RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

18-inch tires on new RX330 maybe a problem in winter driving!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-03, 05:18 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 01VaporBlueRX
a set of 4 steel wheels would be about $175, and snow tires would be about $80-100. So thats about $495, but they will last a lot longer than one seasons use. Swapping wheels isnt very hard, you could just go down to a gas station and have them do it in about ten minutes.
You're absolutely right, this is the way to go, however when you buy an All Wheel Drive or 4 wheel drive truck, you expect it to do everything at anytime.

I'm one of those owners that will hold out into the last minute and try to get through that snow storm on my beautiful looking RX330 18's! I'll learn the hardway that if I do get stuck, then it's time to make the change to use an extra set of rims and snow tires in the winter.
Old 02-03-03, 05:45 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Hoosier brought up a very good point on those low profile 18-inch tires because AWD won't mean a thing if the tires lack traction in snowy condition or can't climb a small incline. Changing to a set of snow tires is not an option to many of us and besides they ruin the Lexus ride and generate much road noise. The other disadvantage with the 18 inch tires is the sacrifice of ride (firmer) and reduced tread life. I agree with Hoosier that Lexus is making a mistake of forcing customers to take the bigger 18 inch tires with the air suspension package. I for one want to stick with the standard 17-inch tires instead of getting the 18s because I want a set of tires that I can use year round.

Lexus, I hope you are reading this. Don't bundle the 18-inch tire with the air suspension package!!!
Old 02-03-03, 01:48 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

The look of the 17 is basically the only reason I would go for the 18s.
Attached Thumbnails 18-inch tires on new RX330 maybe a problem in winter driving!-wka2003010369668_pv.jpg  
Old 02-03-03, 01:51 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

I just don't think I could settle with the 17s when the 18s look much nicer.
Attached Thumbnails 18-inch tires on new RX330 maybe a problem in winter driving!-wka2003010369701_pv.jpg  
Old 02-03-03, 02:46 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Research

I am sure Lexus did its homework. I am confident that they would choose a tire for the RX that can handle snow. While it may still be considered low profile, I'm sure they'll choose the right tire design to tackle what all of us in suburbia may need. I am also quite sure that the dealer would be happy to swap on a set of 17's for you, should the 18's not prove to be sufficient in the white stuff. But who knows, maybe Lexus is going crazy and saying.. if BMW can do it with the X5, and Infiniti with the 20 inch wheels on the FX45, then hell, we can do it too!! But to me that doesn't seem very Lexus like. So just wait, don't jump to any conclusions. We won't really know until next winter. Because by the time the RX comes out I"m sure the snow will be long gone, hopefully!!
Old 02-04-03, 05:01 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down

My sister has a BMW X5 with the same 18" tires RX330 is offering and so far she has nothing but complaints about poor handling and slippage with her tires in winter driving. Her subdivision is up on a hill and if the roads are not cleared, she can't get up in her X5. BMW has offered to swap her low profile M+S 18" tires with a set of 17" higher profile M+S tires instead to give the X5 more bite. She said don't ever get the 18" tires unless you live in Florida or southern California or don't mind switching to a set of snow tires. I guess based on my sister's experience, I'm in agreement that I don't want the 18" tires nor do I want to see them bundled together with the air suspension package. Lexus should offer the 18s as a separate option which is fine but forcing the customers to have the 18s who are ordering the air suspension package is ludicrous.
Old 02-04-03, 08:12 AM
anonymous
Pit Crew

what makes tires have a low/high profile? how do you tell?
Old 02-04-03, 09:52 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow

anonymous, the second set of numbers on a tire after the slash, e.g. 235/55 indicates the "profile" or "height" of the sidewall. So, the lower the number, the lower the profile. Cars like Corvette or M5 may have a profile of 35 or 45. Generally speaking, 60 or lower is considered "low profile". Because of the low side wall height, you feel more road "bumps" and it is also highly prone to wheel rim damage if you hit a pot hole which is pretty common in the Midwest. My neighbor replaced two bent rims last Spring on his "low rider" truck which cost him a big bundle.
Old 02-04-03, 10:41 AM
DIP_RX
Driver School Candidate

Default I hope LEXUS has done it's Homework on these 18's

I just can't believe that Lexus would drop the ball on something like this when the RX300 is a huge seller in the North East with it's strongest selling point being a luxurious and soft riding vehicle w\ decent traction on the snow. Having 18 inch rims to me contradicts these points. Although the 235s are not too wide and you could have worse than 55s.

I was actually gonna post this question for the RX300 as my No so GoodYear tires are coming due for replacement and I am really interested in getting new Rims at least 17s if not 18s but this discussion is making me rethink the 18s (255/255)
Old 02-04-03, 01:09 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

thank YWW =)
i'm still quite surprised Lexus would have these wheels and I'm sure they would've considered it carefully. I'm just wondering if I could take the risk with those tires in the winter.
Old 02-04-03, 01:10 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

thanks rather
Old 02-04-03, 04:56 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by YWW
My sister has a BMW X5 with the same 18" tires RX330 is offering and so far she has nothing but complaints about poor handling and slippage with her tires in winter driving. Her subdivision is up on a hill and if the roads are not cleared, she can't get up in her X5. BMW has offered to swap her low profile M+S 18" tires with a set of 17" higher profile M+S tires instead to give the X5 more bite. She said don't ever get the 18" tires unless you live in Florida or southern California or don't mind switching to a set of snow tires. I guess based on my sister's experience, I'm in agreement that I don't want the 18" tires nor do I want to see them bundled together with the air suspension package. Lexus should offer the 18s as a separate option which is fine but forcing the customers to have the 18s who are ordering the air suspension package is ludicrous.
BMW even has those huge 19" wheels and 20" on the X5 4.6. Can you just imagine the problems in snow with those huge low-profile wheel / tire set. Larger rims make the car look better, that's for sure, but I guess you can't also have good winter traction at the same time. What to do????
Old 02-19-03, 04:54 AM
Hoosier
Driver School Candidate

Arrow

I talked to 2 Lexus dealers and a Lexus rep at the Chicago Car Show over the weekend on this 18-inch tire issue since they have a RX330 on display there. The Lexus rep said the reason the new RX offers the 18" tire as a Sports option is to compete directly with others like the BMW X5. Snow and slush handling capability on the 18s have nothing to do with the decision. Lexus is aware of numerous X5 owners complaining the poor handling on the 18s in winter driving but feels this is a "localized" problem which should be solved by the local dealer. However, bundling the 18s with the air suspension package is strictly a marketing call to make the package a "premium" (meaning more money). He said people can order the 18s separately but the current plan is when people order the air suspension package, the 18s will come with it. However, he encourages people to contact Lexus if customers feel strongly against this type of "bundling".

The 2 Chicago dealers I talked to afterwards are aware and concern of the 18-in tire limited M+S handling capability but agreed that Lexus should not bundle the 18s with the air suspension package. One dealer said they may swap out the 235/55HR 18s with something like a slightly higher profile (e.g. 225/65) 18s instead to give the tire more bite in the snow but while still maintaining the look of the 18s. That just may work!

One dealer said they have already presold 65 of the RX330 coming in April/May time frame and anticipate this new RX to be a very popular model. Discounting will be very minimal or non-existent initially.