RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Does anyone have oozy greasy dashtop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-14, 10:02 PM
2Phast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still thinking about the upolstry idea

But also thinking about the passenger side airbag. I know they have a ton of force, should I worry about a fabric/leather cover on the dash (and therefore over the bag)?
Old 02-14-14, 07:00 AM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If any of you fellow floridians got your cars at JM Lexus, they may be the greasy culprit. When we bought our cpo 2008, the dash was slimy with something like armorall. Driving home the sunlight reflections off it were terrible. We tried to clean it without a lot of success, and eventually got JM to clean it all off -- we'd had to make the trip back there to have them correct a few other things anyway.
Old 02-14-14, 11:39 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kendig
If any of you fellow floridians got your cars at JM Lexus, they may be the greasy culprit. When we bought our cpo 2008, the dash was slimy with something like armorall. Driving home the sunlight reflections off it were terrible. We tried to clean it without a lot of success, and eventually got JM to clean it all off -- we'd had to make the trip back there to have them correct a few other things anyway.
I bought my car, new in 2009, at Lexus of Kendall. the problem only developed four to five years later. It is not a wax or a coating, it is the vinyl itself that is at fault....
Old 02-25-14, 01:50 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pauljcl
I bought my car, new in 2009, at Lexus of Kendall. the problem only developed four to five years later. It is not a wax or a coating, it is the vinyl itself that is at fault....
I have been waring people riding in my RX not to touch the dashtop (... great PR for Lexus, which has still not replied to my problem!), and he told me he had an Infinity on which the same thing happened (.. Hey! we are not alone!) and Infinity promptly replaced the dashboard at no cost to him.
Just saying.....
Old 02-25-14, 04:51 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Out of curiosity, is this happening with all three interior colors?
Old 02-25-14, 10:21 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
Isn't the top of the dash black in all interior colors?
Old 02-26-14, 04:18 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

My wife's 350 has the ivory interior which has a tan/brown dash pad. Do all the hybrids a black dash pad?
Old 02-26-14, 08:38 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

its not a florida problem...its a sun problem. This happens to 80 % (5 of my friends have rx300 between 2003 and 2005....4 have this issue and the 5th i feel will have it in a year as his is the newest car) of them. We are in Hong Kong and the only thing i guess is that Lexus cannot sell these cars where the sun shines.....
Old 02-26-14, 09:27 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RuninRoach
its not a florida problem...its a sun problem. This happens to 80 % (5 of my friends have rx300 between 2003 and 2005....4 have this issue and the 5th i feel will have it in a year as his is the newest car) of them. We are in Hong Kong and the only thing i guess is that Lexus cannot sell these cars where the sun shines.....
I agree. It hardly 'oozes' in the heat, but does so liberally when the sun hits it, even when the A/C is on. Inferior materials and inferior testing.
Old 02-27-14, 02:11 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

sucks that its fixed in models a year or two on...and then they refuse to acknowledge it and give a recall.
Old 02-27-14, 08:16 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RuninRoach
sucks that its fixed in models a year or two on...and then they refuse to acknowledge it and give a recall.
1. Yes, it does 'suck', and 2. my model is 2009 - you would think they would have fixed it by then. Hasn't happened with my other (German) cars....
Old 02-28-14, 10:58 PM
2Phast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Color

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
My dash is Black...
Old 02-28-14, 11:48 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl
Though I have cleaned it repeatedly with Windex and the like

I am going to scold you a bit here for this . . .

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE WINDEX OR ANY PRODUCT WITH AMMONIA IN IT ON A PLASTIC PART!!!!!

I have friend who works in the plastics industry, making plastic interior trim parts/dash parts for Ford, Nissan, Toyota, GM, etc. He says using windex or other ammonia based cleaners will cause the plastic on dash tops and other trim to fade/discolor/take on a whitish hue. He has constantly advised manufacturers to deny warranty claims if the owner admitted using windex on plastic parts.

Not saying that is what caused your problem, because it clearly looks like a quality control problem from Lexus. Just saying it might have exacerbated the problem, ie your dash looks cruddy in 3-4 years instead of 5-6 years.
Old 03-01-14, 06:55 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I've detailed several vehicles that had a sticky or gummy dash. I think this is caused by the vinyl plasticizers degrading and leaching out in the sun and heat. These plasticizers are the substance that makes the vinyl flexible and avoids cracking as it expands and contracts with temperature changes. Remember the dash temp can be sub zero or as high as 180 F.

I've personally seen this issue on Toyotas, Nissans and Chryslers. I've never seen it in a mid-west vehicle so the higher angle of the sun and heat of the south are likely triggers. I'd encourage those living in the south to use sun shields or park in a shaded or covered area whenever you can. May help, can't hurt and dash replacement is quite expensive.

There are a number of people reporting this issue and I hope Toyota/Lexus will put some effort into determining the cause and stand behind the issue as I believe this to be a materials problem. Perhaps if everyone affected contacted Lexus corporate, it might trigger further analysis and examination of their warranty policy.

I doubt this issue arises often while the vehicle is still under warranty so the dealers are likely not anxious to do much about it other than cleaning it. The cleaning is removing the very substance that is preventing cracking so it is not a satisfactory long term solution, IMO.

I see this as a materials problem and I encourage everyone who has this issue this to report it to both your dealer and to Lexus Corporate. Get a case number from corporate. (1-800-255-3987)
Old 03-01-14, 02:24 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I am going to scold you a bit here for this . . .

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE WINDEX OR ANY PRODUCT WITH AMMONIA IN IT ON A PLASTIC PART!!!!!

I have friend who works in the plastics industry, making plastic interior trim parts/dash parts for Ford, Nissan, Toyota, GM, etc. He says using windex or other ammonia based cleaners will cause the plastic on dash tops and other trim to fade/discolor/take on a whitish hue. He has constantly advised manufacturers to deny warranty claims if the owner admitted using windex on plastic parts.

Not saying that is what caused your problem, because it clearly looks like a quality control problem from Lexus. Just saying it might have exacerbated the problem, ie your dash looks cruddy in 3-4 years instead of 5-6 years.

I used Windex (without ammonia) because the dash was oozy greasy. The ooziness and grease pre-dated the use of Windex by months. If you read through these posts, it seems obvious that Lexus has an inferior material problem. Whether they will own up to it is another matter.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have oozy greasy dashtop?