RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Update: Coolant Leak& WP/TB. New Project: Dashboard Crack

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 09:58 AM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update: Coolant Leak& WP/TB. New Project: Dashboard Crack

Hey Guys,

i finally got the coolant leak fixed and replaced TB/WP at 80K mile/121 month. TB/WP may be too early at this miles, but given the age of the car and for a peace of mind, i decided to get it done and not worry about TB snapping and damaging the engine for a few years.

All the mechanics i visited thought that the coolant leak was coming from the intake gasket (this leak is usual for all cars), but it turned out that it was coming somewhere else. It's really hard to explain where it is so i'm posting a pix. Even the lexus parts dept didn't have the part as it was really rare for this to leak and the mechanic (former Lexus tech) has never seen this on Lexus. So if you think the leak is coming from the intake gasket, take a second look.

BTW, special thanks to RX330inFL and alchemist for the insight. Much appreciated.

it's time to move onto my next project. Does anyone know a shop (or mobile) to fix this in Los Angeles area? A shop i called was going to charge $200 to come into his shop or $275 for mobile service. Not sure whether this is a fair price and I don't know the guy. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Update: Coolant Leak& WP/TB.  New Project: Dashboard Crack-securedownload.jpeg   Update: Coolant Leak& WP/TB.  New Project: Dashboard Crack-photo.jpg  
Old 01-24-14, 10:20 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

wow man that's crazy. thanks for posting a pic. How exactly was the shop going to fix the dash crack?
Old 01-24-14, 10:23 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are cracked dashes common on the RX models?
Do you park your car outdoors a lot?
Just wondering as I am looking to buy a used RX at this time.
Old 01-24-14, 10:29 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OceanView
Yes, very common. Something to look for when making a purchase on any used vehicle to be honest. Recommendation is to not use ArmorAll on the dash and instead use a product with a UV component such as 303 Aerospace protectant.
Old 01-24-14, 10:38 AM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alchemist
wow man that's crazy. thanks for posting a pic. How exactly was the shop going to fix the dash crack?
Have no clue, but said that they can restore it. They assured you won't see it was ever repaired, but don't buy that. I hear they use special needles/threads and cover it with some chemical. This is the shop in case you're interested.

https://www.facebook.com/MagicTouchAuto

Old 01-24-14, 10:41 AM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OceanView
well.. for the last 10 years, she rests inside the parking lot during and after work. I'm in Southern CA so that could be a huge factor as well and i live by the ocean.

the repair guy said it's frequent on many Lexus.
Old 01-24-14, 10:46 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sgmstr
it's time to move onto my next project. Does anyone know a shop (or mobile) to fix this in Los Angeles area? A shop i called was going to charge $200 to come into his shop or $275 for mobile service. Not sure whether this is a fair price and I don't know the guy. Any recommendations?
Best to look for an auto interiors shop in your area with good ratings. Anyone can put out a shingle and say they can fix stuff like this and just make a mess of things. To do it right you really want a new cover to be installed as in this example:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-in-my-rx.html
Old 01-24-14, 11:04 AM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Best to look for an auto interiors shop in your area with good ratings. Anyone can put out a shingle and say they can fix stuff like this and just make a mess of things. To do it right you really want a new cover to be installed as in this example:

good to know. Always appreciated. will update soon.
Old 01-24-14, 11:14 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Have no clue, but said that they can restore it. They assured you won't see it was ever repaired, but don't buy that. I hear they use special needles/threads and cover it with some chemical. This is the shop in case you're interested.
They do not have many reviews online, but their clientele seems to be to right type you would want them to have. Run by their shop for a look to see what they are working on to make sure the pictures are not just window dressing.

One concern I have is that you are likely to have more cracks in the dash over on the passenger side by the glovebox. If not now then in the future.
Old 01-24-14, 11:34 AM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
They do not have many reviews online, but their clientele seems to be to right type you would want them to have. Run by their shop for a look to see what they are working on to make sure the pictures are not just window dressing.

One concern I have is that you are likely to have more cracks in the dash over on the passenger side by the glovebox. If not now then in the future.
yes, it's gotten worse in the past few months.

I may want to look into replace the dash cover. One thing to note is that not many shops are willing to replace dash, because the dashcover also covers the airbag (unlike the cars in the 90s) which becomes a liability for them if airbag is incorrectly deployed or not deployed. all shops i called are not willing to replace, but will repair.

Looks like dealer may be the only option if i want it replaced.
Old 01-24-14, 11:46 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like dealer may be the only option if i want it replaced.
The dealership would just outsource the job and add a huge markup. The thread dealing the cracked dash looks good.

Last edited by Rainbird; 01-24-14 at 11:49 AM. Reason: removing the repeat URL
Old 01-24-14, 11:51 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rainbird
The dealership would just outsource the job and add a huge markup. Here is a thread dealing the cracked dash. The fix looks good.

Yea, that is the one I pointed to above. Unfortunately, the OP of that thread is in FL. No dealership is going to take this one directly and will farm it out to some interior shop. Much like any glass work.
Old 01-24-14, 11:57 AM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

That looks like a leak from one of the head gasket passages. Or possibly the thermostat gasket? I know the thermostat is located in the middle under the intake.
Old 01-24-14, 12:09 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

by the way, switching to Mobil 1 synthetic after seeing all the residues and I've changed oil every 5K miles or 6month with the grade recommended.
Old 01-24-14, 01:28 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be wary of having a spot repair done versus repairing the whole dash. My experience has been that I first developed a crack above the climate display and have subsequently developed cracks in various other places on the dash over the last three years.

I would not want to pay $200+ for a repair only to develop other cracks down the line.

Quick Reply: Update: Coolant Leak& WP/TB. New Project: Dashboard Crack