RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

My fuel mileage is terrible!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 12:05 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Though this would be only one factor in many, you are one of only a few here at CL running the Cooper CS4 Touring tire on your RX. Am wondering if these tires are dragging your numbers down.

Very good point RX330inFL! However even on my original equipment Michelin's also "V" speed rated. I got around the same mpg`s. And these Cooper`s have been very good tires. better ride, better handling, better snow traction. much better than the Michelin`s ever were.
Old 03-04-14, 12:23 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

better grip means you need more power to roll?

more power to roll = lower mpg?

I honestly think it's the winter blend fuel that causes the lower-than-normal mpg....
Old 03-04-14, 02:01 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Very good point RX330inFL! However even on my original equipment Michelin's also "V" speed rated. I got around the same mpg`s. And these Cooper`s have been very good tires. better ride, better handling, better snow traction. much better than the Michelin`s ever were.
Originally Posted by kickin8

I honestly think it's the winter blend fuel that causes the lower-than-normal mpg....
Was just another component in the equation on the topic of poor gas mileage which crossed my mind as I was looking at my own tire situation. Sure, the current gas has a lot to do with it. But a number of other smaller items, such as tire choice, can also add up to make things worse. Wondering how your MPG would be with a different tire choice, such as the Bridgestone Ecopia or other low rolling resistance tire?

As I was reviewing tire availability and pricing it occurred to me that I should (or may have to) purchase five tires this time around instead of four. I looked at the pricing listed for the Cooper CS4 Touring and it being some $40+ a piece cheaper than other tires such as those from Bridgestone. So, all this seemed to blend into my cross-posting on these two topics. If I have to replace all five tires I have to calculate to see if it would be more cost effective for me to go with the Cooper tires to save money or to get something which might give me an extra MPG or two per gallon of gas. Of course, I have other criteria I need to consider so it is not a cut and dry decision. The fact that no one has stock in the CS4 at the moment may make the need of choice moot unless I decide to wait until I really must have new tires.
Old 03-04-14, 06:10 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Tires can have a big impact on mpg, my General Grabber HTS tires on my RX300 have decreased by mpg by nearly 10%. I can directly relate it to the tires.
Old 03-04-14, 07:20 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Tires can have a big impact on mpg, my General Grabber HTS tires on my RX300 have decreased by mpg by nearly 10%. I can directly relate it to the tires.
Some of the mpg lost is likely due to the change in tire circumference of a new vs. worn tire. Even if you change from/to the same tire brand and size tire, a new tire will usually appear to give you less mpg than the worn tire.

Another contributing factor is that a new tire has more tread squirm and higher rolling resistance than a worn tire, as much as 20% higher according to tirerack.com.
Old 03-05-14, 07:11 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kickin8

Yeah I agree with the winter blend fuel being most of the culprit.
Old 03-10-14, 12:53 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Though this would be only one factor in many, you are one of only a few here at CL running the Cooper CS4 Touring tire on your RX. Am wondering if these tires are dragging your numbers down.
good catch, I was wondering the same thing.
Old 03-10-14, 05:26 AM
nsexton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check engine light

Did your check engine light come on? mine did and they replaced the mass air flow sensor and my mileage went from 17-18 to now 7-8 and won't shift into overdrive
Old 03-10-14, 10:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nsexton
Did your check engine light come on? mine did and they replaced the mass air flow sensor and my mileage went from 17-18 to now 7-8 and won't shift into overdrive
Make sure the connection is good.
Old 03-14-14, 02:49 PM
ausbun
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clean mass air flow meter?

I own a 2003 SC 430 along with my wife's 2007 RX 350, and I started getting better mileage on it when I simply cleaned the mass air flow meter. It took about 30 minutes, mostly checking my computer screen to make sure I wasn't missing anything in the online instructions. I used a screwdriver and an aerosol can of MAF cleaner I bought at the local car-parts store. I'm not sure if the cleaning process is the same for the RX, but I bet some mechanic on this forum does. (There might also be some differences in the RX 330 and the 350 engines that I'm not familiar with.)
Old 03-14-14, 03:37 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ausbun
I own a 2003 SC 430 along with my wife's 2007 RX 350, and I started getting better mileage on it when I simply cleaned the mass air flow meter. It took about 30 minutes, mostly checking my computer screen to make sure I wasn't missing anything in the online instructions. I used a screwdriver and an aerosol can of MAF cleaner I bought at the local car-parts store. I'm not sure if the cleaning process is the same for the RX, but I bet some mechanic on this forum does. (There might also be some differences in the RX 330 and the 350 engines that I'm not familiar with.)
I do not believe we have an official write up of this for the 2nd Generation RX. Hey, alchemist... do you want to take this one on?
Old 03-27-14, 05:00 PM
Briand_OH
Driver

Just a FYI:

Recent Grass Roots Motorsports magazine did test on rolling resistance for some performance tires.
Old 03-31-14, 10:16 PM
pablo87
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also was getting poor fuel economy, tried everything (premium, seafoam, change plugs, clean maf, clean tb, etc...). Recently put a can (150ml) of liquid moly (lubro moly) valve clean (ventil sauber) in the gas, all of a sudden better fuel economy (25mpg 40mph (60-65 or 15-20) 6 hour trip) and more power on 87 gas from Costco. $6 at napa. YMMV!

Last edited by pablo87; 03-31-14 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-20-14, 09:15 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen that some of the MAF cleaners do not work with Lexus vehicles.
Old 04-21-14, 02:29 AM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
I've seen that some of the MAF cleaners do not work with Lexus vehicles.
If you are reading the side of the bottle, that's old news and doesn't apply to our current or future types of MAF sensors.

Quick Reply: My fuel mileage is terrible!