes 5 minutes.
Old 04-03-14, 09:25 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

One of these weekends, I need to look at the plastic cover and figure out how to remove it. I looked once and broke a clip. Once I figure out how to get it off, doing the turkey baster thing is super easy.
Old 04-03-14, 09:31 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Push the middle section of each fastener down with a flathead screwdriver...this loosens them.
Old 04-06-14, 10:14 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like RX330inFL's approach. I initially did not change PS fluid much in my vehicles and the fluid turned dark. I started doing it several times a year to get it back to red. Now do it about once a year - and use synthetic ATF.

I agree with synthetic fluid for the driveline. I have used and like RedLine and Amsoil gear oils.

Maintenance is both mileage and time sensitive. Two years on brake fluid is good - it tends to pick up moisture with time, so it is not just mileage. For coolant, I only use the Toyota brand. I rarely have issues with the cooling system when using Toyota brand coolant. I tend to replace about 60K miles though. When I use the concentrate, I dilute with distilled water.
Old 04-06-14, 10:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LXPearl
For coolant, I only use the Toyota brand. I rarely have issues with the cooling system when using Toyota brand coolant. I tend to replace about 60K miles though.
Will not disagree with this. I actually had mine done at 60K as well. My reasoning was that I had planned on waiting until 120K miles to have my timing belt replaced. Wasn't going to wait that long to replace the coolant. However, if someone was going to have their timing belt changed at 90K it would be a waste, IMO, to change the coolant at 60K. Thus, the reason for my comment above. I think this is why Lexus has the maintenance schedule for both the timing belt and coolant replacement at 90K.

None of this is cut and dry. Everything is a systematic approach.
Old 04-07-14, 05:57 AM
mpatton
Rookie

Brake Fluid -- 2 YR

I've never changed the fluid in a transfer case or differential in any car I've ever owned, then again, I usually get rid of them around 100k miles.

Is changing the Front Transfer Case and Rear Differential -- replace every 30K (synthetic) - a DIY job and is there a way to tell if it has synthetic in there already and if not, is there anything special that needs to be done to switch from what may be in there to synthetic? I.e., how can you be sure you're not mixing what's in there with synthetic and is that even an issue to mix the 2 fluids?

Thanks, I'd like to get another 100k out of this car honestly, I love it that much.
Old 04-07-14, 07:09 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mpatton
I've never changed the fluid in a transfer case or differential in any car I've ever owned, then again, I usually get rid of them around 100k miles.

Is changing the Front Transfer Case and Rear Differential -- replace every 30K (synthetic) - a DIY job and is there a way to tell if it has synthetic in there already and if not, is there anything special that needs to be done to switch from what may be in there to synthetic? I.e., how can you be sure you're not mixing what's in there with synthetic and is that even an issue to mix the 2 fluids?

Thanks, I'd like to get another 100k out of this car honestly, I love it that much.
This is all about buying a daily driver and getting it to 300K with as little problems as possible.

By not changing the gear oil in the front transfer case and rear differential you run the risk of damaging parts as the oil begins to breakdown and contaminants begin to creep into the system. If you were to change yours you would probably notice that the stuff you take out smells quite nasty. It is burned up. The cost to replace the transfer case is quite expensive and this is a very cheap preventative measure. Nothing special needs to be done to make a switch, you just do it. Mobil 1 has a 75W90 gear oil which has been mentioned before here at 2nd Generation RX. No, you never do get all the old gear oil out of the system but there is no problem in mixing the two much like there is no problem in making the switch to synthetic motor oil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._75W-90LS.aspx

Check the DIY section for instruction information.
Old 04-07-14, 07:34 AM
mpatton
Rookie

This is all about buying a daily driver and getting it to 300K with as little problems as possible.

By not changing the gear oil in the front transfer case and rear differential you run the risk of damaging parts as the oil begins to breakdown and contaminants begin to creep into the system. If you were to change yours you would probably notice that the stuff you take out smells quite nasty. It is burned up. The cost to replace the transfer case is quite expensive and this is a very cheap preventative measure. Nothing special needs to be done to make a switch, you just do it. Mobil 1 has a 75W90 gear oil which has been mentioned before here at 2nd Generation RX. No, you never do get all the old gear oil out of the system but there is no problem in mixing the two much like there is no problem in making the switch to synthetic motor oil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._75W-90LS.aspx

Check the DIY section for instruction information.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I'd like to squeeze 300k out of this car if I could. Regular preventive maintenance is worth it to me for some cars.
Old 04-07-14, 09:55 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mpatton
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I'd like to squeeze 300k out of this car if I could. Regular preventive maintenance is worth it to me for some cars.
This is what can happen if you have a leak or do not tend to the gear oils:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ion-whine.html
Old 04-07-14, 12:04 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Preventative is far cheaper than replacement or rebuild time. But that is how I have ran things my entire life.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Maintenance Schedule