RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How much would it be to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 09:09 AM
isdouble
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would it be to fix this?

Hey guys, I'm usually in the IS-2nd Gen section most of the time but my dad's PARKED car (09 RX350) got hit yesterday by a car that was reversing.
Can anyone give me an estimate of how much would it cost to fix the damage?
Picture is attached.
Thank you.

How much would it be to fix this?-zqaqqya.jpg
Old 03-11-14, 02:06 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

my guess is about $650. That includes removal of the bumper skin, inspect shock absorption parts, smooth out skin damage, paint and re-install.
Old 03-11-14, 07:57 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Hard to say. Too much variation in prices based on location. You may want to check the CA section here at CL for any recommendations on a quality body shop.

The paint is a three step process: paint, pearl, clear.

Also, while it may be possible to blend to match it would be best to paint the whole bumper. That means replacing the step pad. Once it comes off, and it should, you should not reuse it and you need to install a new one.
Old 03-11-14, 09:11 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I would just get it buffed...

everyone is always quick to get on the 'NEEDS PAINT LOT OF $$$' bandwagon...

A good detailer will get rid of 97% of that, if not all...
Old 03-12-14, 11:24 AM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife's 04 RX was rear ended a few years ago and suffered similar damage.

Filed an insurance claim and took it to Longo Lexus. they had charged $800 to the other party's insurance. excellent repair and still looks fantastic.
Old 03-12-14, 04:32 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

Sounds like your dad did not catch the person who did it since it was parked. So he cannot claim against the at-fault party. But he can claim comprehensive, pay the deductible and have it fix.

The OEM bumper cover, part number 521590E900 is ~$400, painting should be no more than $400-500 in CA. So figure $800-850.
Old 03-12-14, 08:14 PM
isdouble
Rookie

So the full story behind this accident is that my dad "caught" the driver but from our home which is on the 7th floor. I asked him "Are you going to leave a note?" He says he lives here so he'll come back then takes off. I was going to call the police as a hit and run but the damages are just couple of scratches which probably can be buffed out so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Next morning, I go to the apartment corresponding to the parking space and the resident tells me that he's letting a friend's friend borrow it the spot. So I told him have him call me ASAP to fix this. It's been 2 days now and no response. I'm thinking of reporting it to the police now but will they do anything? I have the car's license plate and the damages from both cars.
Old 03-12-14, 08:20 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

I would report him even if I get nothing out of it. People need to learn about honesty and common decency these days.

lexsc4
Old 03-12-14, 08:25 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by isdouble
So the full story behind this accident is that my dad "caught" the driver but from our home which is on the 7th floor. I asked him "Are you going to leave a note?" He says he lives here so he'll come back then takes off. I was going to call the police as a hit and run but the damages are just couple of scratches which probably can be buffed out so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Next morning, I go to the apartment corresponding to the parking space and the resident tells me that he's letting a friend's friend borrow it the spot. So I told him have him call me ASAP to fix this. It's been 2 days now and no response. I'm thinking of reporting it to the police now but will they do anything? I have the car's license plate and the damages from both cars.
Chances are the police would not have done anything about it in the first place. In these types of incidents with minimal damage they no longer want to allocate resources and just have the individuals deal with it themselves and with their insurance agents. In many locales it now requires an injury or major damage to get a police officer out to write a report.
Old 03-12-14, 08:33 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

File a claim with your insurance company under the comprehensive. Give them the name and address of the person responsible for the damage and let them deal with it.
Old 03-12-14, 08:38 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

I agree with Firebird and still report it to the police. In California it is Misdismeaner hit and run. You might be able to go to small claim court if you have pictures to proof it.

lexsc4
Old 03-12-14, 09:01 PM
isdouble
Rookie

You guys won't believe what I just heard from the owner. He calls me and immediately I noticed he was pretty angry about the situation. Apparently I'm treating him like a criminal because I told his friend that I was going to call the police and report it as a hit and run. Then he goes on saying I told you that I live here and I told him, how would I know that when you have a visitor pass? He then says you have no right to judge me how I live or what I do. He says I saw no damage on your car other than "previous scratches" you had. Apparently the picture I took is considered no damage. I just told him to have a good night and we will deal with this tomorrow morning where we can see the damages. What am I dealing with.. SIGH
Old 03-13-14, 12:44 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

isdouble, you can file for insurance or cough up the money and get it painted. Your scratches are too much to get it buff out even with compound, it might get some of it out but you won't like it. I don't know if filing a Police report days after still worth anything
Old 03-16-14, 09:20 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think the repair is more than your deductible then file a claim. You've been paying insurance all these years for in case something happens, now that it has happened, use it.

It also seems like at this point, the other guy is leaving no choice but to get the police involved. I know in NYC, it's a paper work matter for the police and they love paper work ( OT ). The insurance company will ask if you filed a police report regardless. It's best that you do because if you don't it becomes your word against his. Matter of fact he may flip the story and say you backed up into him. So be careful.

Last but not least, I don't know about other states but in NYC if you're involved in any kind of fender bender, it goes on your record for 3 years. Your insurance may not go up, but it definitely won't be going down. So you have plenty to consider if you do decide to pursue it through insurance.
Old 03-17-14, 03:21 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Also, not that there is much credit given to carfax these days but something this minor will show up on the carfax for the car once you file a report. Some potential buyers do put a big amount of weight on the cars carfax report which could lower potential resale. I am all for honesty. You could tell a potential buyer the bumper has been repainted rather than have it on the carfax documented as an accident when it really wasn't significant like frame damage, replaced fenders or something.

Quick Reply: How much would it be to fix this?