RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Battery - Can't reset in normal ways - VERY messed up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 12:53 PM
tarnold
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Battery - Can't reset in normal ways - VERY messed up.

I've read the manual, and read so many threads that talk about reseting the windows after a battery swap. No resetting matches my symptoms.

The battery was out and back first to be tested. That left me with only the drivers window working. I couldn't operate the other 3 windows from the drivers seat or passengers.

Then a new battery last week. Now I have no way to unlock the hatch. No remote door lock/unlock.

I can't wind the windows up/down to reset like those other threads, since I don't have ability to move a window.

Have I just lost a control unit? Do I need a dealer visit? This car is now my 'airport' car and located in Duluth, MN. No Lexus dealer around, but there is a Toyota dealer.

Ideas?

Ta
Old 01-27-14, 01:12 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, tarnold.

All this is in your Owner's Manual.

If the battery is disconnected or run down

The following functions may not operate correctly when you reconnect or replace the battery. In these cases, you should do the each instructions referring on the following pages.
  • Power back door (See page 42.)
  • Power windows (See page 65.)
  • Moon roof (See page 131 or 134.)

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...6U/pdf/6-4.pdf
Old 01-27-14, 01:22 PM
tarnold
Driver School Candidate

Is the owners manual online? Is it the thickest book in the group? I thought I read it pretty good but didn't see anything other than the setting of the window up/down stops (mine don't operate at all). And, is the keyless also a reset item? The remote clicker doesn't work at all now.

Thank you for your help.

Tom
Old 01-27-14, 01:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tarnold
Is the owners manual online? Is it the thickest book in the group? I thought I read it pretty good but didn't see anything other than the setting of the window up/down stops (mine don't operate at all). And, is the keyless also a reset item? The remote clicker doesn't work at all now.

Thank you for your help.

Tom
Yes, the thickest manual. Yes, it is searchable online with Lexus. The PDF I linked to was actually the 2005 RX330 Owner's Manual section for your vehicle and not for mine. Start your searches here:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...nual-search.do

You need to go to each door separately and operate the switches there to reset. The back hatch needs to be opened manually and closed manually once to reset it.

As for your key fob, when was the last time you remember changing the battery in it? Uses a standard CR2016 coin style battery:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...6U/pdf/1-1.pdf

You may have other problems, however, the reset steps normally take care of most such problems.
Old 01-28-14, 04:52 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't have the child lock on for the windows do you?
Old 01-29-14, 10:10 AM
tarnold
Driver School Candidate

No. I thought of the child lock - but even if that was on, I think windows would operate from the drivers seat, right?

My wife and I are flying up to Duluth in about an hour. We are going to look in the manual again and try all the resets. And, if that doesn't work, she will try to get the Toyota folks to look at it.

The keys are actually NEW. The old ones were cracking and I just bought two new ones a few months ago. I've never had them go from working to dead, so i'm pretty sure its not the battery. I think I've got to reset a BUNCH of stuff.

Thanks to all,

Tom
Old 01-30-14, 06:02 AM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may be a stab in the dark but you could try disconnecting the battery again for about 30 minutes to reset the computer. Then the initialization process can be started from scratch.

The car's computer is like any computer in that sometimes a "reboot" is necessary.

I agree about the windows being reset in that each one has to be done individually for the driver's switches to then work. I think the manual is pretty clear about that.
Old 01-31-14, 03:48 PM
tarnold
Driver School Candidate

My wife and I just returned from Duluth. I was able to get the passenger window to work with the information everyone suggested. I still had her bring it to the Toyota place while I was working. Unfortunately, they only had a service writer help her, not a real technician.

He got one more window working (3 of 4 now) and the FOB now works to lock and unlock etc. They thought maybe the last window is froze?

I still have no hatch and we were too afraid to try the sun roof - since, if it didn't CLOSE again, the car would be worthless in Duluth! Its livable I guess.

They said I have to call Lexus from here... Wish a dealer was closer since I have a feeling its just a matter of doing a few little things to get that last mile! I did open/close the hatch manually, which was supposed to be the reset on that. But, no luck there.

Thanks for the help,

Tom