RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

08 RX 350 aftermarket Bluetooth stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-14, 03:07 PM
lingroup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 RX 350 aftermarket Bluetooth stereo system

I have a 2008 RX 350 with the Lexus premium audio system non-nav. I don't care that much to need nav, specially that I can just use my phone, I do however very much need bluetooth. Iv been trying to search these forums and others for options but feel a bit overwhelmed but what Im finding.

The geek in me would like to upgrade the sound system to something more new, like the systems that have the touch screens. The beatsonic is a bit confusing, not sure if Im reading whats been posted correctly, but it seems the beatsonic faceplate parts can disable other functions in the car and/or steering wheel. I want a bluetooth system that can also stream music from phones/ipod. A built in nav can be optional but not 100% needed.

What are other options that offer the clean replacement faceplate that beatsonic offers but without the hassle of losing potential functions of the car? Id like to find something as close to sound quality as a factory system install.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by lingroup; 02-04-14 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-04-14, 03:26 PM
gasconguy
Driver

Hey there. I am about to undertake pretty much the same thing, although no touch screen/DVD.

You can get a Metra dash kit for $21, but it's just the faceplate. I think the short answer to what you are looking for is the ADBOX1 - it will retain all the features you currently have, including allowing you to use the factory amp, if you actually want to.

My dilemma is that I am not sure if I need that ADBOX1, as I plan on not using the factory amp. I think I do need it however, and it is expensive. If you buy your stereo from Crutchfield, you can get it for around $87, which is "half price," but it is on Amazon for $130, and if you are buying your stereo on Amazon you will come close to saving the difference there, and even more if you buy your speakers/amps there. New speakers, in my opinion, are a must.

So, with the ADBOX1 and a remote steering wheel control module (ASWC - Metra), you can do what you need to do. What I did, all on Amazon:

JVC KW R900 BT - $150 ($140 right now) - Blue tooth, Pandora, iPhone and Android, 5V pre out
Pioneer 6.5 1875's I think - $50
Pioneer 5.25 (rear) - $36
Boss mono amp (sub) - $48
Metra Dash Kit - $21
ASWC1 - $50
4 Channel amp of your choosing (I already had one) - ?
Sub enclosure - already had one - ?

If I have to get the ADBOX1, I will be in for another $130, but overall that's not bad. There is also the TYTO wiring harness, and I am not clear on whether I need that as well, but I think it s only for the factory amp. I will visit with an installer next week to finalize what I need.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 02-04-14, 03:54 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, lingroup.

This is a topic well discussed previously here at CL. Best to just read the past experiences of others who have proceeded you down this path. You can get this to work, you just need to get the right parts from the right folks.

If you have a 2nd Generation RX and wish for a more modern upgrade, you can replace the existing cassette/CD/AM/FM receiver as done by alchemist, Carver, 1koolfella and others. For any of these systems you need to purchase the Double-Din faceplate along with the adapter cables to plug into the existing wiring harness and provide access to the steering wheel controls. First, you need to read Carver's writeup:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-dnx6960.html

Be sure to read all the way through this as there is also a writeup from 1koolfella who has a setup with the existing NAV. Not relevant to your situation, however, it is good material.

Then, Packrat1's writeup:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-installs.html

Finally, the cheapest receiver replacement would take the form of the following from CJG:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-with-nav.html

There is a post in that last thread from RX330iPad showing his setup. More of its start here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...em-coming.html

There is plenty more here at CL if you care to search.
Old 04-20-14, 11:41 PM
jstdo1t
Driver School Candidate

I have done the GROM kit myself on my 2008 RX350 and it took me half an hour and it works perfect. GROM have got video of HOW-To on their website and it's very easy. I installed the bluetooth option as well and now I can stream music from my iPhone and Samsung phones as well. You can use it to make phone calls also.