RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-14, 12:01 PM
gasconguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is yes, the adbox will allow everything to keep working properly.

When he said he lost voice to navigation, he meant whatever voice control and/or audible response from the nav that he used to have (I don't have it so I don't know it's capabilities).
Old 10-09-14, 01:17 PM
Bobomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gasconguy
My understanding is yes, the adbox will allow everything to keep working properly.

When he said he lost voice to navigation, he meant whatever voice control and/or audible response from the nav that he used to have (I don't have it so I don't know it's capabilities).
And that's the rub... I could probably stand to lose being able to talk to the navigation, as the feature is almost useless. But I really need the navigation to speak to me.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-12-14, 09:35 AM
Bobomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I sent an email to crutchfield. One thing I noticed is that on the configuration tool they have, you can't select a Mark Levinson system with navigation, so I've asked them if that's because they don't support it, or because the two were not available separately from the factory. Either way, you'd think that they'd indicate it.

My only other option is the Vaistech SL3B for not much cheaper. I already tried the Audiovox Mediabridge product and it did not work well, so my preference would be to just get a head unit that supports Bluetooth audio natively.
Old 10-12-14, 10:00 AM
gasconguy
Driver

Honestly, and I am sure you are not into this, but I would rip it all out and go totally aftermarket. Then if you sell you can put it back in, but if you do it that way you will have your perfectly functioning NAV, plus Bluetooth, plus a great system, and stereo stuff is so cheap right now... so cheap.
Old 10-23-14, 02:22 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I am dropping it off today for the full install - HU, 4 door speakers (no components), 4 ch amp and a mono amp for sub. They had no hesitation in saying that I do not need the ADBOX1 or the TYTO harness - they did say something about a regular Toyota harness, but the TYTO ain't cheap and I assume, because they didn't build it into the quote, that the one they will use is different... I will update.

BTW - if anyone needs an original HU or amp, let me know. Again, no ML, no Nav. Cheers.
Your driving style mirrors mine as I commute several hours a day and am looking at doing a total aftermarket install on my 2009 RX350. No Nav or M&L. I feel fortunate! But on the flip side it's NOT cheap! So your right on that count. This is what I'm in for materials wise while keeping the stock stereo HU.
Sound deadening cargo area & doors 80 sq ft. $400
Jl Audio 6 Chanel amp $400 (OR Arc audio 1200/6 $740.)
Focal 3 way component set $700
Digital sound processor. Audio control i6 $340
Grom Blue tooth $240
Not including labor.
Optional equipment
Head unit. Ugh. $400-$1300 which in that case I can eliminate several items above that I purchased al a carte.
Aya! Never thought this would get to these price points.
Old 10-24-14, 02:29 PM
gasconguy
Driver

The labor is expensive, but as you know the components are wide ranging in cost. Also, think about your commute - do you listen to a bunch pf podcasts like I do? Do you really need DSP? I get it - it's sound, highly subjective. I built mine for sound quality, and while it gets loud, that wasn't the main goal.

Question though, why spend $240 on Bluetooth AND keep the HU? My head unit with Bluetooth was $140... yes it's not spectacular but it is fully functional... just curious.
Old 10-24-14, 09:18 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

The labor is expensive, but as you know the components are wide ranging in cost. Also, think about your commute - do you listen to a bunch pf podcasts like I do? Do you really need DSP? I get it - it's sound, highly subjective. I built mine for sound quality, and while it gets loud, that wasn't the main goal.

Question though, why spend $240 on Bluetooth AND keep the HU? My head unit with Bluetooth was $140... yes it's not spectacular but it is fully functional... just curious.
I can to that exact same conclusion Gascon. I'm going to install either a Pioneer Nex or JVC NX. The reason is future upgrade ability with back up camera, BT(as you pointed out) has Nav, etc. "Cheaper" in the long run. I'll also be installing Focals or Dynaudio.
What gets me is the gent at Rolling Audio was adamant that I had to have a Beatsonic harnes but I told him I neither have Nav or M&L. He wouldn't do it otherwise. Sigh.
So reading through this thread and seeing your success if I'm tearing EVERYTHING out why do I need anything but the faceplate? Oh and the steering wheel control axxcess harness.

Looks like Phantom on page 4 did exactly what I would be doing thus need the following..
I used:
- Metra Axxess ASWC steering wheel control
- Metra Lexus 04-09 DIN and DDIN MOUNTING KIT
- Metra Axxess TYTO-01
- Esky EC170-08 Camera - didn't install yet still waiting on delivery.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 10-24-14 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-25-14, 08:05 AM
gasconguy
Driver

He probably makes good money with the Beatsonic... who knows but if he won't do it without def go somewhere else.
Old 10-25-14, 03:04 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

He probably makes good money with the Beatsonic... who knows but if he won't do it without def go somewhere else.
Your reading my intentions exactly It's a done deal. I went to Paradyme audio here in Sacramento and was given a very competitive quote. I'll be dropping off the suv Thursday and pick it up Saturday. It's a three day job.
Installing Kenwood Dnx 691HD
JL Audio XD 600/6
Parking sensors
Alpine back up camera
Hushmat doors
JL audio 8" subwoofer & prefab ported box
Audio contriol DQ6( Was offered the Audison bit ten for $200 more)

The shop was nominated #1 four years in a row and I like the fact they use Metra and know about the 9 & 10 pin etc. Keeping the stock speakers as they are a solid C+ and will upgrade at a later date. Excited!

( I do apologise for not having anything to contribute install wise to the thread.)

Last edited by rxonmymind; 10-25-14 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-26-14, 06:14 AM
proudpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So I'm trying to track all of this, and now I've gotten all confused. I own a 2007 RX400H with navigation but not Mark Levinson. If I got with the RX-82 from Beatsonic I lose fader and some steering wheel controls.

To get these back, can I still do the RX-82 and just install a new amp and everything will be good with the old speakers?

Does the Beatsonic still use the built in microphone and gps antenna?

I'm trying to do this install myself, but it is looking more and more like I would have to gut the RX to install a new double din unit that works with all the features it comes with.

Thank You for any and all input.
Old 10-27-14, 11:15 AM
gasconguy
Driver

The stock head unit only has a right and left signal that it sends. So a new amp won't help with fade. But if you get a new HU, I think you will be better off. New HU has nav, you can put in a new amp, won't need the Beatsonic and can get the Metra faceplate for $20.

Personally I think the $700 or so (depending on who does it) for the install is more than worth it. But I sure as hell wouldn't go to Best Buy or Car Toys, that's just me.
Old 10-27-14, 11:54 AM
proudpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The stock head unit only has a right and left signal that it sends. So a new amp won't help with fade. But if you get a new HU, I think you will be better off. New HU has nav, you can put in a new amp, won't need the Beatsonic and can get the Metra faceplate for $20.

Personally I think the $700 or so (depending on who does it) for the install is more than worth it. But I sure as hell wouldn't go to Best Buy or Car Toys, that's just me.
If I do that, I lose the top screen completely though right? Wasn't there something about the amp powers a few systems as well?
Old 10-27-14, 01:52 PM
gasconguy
Driver

I don't know about the nav other than if you do anything at all, you will probably lose the voice portion of the nav - but I'm not clear if the ADBOX1 preserves that - it might.

I don't think you would lose the top screen - does it display your climate settings and such? At any rate, someone who specializes in installations - not Best Buy - can help you figure it out. Also, others around here have had nav and done upgrades, so look around here.
Old 10-27-14, 04:07 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The AX-Adbox1 will keep your fade front to back. I just put mine up for sale in the classifieds. I ordered it and they TYT0-01 and they both do basically the same thing. The Adbox1 I think works better with Navi and other things. But you'll need to buy the AX-ADTY01, which is 20 bucks at Fry's or online.
Old 10-28-14, 01:56 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

They have a booth in a recent Lexus event.....

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/all-toy.html

Quick Reply: Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?