RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 03:02 PM
gasconguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Missed your last post Ho0n. Yeah, I did my last install, also wire my own cables and pickups (!), etc. I am no expert but I find car stereos easy. The thing that I want to know - because at the very least I will be buying all the stuff online, if not installing it myself - is what all I need that will work. I have:

2007 RX350
No Navi
No ML
No RES

I want to replace the head unit, amp, and speakers. Probably no sub, but may run a connection in order to add a powered sub later, but maybe not.

I guess my most serious dunno is what will I lose if I do not do the ADBOX1 - I don't care about seat belt chimes, etc. But will I lose my 4-way adjustable steering wheel?!?!? (i.e.) I don't want to spend $100 for ADBOX1 if all it does it keep original sounds. Could care less.

So, what do I need to replace all factory stuff, and not lose any functionality other than noises? Hope that is clear. Thanks! GCG
Old 01-08-14, 02:03 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Gascon, the ADBOX is the "router" for the harness. You need to purchase the ADBOX1 with the TYTO-1 in order to complete your harness system.
Old 01-08-14, 03:08 PM
gasconguy
Driver

Well, that sucks. Thanks.
Old 01-09-14, 05:40 AM
Antolope
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ho0n
Gascon, the ADBOX is the "router" for the harness. You need to purchase the ADBOX1 with the TYTO-1 in order to complete your harness system.
That's what I needed Ho0n! cause I tried installing my HU with this setup first:

1) Metra Axxess ASWC-1 UNIVERSAL STEERING WHEEL CONTROL
2) Metra 70-8114 Steering Wheel Control Harness (So I don't have to splice into the OEM harness)
3) PIONEER AVH-X3500BHS AVH-X4500BT PARKING BRAKE BYPASS
and
4) METRA 70-8113 LEXUS-TOYOTA AMP INTERGRATION HARNESS (which promised to "Retain the factory amplifier')
5) Plus the Metra 99-8159S (met-998159s) Select Lexus RX Double DIN Installation Dash Kit the fascia of course.

Well, when I got in there I noticed I had 3 plugs to the back of my radio not just 2. The last plug must be the Navi and Climate Controls cause I lost both! That's when I started looking for the Beat-Sonic RX-82 and got massive sticker shock. Found the ADBOX for $80 something bucks and thought no brainer. And What I needed to know was if this was the Beat-Sonic equivalent that would give me my Navi and climate controls back and it sounds like it is. Yes?
Old 01-09-14, 10:02 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Antolope
That's what I needed Ho0n! cause I tried installing my HU with this setup first:

1) Metra Axxess ASWC-1 UNIVERSAL STEERING WHEEL CONTROL
2) Metra 70-8114 Steering Wheel Control Harness (So I don't have to splice into the OEM harness)
3) PIONEER AVH-X3500BHS AVH-X4500BT PARKING BRAKE BYPASS
and
4) METRA 70-8113 LEXUS-TOYOTA AMP INTERGRATION HARNESS (which promised to "Retain the factory amplifier')
5) Plus the Metra 99-8159S (met-998159s) Select Lexus RX Double DIN Installation Dash Kit the fascia of course.

Well, when I got in there I noticed I had 3 plugs to the back of my radio not just 2. The last plug must be the Navi and Climate Controls cause I lost both! That's when I started looking for the Beat-Sonic RX-82 and got massive sticker shock. Found the ADBOX for $80 something bucks and thought no brainer. And What I needed to know was if this was the Beat-Sonic equivalent that would give me my Navi and climate controls back and it sounds like it is. Yes?
Hey Antolope!

I don't know if Navi and Climate is related to this, but I also noticed the third jack. I couldn't remember if I had a third plug somewhere that just fell into the console, so I searched and searched, but there was nothing there for me with a basic-level radio. It's possible this is a connection for Navi. You should really search on the Axxess website because they have a drop-down menu to specify your info/AV setup, which I can only surmise means there are unique instructions for each. If your search doesn't turn anything up, then I'd be glad to try and search online with you!
Old 01-10-14, 06:22 AM
Antolope
10th Gear

Thanks Ho0n, I really appreciate the offer but I think the adbox was the missing link, I'll keep you all posted (I purchased that along with the extra Axxess AX-ADTY01 ADBOX Stereo Installation Harness. It connects to the ASWC-1 box so that I don't loose my steering controls and has all three plugs for a clean install like a wanted).

The not so funny thing was that when I put all my specs into the Crutchfield site, it came up that the head unit had to be installed with either the adbox1 OR the TYTO-01. It would not allow me to pick both. And thinking I only had 2 plugs on the back of my radio, I chose neither (cause I had purchased the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel adaptor with the Metra 70-8114 harness and that was one adapter plug, and the second plug came from the Metra 70-8113 supposed Amp bypass. So this made up my two connectors.)

So when I got my stuff, I connected and soldered everything up like the instructions said, pulled the OEM HU and saw the 3 plugs all plugged in to the back of the OEM HU. Thought huh , but I unplugged the 3 from the OEM HU and plugged the two I had along with the antenna to the new HU. That's when I saw I lost my Navi and Climate Controls.

So back on to the forums I went. Read most of Carver's and 1koolfella's stuff again and while I loved and appreciated their write ups (if you're around guys, lots of props and respect go out to you both), I couldn't for the life of me figure out if that Beat-Sonic RX-82 was absolutely necessary, or even if there was an alternative (cause of the sticker shock on the Beat-Sonic, lol.)

That's when I found your stuff and after some further research came to the conclusion that that's what Crutchfield was talking about and the adbox must be the alternative (way cheaper alternative) to the Beat-Sonic RX-82.

So I'm about to put that all into practice this weekend and see how I do (that's if I can keep the wife from wrangling me to do stuff ).

Now, I know this has all been documented elsewhere with pics by the greats that have come before me but I'll do the same in the event there's one person out there I can help with the "need beat-sonic vs. don't need beat-sonic vs. the alternative adbox1" thing.

Thanks again for the offer Ho0n!
Old 01-17-14, 01:32 PM
Antolope
10th Gear

Well,,,,, I hope with this post I can save someone who would like to try an aftermarket radio install on a 2nd Gen RX with NAV, a lot of headache and possibly some money in unnecessary parts.

Whether you have the ML or the Premium Non-ML setup in your RX,,,, if you have built in NAV, the results are the same. You cannot install an aftermarket HU and keep your NAV/Climate controls unless you use the Beat-Sonic RX-82 Harness (and believe me, I've searched countless hours) this is the only harness that will plug into the 12 PIN connector that Lexus uses to connect the NAV/Climate Control Screen to the OEM HU. I have come to this conclusion after much research and trial and error with different products.

My final setup ended up being this:

1) Metra Axxess ASWC-1 UNIVERSAL STEERING WHEEL CONTROL along with
3) Metra Axxess AX-ADBOX1 Factory Integration Adapter (integrates the OEM amp) along with
4) Metra Amp Axxess ADBOX Harness (So I don't have to splice)
5) PIONEER AVH-X3500BHS AVH-X4500BT PARKING BRAKE BYPASS
6) Plus the Metra 99-8159S (met-998159s) Select Lexus RX Double DIN Installation Dash Kit the fascia of course.

After soldering all of this stuff together and testing it in the car,,,,, everything having to do with the new HU worked flawlessly including steering controls. I had the biggest smile on my face till I saw I had lost Nav and climate controls again. I realized the 12 Pin connector Ho0n and I have been talking about that still had no place to go.

Apparently Toyota (Lexus) uses a 12 Pin plug that connects the NAV/Climate Control screen to something called the AVC-LAN (Audio Video Communication - Local Area Network) which is imbedded in the OEM HU. From what I understand, the Beat-Sonic RX-82 is the only thing out there right now that can replace (or act as) that AVC-LAN.

The sad part is that the price of this thing seems to have gone up quite a bit and at the Beat-Sonic website it is listed for almost $400. Ouch!!!! So in my case I could have forgone the ADBOX1, the Metra faceplate, and used the Beat-Sonic kit (which comes with the face plate) along with the ASWC-1, and I would've been golden. More expensive but the only way to go. Now I've lost money on the Metra face plate and the adbox1 cause I'll need to use the Beat-Sonic kit instead of those.

I hope this helps someone out there. Remember This is only for RXs with built-in NAV.
Old 01-18-14, 02:14 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OH WOW ANTOLOPE

It's been almost 2 years since my install and I have the navigation with my vehicle and my how things change so quickly. I still have the beatsonic kit and have not had any issues with it. At that time Beatsonic was going through it's growing pains just like many electronic companies but they finally release a product that worked. Being Club Lexus sponsor and great support they were the one I went with. Also you may want to write to them see if there's a discount and that you're a member of Club Lexus. You can also check the vendor market place or E-bay for the beatsonic harness for a better price.

I thought there were people that gotten the Metra Kit to work or went to an auto sound place and they got it to work.

Either way Antolope, I hope this will work out for you when you get the Beatsonic kit. If I decide to change my head unit, I may do another write up (the AVH-P8400bh doesn't support SIRI) . I'm still using the AWSC and upgraded the firmware and it's working flawlessly.
Old 01-18-14, 06:05 PM
Antolope
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
OH WOW ANTOLOPE

It's been almost 2 years since my install and I have the navigation with my vehicle and my how things change so quickly. I still have the beatsonic kit and have not had any issues with it. At that time Beatsonic was going through it's growing pains just like many electronic companies but they finally release a product that worked. Being Club Lexus sponsor and great support they were the one I went with. Also you may want to write to them see if there's a discount and that you're a member of Club Lexus. You can also check the vendor market place or E-bay for the beatsonic harness for a better price.

I thought there were people that gotten the Metra Kit to work or went to an auto sound place and they got it to work.

Either way Antolope, I hope this will work out for you when you get the Beatsonic kit. If I decide to change my head unit, I may do another write up (the AVH-P8400bh doesn't support SIRI) . I'm still using the AWSC and upgraded the firmware and it's working flawlessly.
Hey 1koolfella,

Thanks for chiming in, like I said earlier some of the stuff that you and other guys like carver have done inspire us all. Thanks for sharing the knowledge. Speaking of which I'm gonna try and repay some of that knowledge back by posting something I came up with just today.

So yeah I was pretty upset when I figured out I needed the Beat-Sonic unit for a couple of reasons, 1) I had already gone all out on Axxess stuff and 2) I'm doing 2 of these! Yup the wife and I have his and hers RX400h's (All you guys out there reading this, spare me the lame comments lol). So when my wife found out what I was doing, she wanted the same on hers, and if you're married, you know how that goes.

So at this point I'm thinking $800 on Beat-Sonic stuff on top of what I'm in for already,,, no way!!!! and I almost gave up. That is till I read on a post somewhere here in the forums, that someone (can't remember who) had plugged that 1 plug into the radio and without anything else got all his functions back. So I went out to the car, pulled my HU, popped the plugs, and sure enough leaving that third plug in without the other two brought everything back. And I got an idea

Not sure what the guys on here are gonna say about this but I did it and it works and I'm happy with it. I looked up how much one of those OEM HU would go for on eBay and saw prices as low as $250 (sold). So I thought what the heck, if I ever wanna put ther original one back in I'll buy one on eBay. Where am I going with this???? I Pulled my HU and took it apart! I kept going till I got to the board and put that in what was left of the cage, ran that stupid connector to the glove box and drop it in there. No one knows it's in there but me. This gave me all my stuff back, saved me $800 in Beat-Sonic parts, and allowed me to use what I already had without spending an additional red cent.

Now, I did loose sound to the NAV and that was expected, I think with a little ingenuity, I can get it back. But in the end. I got the clean install I wanted without having to shell out an additional $800 bucks to Beat-Sonic. The Bluetooth hands free sound soooo awesome (a million times better than the 5 y/o OEM connection), The iphone 5s connectivity is superb, and the Siruis satellite radio is great. I still have to run the Sirius antenna and the Bluetooth MIC but I'm pretty much done. Here's some pics of what I did to the OEM HU and what the job looks like done. I finished late so they are nighttime pics.
Attached Thumbnails Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-img_0120.jpg   Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-img_0133.jpg   Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-img_0142.jpg  
Old 01-19-14, 05:26 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

So glad to hear that worked out for you! I love when a little elbow grease-type work gets the job done.

Hey 1koolfella,

Thanks for chiming in, like I said earlier some of the stuff that you and other guys like carver have done inspire us all. Thanks for sharing the knowledge. Speaking of which I'm gonna try and repay some of that knowledge back by posting something I came up with just today.

So yeah I was pretty upset when I figured out I needed the Beat-Sonic unit for a couple of reasons, 1) I had already gone all out on Axxess stuff and 2) I'm doing 2 of these! Yup the wife and I have his and hers RX400h's (All you guys out there reading this, spare me the lame comments lol). So when my wife found out what I was doing, she wanted the same on hers, and if you're married, you know how that goes.

So at this point I'm thinking $800 on Beat-Sonic stuff on top of what I'm in for already,,, no way!!!! and I almost gave up. That is till I read on a post somewhere here in the forums, that someone (can't remember who) had plugged that 1 plug into the radio and without anything else got all his functions back. So I went out to the car, pulled my HU, popped the plugs, and sure enough leaving that third plug in without the other two brought everything back. And I got an idea

Not sure what the guys on here are gonna say about this but I did it and it works and I'm happy with it. I looked up how much one of those OEM HU would go for on eBay and saw prices as low as $250 (sold). So I thought what the heck, if I ever wanna put ther original one back in I'll buy one on eBay. Where am I going with this???? I Pulled my HU and took it apart! I kept going till I got to the board and put that in what was left of the cage, ran that stupid connector to the glove box and drop it in there. No one knows it's in there but me. This gave me all my stuff back, saved me $800 in Beat-Sonic parts, and allowed me to use what I already had without spending an additional red cent.

Now, I did loose sound to the NAV and that was expected, I think with a little ingenuity, I can get it back. But in the end. I got the clean install I wanted without having to shell out an additional $800 bucks to Beat-Sonic. The Bluetooth hands free sound soooo awesome (a million times better than the 5 y/o OEM connection), The iphone 5s connectivity is superb, and the Siruis satellite radio is great. I still have to run the Sirius antenna and the Bluetooth MIC but I'm pretty much done. Here's some pics of what I did to the OEM HU and what the job looks like done. I finished late so they are nighttime pics.
Old 01-27-14, 07:50 AM
gasconguy
Driver

You guys are gonna hate me, but I am still not clear about the adbox1 - it seems like I have to have it, but all I hear it being related to is NAV, which I don't have.

What is the purpose of the adbox1 specifically, especially compared to the TYTO harness...?

I am bypassing the factory amp completely - new HU, two amps, 4 speakers, and a sub. No ML, no NAV... thanks.
Old 01-28-14, 01:35 PM
Antolope
10th Gear

Originally Posted by gasconguy
You guys are gonna hate me, but I am still not clear about the adbox1 - it seems like I have to have it, but all I hear it being related to is NAV, which I don't have.

What is the purpose of the adbox1 specifically, especially compared to the TYTO harness...?

I am bypassing the factory amp completely - new HU, two amps, 4 speakers, and a sub. No ML, no NAV... thanks.
Hey gasconguy,

Again, I'm no expert, but I'm good at figuring stuff out. According to what I've read thus far,,,, the TYTO-01 is simply a turn on mechanism for the OEM AMP. The ADBOX1 brings a bit more in the sense that not only will it allow you to use the OEM AMP but also allows you to keep a few more of the OEM bells and whistles.

Since you don't have the NAV and you're not keeping any of the stock OEM items (HU, Speakers, AMP) my assumption is your re-wiring to replace all of those and therefore don't need any of it (ADBOX1 or TYTO-01).

Again the assumption is that you can't use the OEM harness (or at least not the connectors) for any of the aftermarket stuff and are gonna have to re-wire. If you have to rewire,,,,, you don't need adapters for the OEM stuff. So no (ADBOX1 or TYTO-01).

I hope I'm following you correctly. Anyone else wanna chime in?
Old 01-29-14, 06:23 AM
gasconguy
Driver

Antolope - thank you very much. That is exactly what I plan on doing, but it was unclear to me. At this point it sounds like at the very least I will not need the TYTO, and possibly not the ADBOX1 (depends on the bells and whistles) - I really don't need any chimes in my life, but I need to make sure that nothing important is disabled. If it is 100% only about retaining the factory amp and sounds, then I will probably forego it. It's $130 as cheap as I can find it so it would really help not to have to get it! So far what I have is:

JVC HU
4 CH Amp for doors
Mono Amp for sub
Metra ASWC
6.5 speakers front
5.25 speakers rear
Sub in enclosure
Metra dash kit

Hopefully I am good to go with this stuff. I appreciate your response, it helps a lot in the way I am buying everything. Cheers.
Old 02-16-14, 10:21 AM
Antolope
10th Gear

Oh Boy, this is a bit embarrassing but better it come out now because I am trying to help whoever finds this thread and needs the help that I needed.

In my last post I stated that I had to take my OEM HU and chop it up into pieces to make the NAV and Climate Controls come back. It was either this or pay Beatsonic the outrageous amount of money for an RX-82 adapter I thought I would need.

It turns out that I did not need the Beatsonic adapter nor did I need to tear apart the OEM HU. The Metra 99-8159s face kit I purchased came with an OHM resistor. The instructions that came with that kit were incomplete and did not mention the OHM resistor so I did not know what it was for and tossed it in the trash.

I found out later that by inserting one end of the OHM resistor in the pin 9 and the other end in pin 10 of that extra connector I've been referring to in my previous posts, I could get my climate controls and factory NAV back. I still don't have sound but had my instructions from the mtera kit been complete, I would not have had to destroy my stock OEM unit.

So for whoever this may help, If you have the 08 RX-400h with factory NAV, you can very inexpensively replace the Factory HU with an aftermarket radio and make it so that you can reinstall the OEM HU with out a problem if you ever have to. As a final note here's my complete list:

1) Metra Axxess ASWC-1 UNIVERSAL STEERING WHEEL CONTROL (eBay $40-$50)
2) Metra Axxess AX-ADBOX1 Factory Integration Adapter (integrates the OEM amp) (eBay $90)
3) Metra Axxess AX-ADTY01 ADBOX Stereo Installation Harness (So I don't need to splice into factory wires, just plug and play) (eBay $18)
4) PIONEER AVH-X3500BHS AVH-X4500BT PARKING BRAKE BYPASS (eBay - find the one for your particular radio model $20)
6) Metra 99-8159S (met-998159s) Select Lexus RX Double DIN Installation Dash Kit the fascia of course.
7) Metra Axxess AX-USB-35EXT USB + 3.5 Waterproof Cable w/ Covered Panel (eBay $12)
8) Mini USB Dual Cig 2-Port Car Charger Adaptor (eBay 3 for $6)

Here's the instructions from the Metra kit I am referring to, hope this helps:
Attached Thumbnails Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?-metra998159s.png  
Old 02-16-14, 02:47 PM
RX330iPad
Rookie

I can vouch for the fact that you don't need the beatsonic kit, the metra is just fine and as you can see works with my iPad Mini setup.
I

Oh Boy, this is a bit embarrassing but better it come out now because I am trying to help whoever finds this thread and needs the help that I needed.

In my last post I stated that I had to take my OEM HU and chop it up into pieces to make the NAV and Climate Controls come back. It was either this or pay Beatsonic the outrageous amount of money for an RX-82 adapter I thought I would need.

It turns out that I did not need the Beatsonic adapter nor did I need to tear apart the OEM HU. The Metra 99-8159s face kit I purchased came with an OHM resistor. The instructions that came with that kit were incomplete and did not mention the OHM resistor so I did not know what it was for and tossed it in the trash.

I found out later that by inserting one end of the OHM resistor in the pin 9 and the other end in pin 10 of that extra connector I've been referring to in my previous posts, I could get my climate controls and factory NAV back. I still don't have sound but had my instructions from the mtera kit been complete, I would not have had to destroy my stock OEM unit.

So for whoever this may help, If you have the 08 RX-400h with factory NAV, you can very inexpensively replace the Factory HU with an aftermarket radio and make it so that you can reinstall the OEM HU with out a problem if you ever have to. As a final note here's my complete list:

1) Metra Axxess ASWC-1 UNIVERSAL STEERING WHEEL CONTROL (eBay $40-$50)
2) Metra Axxess AX-ADBOX1 Factory Integration Adapter (integrates the OEM amp) (eBay $90)
3) Metra Axxess AX-ADTY01 ADBOX Stereo Installation Harness (So I don't need to splice into factory wires, just plug and play) (eBay $18)
4) PIONEER AVH-X3500BHS AVH-X4500BT PARKING BRAKE BYPASS (eBay - find the one for your particular radio model $20)
6) Metra 99-8159S (met-998159s) Select Lexus RX Double DIN Installation Dash Kit the fascia of course.
7) Metra Axxess AX-USB-35EXT USB + 3.5 Waterproof Cable w/ Covered Panel (eBay $12)
8) Mini USB Dual Cig 2-Port Car Charger Adaptor (eBay 3 for $6)

Here's the instructions from the Metra kit I am referring to, hope this helps:

Quick Reply: Beatsonic harness vs. Alternatives?