RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I predict poor reliability for the new RX330

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-03, 04:18 AM
mongrel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I predict poor reliability for the new RX330

A new model, manufactured in a new plant (Canada, in this case) by new employees is NEVER particularly reliable. Remember the debacle of the Mercedes M-series, which was manufactured in Alabama from scratch? Note this quote from the JD Powers report, summarized in the "Articles" section of cl.com:

"Walters stated that usually when a new vehicle is first introduced, and especially in a new plant, it's always hard for the manufacturer to control the quality. Ever since their introduction in 1998, the M Class have had quite a few problems"

I don't think the RX330 will be quite the failure as the early M series, but it won't match the build quality and reliability of the RX300, which was made by Japanese, in Japan.

Steer clear of this model until its 2nd year, and only once sufficient data has been received about its reliability.

Last edited by mongrel; 02-02-03 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-02-03, 06:05 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well until Canadian production gets up to speed, the Japanese will produce the RX330s. Interesting to see if there is a difference in quality. One of my main reasons for purchasing my 99 was that Toyota previously had good experience for the prior two years with the Harrier (practically same vehcile). By the way, the RX330s new engine will come from Buffalo, West Virginia.

The other example I am thinking of is the X5, which BMW produces in South Carolina along with their Z-series coupes. Also lousy quality. When Toyota first began producing Camrys in the USA, it took them several years to correct the problems.

I think the difference is not so much where, but mentality. I regard the Japanese as a "let us get it right the first time, so we do not need to keep fixing it." Down here in Mexico, I often encounter the following mentality, "It is only our first year, give us a break." Not with my dollars!
Old 02-02-03, 07:27 AM
anonymous
Pit Crew

that's why you make sure you get your order before September =)
Old 02-02-03, 09:14 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

This may not be built in Japan, but the company running the show is Japanese. So, rest assured, things are going to be done the way they have in the past. American workers aren't bad workers.

Once the Honda Accord began production in the U.S. quality ratings actually improved.
Old 02-02-03, 09:27 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe Lexus will take the proper steps to ensure
that production will remain up to their standards.

Lexus is not going to lose their #1 status in the industry
by allowing their #1 selling model to lapse in quality.
Old 02-02-03, 11:13 AM
Crutcher
Driver School Candidate

I agree -- I'm sure Lexus is taking all precautions to ensure a quality vehicle.

And even if there is the "first-year" syndrome here, my guess is because it is the Japanese problems will be smaller vs. major (think 80s Jaguars).

Second, because it is Lexus, they'll make any fixes seamless for their customers.
Old 02-02-03, 12:45 PM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got an email this morning from a friend who works at Toyota. The first RX330s WILL be made in Japan. It is not only because the Canadian production facility is not quite ready, but they want the Japanese (with the experience) to identify any problems during production so as to avoid them when full production switches to Canada.
Old 02-02-03, 02:42 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

First of all like many of my fellow members here already know, the first lots will still be made in Japan. Sure with a new model, there will always be quality issues, even with Lexus, even in Japan and maybe even more issues in a Canadian plant, but don't kid yourself and say I'm not going to buy one just because of that. Don't settle for an older RX300 that's made in Japan, when you can get a brand new one that looks better and has more features.

The RX300 is way past due for a revamp and this new RX330 is just the ticket, sportier, more powerful, more features, all good.

The new RX330 (whether made in Japan or Canada), is the way to go for current RX owners and new buyers already thinking about it.
Old 02-02-03, 02:59 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default mongrel, I do agree with you somewhat.....

Originally posted by mongrel
A new model, manufactured in a new plant (Canada, in this case) by new employees is NEVER particularly reliable. Remember the debacle of the Mercedes M-series, which was manufactured in Alabama from scratch? Note this quote from the JD Powers report, summarized in the "Articles" section of cl.com:

"Walters stated that usually when a new vehicle is first introduced, and especially in a new plant, it's always hard for the manufacturer to control the quality. Ever since their introduction in 1998, the M Class have had quite a few problems"

I don't think the RX330 will be quite the failure as the early M series, but it won't match the build quality and reliability of the RX300, which was made by Japanese, in Japan.

Steer clear of this model until its 2nd year, and only once sufficient data has been received about its reliability.
.......but I would not use Mercedes as a comparison for this

...........Mercedes, BMW etc. are POS companies and have NEVER EVER known how to make reliable, durable and dependable vehicles. Yes, they have great engineering (performance, handling dynamics etc.), but they are CLUELESS on how to engineer reliability and dependability in their vehicles

Japanese companies OTOH are a totally different ball game!!......so the comparison I would use is one for the HONDA ODYSSEY ........The old Odyssey was rated "excellent" for reliability. However, when the new model was introduced in 1999, reliability SANK to "below average" :eek: .......However, unlike Mercedes, BMW etc. where the problems in question were things like: the engine blowing up, engine catching on fire, transmission blowing up, etc. etc., the reliability issues with the Odyssey was stuff like: rattles and squeaks everywhere, body hardware issues, trim pieces etc. falling off, rattling of rear windows and a few issues with some electrical components etc., in the worst cases

So, as can be seen there is A BIG DIFFERENCE!!......I would go as far as to say that, IMHO, the most unreliable Japanese vehicle is far superior in reliabilty and dependabilty than the most reliable German or American vehicle

That said, I agree that the new RX is going to have many build-quality issues when compared to the current RX and other Japanese-made Lexus vehicles ......I, already forsee things like rattles and squeaks issues, body hardware issues, maybe even some "electrical gremlins" etc. etc. (ususally items that are OUTSOURCED, where Lexus does not have FULL control over) ........However, problems with the CORE components like the Engine, Transmission, Drivetrain etc. are very unlikely!

I would also take your advice ONE STEP FURTHER and wait until at least the 3rd model year because there are too many new things to deal with: New plant, new model, new employees to be trained etc. etc. etc........Remember, the Odyssey, in it's 3rd year has gotten to "above average" reliabilty (still not "excellent") - the Japanese do take serious steps to correct problems - ........In sharp contrast to this, both the BMW X5 and Mercedes ML, which started out with a "POOR" rating, are still, in their 4th year in production , rated "POOR" for reliability!! (they have not even improved to "average" or "below average" in the least :eek: :eek: )

Last edited by vicpai; 02-02-03 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-02-03, 10:36 PM
dchesanek
Rookie

" would go as far as to say that, IMHO, the most unreliable Japanese vehicle is far superior in reliability and dependability than the most reliable German or American vehicle"

That statement is completely inaccurate. Take a look at Porsche quality (JD Powers) and look at Mazda, Nissan and Suzuki. Those Japanese mfg's have quality problems. By the way Porsche just won the Rolex 24hr at Daytona, some indication of their quality and reliability, not to mention their history at Lemans and other endurance race's.

As far as the potential quality issue. First Lexus is not Honda so any comparison is not relevant. I would not hesitate to buy the RX330 in the first model year. I certainly would not wait until the 3rd year only to have a new model show up the next year.
Old 02-02-03, 10:50 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by dchesanek
First Lexus is not Honda so any comparison is not relevant.
Careful now, the particular comparison I made actually was perfectly relevant. I'm not directly comparing the quality of Lexus vs. Honda but instead presenting an allegory, or parallel of sorts.

Last edited by LexRX; 02-02-03 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-03-03, 05:54 AM
dchesanek
Rookie

It's still not relevant. Give me an example where Lexus has done this and to what degree of success or failure would be relevant. Using Honda as an example is just saying because they are both Japanese companies they will do things the same with the same result. Want to use something relevant. Lexus quality is higher than Honda. They will produce an reliable RX330 in Canada.
Old 02-03-03, 06:17 AM
Chuckieb
Driver School Candidate

And let's not forget the plant in Canada is NOT "new", they have been building Toyotas for a number of years. No, they are not Lexus, but this is a much different situation than the Mercedes M-class (brand new vehicle) in Alabama (1st Mercedes factory in North America).
Old 02-03-03, 06:29 AM
DMAC
Driver School Candidate

Good point, I tend to agree. Even Lexus is not perfect. I may wait until the 2005 model. Since the 2004 model will last about six months longer than the standard year most bugs should be worked out by the 2005 model.
Old 02-03-03, 03:44 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

dchesanek, you don't quite see what I am saying. I am NOT comparing the quality of Honda vs. Lexus.

Some are worried about quality issues with the RX being produced in North America instead of Japan. My argument is that quality will not necessarily decrease with a Japanese model produced in North America giving the Accord as an example having improved it's quality ratings after moving production to North America.

If you still don't get it or want to disagree, fine, but don't continue arguing on the subject.

Last edited by LexRX; 02-03-03 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: I predict poor reliability for the new RX330