RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rattling and snow questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 09:20 AM
mortey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling and snow questions

Hello all!

I have a few questions about my RX and was wondering if you guys could help.

1) I am moving to an area where it gets snow often and I have only driven in snow once, not with the Lexus. I was wondering what people's experience with the RX was driving in the snow? I found some threads talking about their experience but their cars had AWD and mine is just the regular FWD. I know I need good tires but is there anything else?

2) I have a ton of rattling in my car and it only has 60k miles. I bought it at 55k miles. Anyways, the moonroof rattles and I was told that it might need a new seal around the edges but I'm unsure. There is a ton of wind noise and it rattles often. I will try the seal and see what happens. Has anyone had experience with that?

3) There are squeaking/rattling sounds coming from behind the driver's seat constantly. I think I pinpointed it to the back seat, maybe in the middle, but no matter how much I shake the seat or try to mess with the seatbelts, I can't seem to replicate it. I also checked the hatch and it seems totally sturdy. Checked the spare and it's securely in there as well as the tools in the covered area.

4) I have dash rattle. I notice it's really bad when it's under 60 degrees for some reason. It's coming from center, left, and right areas of the dash. Does anyone have any idea how much this might cost for lexus to take off the dash and check it out?

5) Driver seat rattling. It's not as much rattling as I guess creaking? I know it's the seat because when I'm driving and it happens, I push back into the seat and it stops. As soon as I relax it goes back. Can't replicate it when the car isn't moving.

Thanks all for your help!
Old 12-14-13, 04:58 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mortey
Hello all!

1) I am moving to an area where it gets snow often and I have only driven in snow once, not with the Lexus. I was wondering what people's experience with the RX was driving in the snow? I found some threads talking about their experience but their cars had AWD and mine is just the regular FWD. I know I need good tires but is there anything else?

Four words: four snow tires.

2) I have a ton of rattling in my car and it only has 60k miles. I bought it at 55k miles. Anyways, the moonroof rattles and I was told that it might need a new seal around the edges but I'm unsure. There is a ton of wind noise and it rattles often. I will try the seal and see what happens. Has anyone had experience with that?

I do have that but don't want to spend any money on it. During the winter months when I never open it, I stick a few folded napkin on where the rattle is.:-)

Thanks all for your help!
Let us know how you fix those.
Old 12-14-13, 05:31 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mortey
Hello all!

This is more a question about your capabilities than it is of the RX. When I am in PA, like now, I routinely drive on hilly backroads which have not been plowed and can easily handle six (6) inches of snow in my RX which is also FWD. I have the Bridgestone Alenza tires which have served me well. I grew up in PA, traveled all over, and over my many years I have been able to drive numerous FWD, RWD, 4WD and AWD vehicles in some very bad weather. One thing I have learned is that AWD does not make you a better driver. In bad conditions sometimes it is just a good idea to stay home. Don't drive in conditions over your capabilities.

What you need to do is to get time and experience driving in those conditions. Go out to the local mall before they have had a chance to clear the snow and experiment slipping and sliding around. There is also a chance depending on where you are moving that the FWD RX is not the vehicle to have. Even the AWD RX is not all that capable, IMO, in the bad stuff. There are reasons why vehicles such Jeep and the AWD GX are better in bad conditions due to their dual-range transfer cases.

Would also talk to those in the area you are moving, such as the local police department, about the road conditions in that area during the snows. Get their ideas, see what the folks there are driving, etc. If they are good about plowing the necessary roads for your travels then you may be fine most of the time as long as your tires have decent tread on them. Otherwise, you might consider purchasing a set of wheels and snow tires for use when needed. Go with 17" if you can. Nokian would be a good brand to look at for snow tires.

Finally, how is public transportation in the area you are moving? Always a good backup plan if you can take advantage of it.
Old 12-14-13, 05:32 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That many rattles are very unusual, what year is your RX? Without AWD in snow country or mountains you should carry chains.
Old 12-14-13, 05:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Without AWD in snow country or mountains you should carry chains.
Yes, and in some areas they are mandatory regardless of what you have.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ChainRequire.pdf
Old 12-14-13, 08:24 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Yes, and in some areas they are mandatory regardless of what you have.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ChainRequire.pdf
Absolutely spot on. A close friend of mine has a condo at Lake Tahoe. He has a AWD Toyota Highlander. We go up there each winter and have needed chains about half the time. The CHP doesn't play games. If you don't have chains they make you turn around and go home or buy some and try again.
Old 12-14-13, 10:44 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Absolutely spot on. A close friend of mine has a condo at Lake Tahoe. He has a AWD Toyota Highlander. We go up there each winter and have needed chains about half the time. The CHP doesn't play games. If you don't have chains they make you turn around and go home or buy some and try again.
I remember it from a time in the mountains near Plumas. That was the last time I had to mess with them. Believe some of our friends from Canada here at CL have mentioned the need for them on several occasions as a mandatory item.
Old 12-14-13, 10:54 PM
mortey
Driver School Candidate

That many rattles are very unusual, what year is your RX? Without AWD in snow country or mountains you should carry chains.
I have a 2004 RX 330 with just shy of 60,000 miles. I suspect it's because the car was originally a loaner car for Beverly Hills Lexus and people drive their loaners like crap. But it could just be a fluke.

As for the moonroof, I wish I knew exactly where the rattling and stuff is coming from. There is also a ton of wind noise so I suspect the whole moonroof needs a seal, or at least I have no specific idea where it's coming from.

The area I am moving to, from what I understand, gets a ton of yearly snowfall so it seems their snow trucks are on point. I'm pretty sure I have all season tires. Do I need to change them out specifically for snow when it comes?

I do have a question about chains: when do you know you need to use them? Do you use it everytime there is snow or just certain snow levels?
Old 12-16-13, 11:53 AM
Denvermgb
Rookie

Most accidents or rollovers I see in the mtns of Colorado are 4 wheel or AWD vehicles. People think they can push the limits and drive faster because of AWD - not true. You must use caution when you drive in snowy and icy conditions. OK, my sermon is over. You should do well with decent all-season tires but since you are FWD, you might look at doing snows on all four wheels, and get cables, not chains. Practice putting the cables on in your neighborhood before you get in a real snowy or dangerous location and HAVE to put them on. Good luck and be careful!
Old 12-16-13, 04:14 PM
DavidTB
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you sure it's the moonroof? You might want to check the roof rack crossbar. They are adjustable and might be loose. I had that happen on my Rodeo.